Chuck,

I get what you're saying when referring to the examples you used, but I have been using the Rapid Z enough to say it is far superior to most of the ballistic reticles. This is due to it having wind references (5 and 10 mph values) and because of the Zeiss calculator which aids in picking the correct magnification to align the sub tensions with the load being used. Is it as precise as dialing? Absolutely not. Is it accurate enough to put one in the vitals of a Whitetail out to the limits of the reticle? Absolutely. After using the Zeiss software, I EASILY made hits on my plates, 8" out to 500, 12" at 600. In fact, I never missed a plate with winds coming from about 4:30, gusting to 13 mph.

This is gonna sound bad, but the beauty of the Rapid Z is not having to memorize my come ups. I simply use the labeled lines. For the 'tweener ranges, it's very easy to bracket. Still plenty precise enough to put one in the vitals. For me, it is much quicker than referencing my dope chart and dialing. If using the Zeiss, I do still keep a wind value chart taped to my stock, but it is still less material to reference than when dialing. Admittedly, if I would simply settle on one load, then memorizing my dope would be much easier, but I like to experiment with different loads�

Wanted to emphasize that not all ballistic reticles are the same. I have not seen one that begins to approach the intuitiveness or effectiveness of the Rapid Z. If using a basic ballistic reticle like the LRD or Burris Ballistic Plex, dialing definitely has the edge. If shooting beyond the limits of the Rapid Z, dialing, again has the edge. But, up to the limits of a Rapid Z Reticle, it is a better mousetrap for most hunting.

I'll try and get some pictures up through the Rapid Z in a few days.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 09/25/14. Reason: spelling

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14