Not intended as a counterpoint to your post, just following it.

The 1911 earned a great reputation as a reliable man stopper doing what it was conceived to do - work in the mud and blood of battle. For that it was purposely made to be loose. It can also be tightened up considerably and be very accurate.

But the two goals are functionally opposed.

Not many people (except soldiers) carry a gun in muddy, dusty, icy conditions. Sure, lots carry a 1911 concealed or otherwise, but they're not sleeping in a foxhole or a trench of spending 24 hours a day in a swamp for a few weeks at a time. The gun lives in a fairly clean environment.

However, lots and lots and lots of people are playing games with 1911's - ID this, IP that, I don't follow those so don't even know all the various abbreviations. Other people shoot at targets on indoor or outdoor ranges, and even the alphabet games put an emphasis on precise accuracy at times.

So folks take a perfectly functional self defense piece that can be very dirty and fire a 7 round 3-4" group with no problem. And they look at that 4" group and say, "what a POS!". I want an accurate gun.

So, they tighten it up after the purchase, or they complain vehemently to the manufacturers who tighten it up from the factory, and go 180 degrees away from reliability in search of accuracy. And then complain when that gun isn't 100% reliable.

As with any post, this will piss of those who, as the Buddhists say, are identified with their possessions and will refute me with a story of their sample of one 1911 that will shoot 1" at 50 yards and is also uber reliable, so there!, but I will stick to my point.

Get a 1911 that rattles and it will probably go bang every time far more often than it needs to under very harsh conditions. And hit a man size target where it hurts out to as far as you'd need to. Make it a target piece and it will be more finicky and require more cleaning and lubrication.

Take your pick.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!