Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The .30 Carbine has NEVER had a penetration issue. Inside 200m, it will out-penetrate a .223. The problem with the Carbine in Korea was using it beyond 300m, something it was never intended to do. The Carbine was so loved and so favored, and so damn good at what it did, people forgot that it wasn't a main issue battle rifle. They kept asking more and more of the design, and were surprised and offended when they found the limits. By today's standards, the M1 Carbine is a damn good PDW.

Kevin,
While I agree with most of what you have above, there are plenty of reports of M1 Carbine in Korea failing to cycle in sub-freezing temps, and plenty of reports that the .30 carbine round failed to penetrate the quilted coats that the Chicoms wore, and that is not all on 300 yard shots. There are interviews with Korean War Vets - on both sides- that support this.

You are 100% on target with this:"... people forgot that it wasn't a main issue battle rifle. They kept asking more and more of the design, and were surprised and offended when they found the limits. "

It was never designed or intended to be a Main Issue Battle Rifle, yet was pressed into that service.

I'll also attest to its effectiveness as a PDW since that is my choice for home.

yeah, and the garand would freeze up too, same action. Solution was to pee on them. As to the quilted chinese a lot of that is attributed to big quilted cold weather clothing and a half starved chinese. There is a clip somewhere of firing a carbine into a telephone poll. I would not want one shot at me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO