I just received my 6x42 SS from Rick - thanks Rick!

I mounted it on my Montana 7mm-08 in Talley lows, have not taken it to the range yet, maybe tomorrow...

Initial impressions:

I remember thinking that the reticle on my 3-9x42 was a little thicker than my previous 6x42 even when compared with the 3-9x42 on 6x. Now, having had a chance to use the 3-9x42 for 4-5 months and hunt with it, the reticle seems MUCH thicker than the 6x42. The reticle on the 3-9x42 is well suited for low light use or precision short to mid range shooting, I like the 3-9x42 reticle better.

The turretts on my old 6x42 were a little mushy - not as bad as some people describe, but a little mushy. The turretts on the new 6x42 are much improved. Crisp, tactile and audible clicks. They actually feel a little better than the turrets on my 3-9x42. The 3-9x42 turretts are significantly stiffer and smaller. The turretts on the 6x42 could conceivably get bumped while carrying, the 3-9x42 turrets highly unlikely.

The glass on the new 6x42 is much improved. The brief side by side comparison I did with my son it seems as good as the 3-9x42 glass.

Eye relief appears to be about the same between the two w/ the 3-9x42 on 6x.

Overall, the new 6x42 seems significantly improved and a heck of a value. My initial thoughts are that I probably would prefer another 3-9x42 over the 6x42 on my Montana. I'm going to leave it alone for now, and shoot it as is for awhile.

David