Back in the bad old days, a buddy of mine bought a satin-nickel Combat Commander, remember those? It choked and gagged on hardball, wadcutters, anything and everything imagineable, and you couldn't get it to feed a Silvertip for anything.

As it turns out, somebody at Colt had mismarked a .38Super/9mm slide, and had it satin-nickeled (that finish wasn't available from Colt except in .45, which was the marking on the slide). The breechface was cut for .38Super, which was too small for a .45 case to work. After his father(a pretty good pistolsmith in his own right) opened the breechface, it ran like a champ.

The '70 Series guns get a lot of praise from some quarters, but none from me, that, to me, was the "bad old days" when Colt couldn't do much right. I've had finger bushings break, roll pins shear(Gold Cup) front sights fly off, you name it. Towards the '90s, things got a good deal better, and the new Colts seem pretty good, if you can find one..............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.