Originally Posted by TWR

A buddy that shoots 1911's competitively was there so I let him look at it, extractor felt fine to him and he couldn't see anything obvious so he shot it. It worked fine for him. He watched me shoot it and noticed I had my thumb under the safety. He wondered if I was putting pressure on the slide with the safety so I put my thumb on top of the safety and it ran fine for 3-4 mags until I engaged the slide lock with my other thumb.

Changed up trying to get a good grip and wound up putting it on safe while shooting and had more failures to feed but always on the last round and all 6 mags did it at least once.

Have not been following all the dialog on your issues, but was scanning the thread and noticed the above. I believe your problem is clear. If a vetted 1911 shooter can run your pistol without issue, yet you have issues, and he immediatley noticed bad form with your technique, which would cause your problems....then it is you, not the pistol.

I've carried a 1911 professionally, have shot a 1911 competitively, and have recieved a great deal of training along the way. All the great shooters in my circles shoot "straight thumbs". When shooting straight thumbs on a 1911, one of the fundemental rules are for your thumb to stay over the safety, except for the moment you either re-engage the safety, or you exchange magazines. Without question, the straight thumb technique is superior to all other techniques, past or present, in use today. There is an exception, however, in that it is often a difficult technique to master for a 1911 novice. The same pros who instruct, train, and utilize straight thumbs on a 1911, will routinely push "thumb over thumb" on a novice with the 1911.

Based on your words above, especially if I correctly understand that your pistol has a poorly fitted safety, I recommend you start with an old school "thumb over thumb" technique, and stick with (7) seven rounds in proven magazines while vetting and learning the pistol. I'd also recommend you get some trigger time with someone who has mastered straight thumbs on a 1911 and who is a capable instructer, to run you and your pistol through the proper paces. In addition, you may need to have someone correct your poorly fit safety, so that it is crisp and positive in the on and off postitions while readily operated with your thumb.

Best of luck!

Last edited by GaryVA; 07/20/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood