Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by ULA24
There are some big 250lb+ whitetail deer in PA in the thick woods. Lots of guys use a 30-06 or heavier in the belief that they need to need to put them down fast. In Potter County for example, on opening day, if a hit deer runs 40 or 50 yards, someone else is going to put lead in it, then try to claim it. JD Jones wrote an interesting article that he sold a lot of 45-70 Contender (pistol) barrels to PA hunters who wanted to put down deer fast, with out them running far. Whether you think bigger calibers put down big whitetail deer faster, is a matter of opinion. Plenty of people do believe it though, and they surely practice it--right or wrong.

I've been hearing tales of 250 lb PA deer all my life. Next one I see will be my first.

We ain't talking Sasquatch here gentleman, big deer do exist in PA. I saw a 223 pound dressed whitetail get weighed in this year, and a 217 pounder last year. Game Warden says he sees lots of big deer each year. Mind you, these were Chester County farm fed fatties in my area.

I still try to hunt Potter County each year, as often as I can. I can clearly see other hunters from my stand on opening day. No doubt that if your deer runs 50 yards, it might likely get shot by someone else.

I am not subscribing to the big caliber dropping deer fast theory; I often use a 257 Ackley and a 260 myself. I am just saying lots of guys really do believe it 100% percent, like it or not. I still see plenty of old Remington 760 30-06's loaded with 180 grainer round nose. These guys will flat out machine gun these deer until they drop. I have literally seen it happen a bunch of times. Guess what, it does work. There might be better ways to kill deer fast, but that method does in fact work--lol.