Originally Posted by Tanner
I've seen both elk and big mule deer go quite a fugging ways with wrecked lungs. Broken shoulders...? Not so much.

Tanner

Can't say I have seen that, at least not with expanding bullets and at least modest velocity. I have seen elk go a couple hundred yards with two wrecked lungs, but its always been steep downhill and they had only a few seconds to do so.

I hadn't planned to kill this lion, but decided to after the third chase. Since I hadn't planned to kill it, dumbass me only had .38 FMJs...MISTAKE...he DID live for several minutes with 2 rounds through his lungs. Dogs caught him on the ground. That was a trip to the vet and a new pair of shorts. Lesson learned the hard way. Broke shoulders would have helped for sure here, but I think the schitty bullet was more of an issue than the lung shot. Critters (and lions especially) normally die quickly with expanding bullets through the lungs, even at lowly 22LR speeds.

[Linked Image]

FMJs and hard casts are a no-no for hunting...unless CNS shots are in the mix. This is one of the few times I think bullet design is more important than placement, within reason. By placement I mean shoulders vs pure lung...shoot them in the guts/ass and all bets are off.