Home
It's that time again! We've all forgotten about the miserable weather from last year and pray for a bit warmer weather this year!

We are looking to have the Gathering at our place again, just west of the big city of Gilmer, TX, but a bit later in April due to scheduling conflicts here.

Looks like the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, April 24, 25, and 26 will be the dates.

I am hoping that everyone who was here last year can make it again and those who couldn't make it, will be able to join us!

There will be eating, drinking, lie telling, singing (if I can get curdog4570 to bring his guitar whistle ) rifle, handgun, and shotgun shooting, bullshooting (different from lying wink ), fishing, archery, and a snipe hunt.

We can shoot out to 350 yards and will have several shooting contests set up.

The Prairie Dog Shoot will be featured, any rifle, any caliber, any sights or optics, any position, one shot, cold bore at a 1/2" orange dot on a life-size silhouette of a prairie dog at 200 yards. Closest to the center of the dot wins. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off.

Last year, we had planned on a military rifle shoot, traditional archery shoot, an Elk Shoot, and a pistol duel (using a dueling tree, not each other! eek grin )but we got weathered out. Those are options again as well as any other suggestions y'all might have.

Oh, we HAVE to have a BPCR shoot! grin ( I think I'll drop a hammer on sharpsguy's hands a couple of times to handicap him. Accidently, of course. whistle grin )

Kids are welcome as this is a family affair. There is plenty of camping spots available, a couple of beds inside the "Barn House", and hotels in Gilmer, roughly 15 miles away if that's your idea of "roughing it". grin

I expect most folks to come in on Friday, the 24th, and most folks stay until Sunday afternoon.

Once we have an idea of how many folks can come, we will start looking seriously at the menus and accoutrements.

We had a great time last year and I think this year will be even better! I hope y'all can make it!

Ed

Cool! Sounds like fun. And I probably don't even need to bring table, or chairs, or cooking pans...
Havta see what the future holds. Things are still hectic. But I got it on my calendar.
You mean Barbara didn't leave you on account of the last one?

Not exactly, but he has been spending a lot of time in South Texas. grin

Not sure how my future is going to be, I was at the back Doctor yesterday and he is going to call in the next few days with an operation date. Said lots of stuff wrong with my back but he is just going to try to fix a little of it this time. If possible, I will be there. miles
The only complaint I had was the eggs were late in the morning.
Someone needs to wake that guy up about 6 am this time. Or even 5. Cook needs to be awake to cook. blush
Oh the morning cook will be there.

And he will site in the rifle this time. Makes shooting the PD a little easier.
"Make that three hard boiled eggs."

"Do you have stewed prunes?"
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Make that three hard boiled eggs."

"Do you have stewed prunes?"

No, but I know where a Hamm's beer is... grin

I hope you can make it, Bob. Prayers continue for y'all.

Ed
Originally Posted by Wtxj
The only complaint I had was the eggs were late in the morning.
Someone needs to wake that guy up about 6 am this time. Or even 5. Cook needs to be awake to cook. blush

That can be arranged! eek laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Well, she's the one who has kept asking "when are we going to have the next one?" grin

Are you bringing the lovely Peggy with you this time? She's a LOT better looking than you and has better manners, to boot. laugh

Ed
I'm out Ed. I'll be in Orange shooting that weekend.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

You're hurting the one good feeler I had left, you know.

I'm truly sorry you won't be there, but I understand that fame and fortune come before us mere mortals. wink grin

Ed
I have to check the kids calendar. But, I'm not going to let the in-laws cancel me this year.

Dave
Y'all have a big time!
Someone needs to wake that guy up about 6 am this time.

Hey, I woke you up at the time requested. Just for hurting my feelers, I refuse to cook bacon in a Wok again. Just kidding that worked out fine, except for David eating it half raw. miles
eating it half raw... I dont' let it get warm... its ham after all....
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I'm truly sorry you won't be there, but I understand that fame and fortune come before us mere mortals. wink grin

Ed

I keep telling everybody how tough it is to be me. Nobody understands but you Ed.
Well I'm not a real cook so I didn't know everyone would be up looking at me wondering where the eggs and bacon were. But I got busy real quick. With the help of some of the ladies, Miles and Patrick we got it done and eaten. Ladies even washed dishes.
Does the cook have to wash his hands, put on long pants and use a clean skillet?
Weather was cool and wet, so was dressed.
I believe I washed hands and can cook 36 eggs in a wok, had two of them, one for bacon and an electric for the eggs. Worked out good. Ed's got a real neat set up for this type deal.
It's northeast TX so lots of rain that year. Not this year, going to be perfect that weekend.

to add: All the rain that weekend will be down in SE area of TX, Orange area.
Originally Posted by rost495

no, it ain't. bacon needs to be cooked.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Does the cook have to wash his hands, put on long pants and use a clean skillet?

