My experiences mirror yours, FormD.

I'll submit this anecdote:

This summer, I competed in a tactical shoot. The course of fire was meant to push you on speed, a typical stage would be 8 minutes to engage 10-12 targets ranging from point blank to ~1200 yards. All targets were at different distances, some would require alternative (non-prone) positions, and if you missed a target on the first shot you could take up to three more for lesser points.

It was an individual competition, but we shot in pairs. The shooter I was paired with was using a Bushnell HDMR with some type of Horus reticle. During the first half of the shoot, he held both windage and elevation using his reticle. I started to feel bad for him because he wasn't having time to engage many of the targets, and was struggling to get hits as well.

After a fourth poor stage result, he switched to dialing elevation, as I had been the whole time. He started connecting better that I was! Up til then I had thought he was either a poor shooter or his gun wasn't shooting well. At the end of the day, I beat him by a few points due to getting many more hits on the earlier stages, but I'm certain he was the better shooter. When it came time for the prize table, it meant the difference between a Bushnell ERS scope and an air rifle!

I've been told there are situations where the Horus is a good choice, and it certainly gives you lots of elevation AND windage hold references. With small targets and lots of time pressure, it wasn't an advantage for that shooter that day.

Empirical results rule!