Originally Posted by prairie_goat

No, it's not easier to hold "up" for everything. Sight in 2" or so high at 100 with about any reasonably flat shooting cartridge (or keep your turreted rig dialed a couple inches high at 100 while hunting), and there is no holding or dialing or anything except pulling the trigger, out as far as most big game is shot. There is also no worry about shooting over a big game animal's back with such a zero, as the mid range trajectory isn't enough to worry about.

Actually what nailed the coffin in running 200 or 250 yard on the turret when hunting was a miss high. 80-90 yards I could see the head and little more than about 4 inches of back on the other side of a rise. Had 250 dialed in and aimed center. Creased the the hair. Ran a circle and presented a full on broadside shot. That one didn't miss. Around then is when I also started using a 100m zero on m4's instead of a 50/200.

I've done it both ways. It takes more time to read this sentence than it does to decide whether to hold .5 or 1 mil. For that matter there's no reason that one has to do that.... High shoulder shoot everything and from muzzle to 300 or so it lands in the chest. For me and what I do day to day, it makes no sense to run the hunting rifles any different.