Originally Posted by 4th_point
HuntnShoot,

Which part of the shoulder, high or low? I haven't seen much meat on the high shoulder.

Jason

I come from a long line of breeders, so I was taught to shoot 'in the crease'. Whether through luck or whatever, I've kept the vast majority of shots thereabouts, and animals have died fast.

I like the 'aim for the opposite shoulder' that BobinNH mentioned, but I've shot up meat that I was unhappy about when doing that. It does work well though. I don't like to aim at meat that I can use. We turn shoulders into sausage and salami.

I don't like the high lung shots that were part of the rodeo stories earlier, and I've seen difficulties with these and animals not acting like they were hit. They died though. I've yet to see the rodeos last for miles, but I'm not calling BS. It just hasn't happened to me or those I've hunted with.

Given the limitations I deal with in my gun, optics, typical game ranges where I do the majority of my hunting, and my preference to save meat I like the lungs as a target. Trying to come up with another good place to shoot at animals that allow for smaller aimpoints because they are closer. I think the neck/shoulder junction spiner' is a viable choice. It will have to be a concerted effort though, because I trained myself for years to aim where I do without having to think about it. Most of the shooting happens pretty fast, as most of the animals I see and have taken, regardless of distance, aren't just standing around waiting to be shot, like they do on the shows.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.