Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I am not a sniper so dots work fine for sub 400-500 yard hunting situations. If I am farther away then I sneak(which is more fun than fiddling with a scope anyway).

Now if you are shooting past 500 yards then a turret is way more accurate and easier. I don't so it's a moot point for ME.

Carry on with this badass, hardcore sniper conversation chit.....grin

My thoughts exactly "hardcore Sniper conversation". Funny how times have changed. In early 1979 I was ordered to attend scout sniper training in Quantico VA. Up until that time I had a lot of good buddies in the Marine Corps. Once I returned to the FMF, all my buddies treated me as if I had leprosy.

Now it's cool to be or should I say play a SNIPER.

My issued rifle back then was M40 it was topped with a Redfield tombstone 3-9 scope. We were ordered to set it on 8 power and don't touch it again. We sighted in for 600 meters and held over/held under. We learned the trajectory. We were NOT shooting at 6" or 12" targets. Hits were easy if you knew the distance! The hardest was judging the distance correctly.

With todays technogy in accurate dial scopes and range finders...imo it's real easy to play sniper today!

This is the 'hunting optics' forum.

6x and dots works 99% of the time for shooting at a deer.

Open sight or duplex.

Or an uberplex or knobs or whatever. And then the wind fuucks it all up....