Chuck,

I have not timed shots with either the Rapid Z or Mil based reticles. I only know that it feels quicker to me to range, line up on or between the appropriate yardage lines in the Rapid Z and squeeze off the shot. I don't have to refer to a drop chart, only my wind value chart. With my LRHS or SS, I have to refer to my drop and wind value chart, dial the appropriate mil value on the elevation turret and hold the appropriate amount for wind on the reticle. I have not timed it, but have done both processes enough to know that it FEELS like referencing my drops and dialing takes me more time to do.

As far as target size goes, I've got three 8" round plates and one 12" round plate. I set up so that the 8" plates are at 300, 400 and 500, and the 12" plate at 600. I've used the Rapid Z in a 3-9 Conquest with my .308 barrel and the 2-10 HD5 with my .260 barrel. With the .308, I'm shooting 155gr Scenars at about 2873fps. The Zeiss Calculator said at my environmental conditions that 8x is where I want to be and that has worked perfectly. With the .260, I've played with it using 3 different loads, 140gr Berger Hybrids at 2750 (8.5x), 140gr Hybrids at 2700 (8x) and 130gr VLDs at 2911 (10x). In every instance, the Zeiss calculator has been right on, allowing me to consistently make hits on my plates out to the limits of the reticle. The Zeiss calculator provides the appropriate mag in .5x increments. The zoom ring on my Zeiss are marked in .5x increments. Setting it consist of glancing at the mag ring and verifying I am on the appropriate mag. Unlike using an elevation turret, the magnification required does not change from one distance to the next, which is nice.

I get what you are saying about target size. As targets get smaller, there would be a point where the Rapid Z would be a detriment. No way I'd be trying to hit 1" targets with that reticle. However, on my 8" plates, which are a smaller target than a typical Whitetail's vitals, I have found the Rapid Z to be no hindrance at all. I consistently get hits on my plates all the way out to the limits of the reticle, 600 yards. There is one advantage The Rapid Z has over my LRHS that I have definitely observed. The Rapid Z's reticle is more usable during the last ten minutes of legal shooting light. I loose the windage marks on the LRHS during the last few minutes. I can see the range lines and windage marks of the Rapid Z just a few minutes longer.

Dialing definitely has some advantages. It's more precise. It is better for small targets. I can stretch things out MUCH farther than the Rapid Z. If I want to play at farther than 600, I put the LRHS on. Only takes a minute. I haven't hunted with the Rapid Z yet. Will be doing so this fall. For the hunting I do in the places I hunt, I think it will do just fine, and for me, requires fewer mental gymnastics.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14