I've had a few bummer 1911's out of about fifteen or so I've owned over the years. One was a stainless AMT Hardballer. It seemed fancy compared to the old Series 70 Gov't Colt that I had at the time. The Colt had lousy sights, but it always fed the the 230 gr. ball ammo I could afford. The Hardballer was supposed to make me a hip combat shooter at my local club. Problem was the damned thing jammed so often I seldom completed a match. The older members tried to help me with it but nobody could make it run reliably.

I had a stainless Series 80 Gov't that was temperamental. It would throw a wreck just often enough I never trusted it. A Colt Gold Cup broke roll pins in the rear sight. It's front sight took off to parts unknown during a match. I finished the match, score took a decided down turn with no front sight! smile

The last one was a Kimber Tactical 4" gun that was fouled up right out of the box. It shot about 18" low at 25 yards. Turned out it had the wrong size front sight on it. Kimber took care of that. Then the MIM magazine catch broke. That was just under 800 rounds through the gun and the mag catch just crumbled into my right palm during a shot string and dropped the partially loaded mag out of the gun. I put an Ed Brown steel part in for a replacement. The right side safety lever got excessively loose early on and required a new safety be fitted. Then it started having extraction problems and it had Kimber's bad attempt at external extractors. I didn't care for it any more and swapped it off.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.