Originally Posted by hatari
Kevin,
While I agree with most of what you have above, there are plenty of reports of M1 Carbine in Korea failing to cycle in sub-freezing temps, and plenty of reports that the .30 carbine round failed to penetrate the quilted coats that the Chicoms wore, and that is not all on 300 yard shots.
I�ve never seen it, and I don�t believe it. At long range, heavy clothing can hinder the bullet, but inside 100 yards, no clothing is stopping or significantly slowing a .30 Carbine FMJ. I�ve heard that story repeated countless times, but I�ve never seen any official military report or test to substantiate it. There was some conjecture in some military reports that said that �could� be a factor, that�s all I�ve seen. I say failures to stop were due to either highly motivated enemy soldiers, or shots at ranges beyond the intent of the M1 Carbine.

The M1 Carbine has sights graduated for 300 yards, and I can hit out to that distance with my carbine. But the cartridge is really a 150 yard round. Beyond that range and you should expect that effectiveness goes down pretty quick. So I say that those failures were due to longer shots. Until I see some substantial testing that shows otherwise, that�s what I�ll choose to believe. Most tests I�ve seen show the M1 Carbine out-penetrating the 5.56 out to 150 yards. So I maintain that within the rifle�s intended purpose, it was not only adequate for the job, but damn near ideal.

Originally Posted by hatari
I'll also attest to its effectiveness as a PDW since that is my choice for home.
Dammm good choice sir. The M1 Carbine is a super reliable rifle, and so easy to shoot that with just 10 minutes of training, you can have a brand new shooter connecting consistently at 100 yards. The only problem with the cartridge has been cartridge development, the power is there if you load it right. The best round I�m aware of is the Cor-Bon with the Barnes 100 grain X bullet. Inside of 200 yards I�ll confidently say it will put anyone down with much more authority than a 5.56 FMJ. And a .30 Carbine soft point will also put people down with great authority inside of 150 yards. As long as barrier penetration isn�t too much of a concern, the Winchester 110 grain JHP is just devastating. At 100 yards it hits like a .357 magnum at the muzzle.

Even FMJ�s are pretty effective out to about 150 yards, and the .30 Carbine FMJ is really very good at barrier penetration. I shot a round THROUGH a small 12� pine tree at about 50 yards.

I share your enthusiasm. My GI Carbine is the one rifle everyone in the house not only knows how to use, but they�re both confident and competent with it. Good choice my friend.