Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I have been wrong before, but that looks like a magazine issue to me. Does it behave that way with different magazines or always with that one?

(Top pic. Bottom pic, not so much.)

Agreed! Only 1911 mags I run are the Wilson Combat 8 rounders and the Chip McCormic Power Mag 8 rounders. IMO, most factory supplied 1911 mags are pretty crappy. A great 1911 mag sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

I agree on the mags you listed above. But as Topcat said earlier, The Colt 7 round (not eight) made by Checkmate with the dimple on the follower is the Gold standard for .45 ACP. They have the capital "C" stamped on the baseplate. If your using new (not damaged, dropped)Colt 7 rounder's and getting FTF's, then it is time to look at the gun, the gun setup,the ammo and the shooter. In checking:

After the gun has had 3-4 hundred rounds through it at minimum.
Gun should be cleaned and lubed.
Use a solid two handed grip.
Quality of Ammo. Correct taper crimp. Correct OAL, Correct case length,primer seating etc. In testing try not to use "light per caliber bullets". IE: 185gr for 45 ACP.
Spring weight 16-18 lbs. should be used in testing.
Check for any defects/burrs on the breach face. Smoothness of the firing pin opening.
Check the breach face/extractor clearance.
Check for any binding of the spring, guide rod, slide and frame.

Feed ramp:
A lot of good guns are ruined by a novice trying to "polish" the feed ramp. You see a lot of used guns with highly polished feed ramps. Well, that might be why they are for sale. Polish means polish. No metal removal should be done. If you have a rough feed ramp, just hit the high points. 600,1000 grit wet/dry,or better yet, some fine crocus cloth should only be used.

One possible problem to look at closer.
OAL of loaded ammo. Using OAL specs out of the loading manuals and using the truncated type bullets, I have run into problems of the loaded rounds being too long. They will load in the magazine fine, but if you strip the rounds out one at a time using your thumb on the case where the slide would strip the round, as the stack rises, the rounds will hang up in the magazine. Try seating a little deeper. sometimes even .003" is enough. Sometimes, on some bullet styles, you won't be even be close to the OAL listed in some manuals. Adjust your load accordingly. Pressures increase with deeper seated bullets.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.