Long pants, anyway... smirk

Don't you put that mojo on me.

lol

Ed

I keep telling everybody how tough it is to be me. Nobody understands but you Ed.

Man you are starting to channel Travis and it is skeering me eek
Originally Posted by ironbender

crispy!
Sounds like a blast Ed, I need to make this one, at least for the BPCR shoot, I'll see if Sharpsguy will ride with me for some shooting lessons. shocked laugh
Originally Posted by eh76

crispy!

Yes, crispy..................and peppered. wink
chewy smile

And yes to another Sharps
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
chewy

sick

sick and I agree

To quote our Firearms Unit Motto; "If you ain't miserable, you ain't trainin'!". grin

Ed
. Wash hands BEFORE cooking, yes. Afterwards, it's your choice. grin

The long pants part depends on whether you enjoy having folks laugh at you or with you... laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by gunner500

crispy!

SACRILEGE!! And Blasphemy. I expected better from the two of you.

You might as well be a Jew or a Muslim. grin

[I can get by with saying that since Paladin feels the same way and he'll likely be there WITH HIS 475 LINEBAUGH ]

Well, she's the one who has kept asking "when are we going to have the next one?" grin

Are you bringing the lovely Peggy with you this time? She's a LOT better looking than you and has better manners, to boot. laugh

Ed

I told her it was a stag deal this year. She showed me up too bad on the pistol shooting last year.
And who's fault was that?

Ed
Ed sent you a text message last night.
[quote=rost495]eating it half raw... I dont' let it get warm... its ham after all....

crispy!

SACRILEGE!! And Blasphemy. I expected better from the two of you.

You might as well be a Jew or a Muslim. grin

[I can get by with saying that since Paladin feels the same way and he'll likely be there WITH HIS 475 LINEBAUGH ] [/quote
]Actually our bacon is cured just like the ham. And then smoked. ANd left to dry... its edible as is. I eat quite a bit as is too, but I do like it fried. But just a bit... still like it nice and well, lets say maybe Medium... a bit of crisp on the outer edge and its more than well done enough.
medium, then, in lieu of chewy...

Not sure why I'm worried about it, Miles cooked it all last year smile
And it all disappeared. The raw, the medium and the well done, all gone. When it got to a particular persons doneness, they got some and ate it, and I kept adding bacon to the Wok. miles
The sacred never-ending wok of bacon!!!!
The 2 greatest meals I've ever eaten were chewy pepper bacon with cinnamon toast crunch and brisket with a glazed donut.

I like mine chewy.
LOL, gotta firm up that fat.................okay, 'semi-crispy' grin
LOL, gotta firm up that fat.................okay, 'semi-crispy' grin

shocked eek you have crossed over to the darkside!
Ed, Rattlesnake said we would be there, unless something awful bad happens.

So count us in!
Randy, you going to camp this time?
Outstanding, Randy! Looking forward to it!

Ed
Randy, you going to camp this time?

We hope to. That driving back and forth last year was the pits, but that was the only way, I could make it.

OK, let's get the bacon deal straight.

Left to warm on a rock in the sun, bacon is good, but a bit chewy.

Cooked ever so slightly, until the fat is starting to clear up with a hint of browning along the edges, where the fat melts away with each bite, the meat warming to a nice pink and firming just enough to add a bit of texture, delicate and tender, is just right.

Cooked until the entire slice is one third the size it started and is browned, brittle, and when dropped shatters like a glass Christmas ornament is, well, that is just wrong.

There is an art to cooking, as well as eating, bacon.

Next time any of us meet up, remind me and I'll tell about the time I salvaged about 75 pounds from a dumpster behind a grocery store. Don't want to make it look like I do such things for a living on a public forum.

I may have to send "The Warden" - she wants to go, but I'll probably still be feeding yearlings.
I'd like to watch the cook frying bacon in shorts! What a dance!
Well Miles Patton is the bacon cook.
Patrick is the sauage cook
We are looking for the an egg cook----------
Hopefully I can make it this year.
I sure don't want to see Miles in shorts!
Originally Posted by ltppowell

me too
No one was in shorts. Little cool in the pine trees for that.
Would like to make it and meet some of you guys, but I won't know until closer to that time if I can make it.

I hope so, too, Pat. You were missed last year, but we did talk about you. laugh

Ed
Better to be talked about than not. I was really bummed about not making it last year.
Pat your the guy to ask on this. Seems clay targets have on the outside of the box to not use in fields where horses etc. can eat the remains. Do you know if any clay's are made that are livestock (horses) safe.
I don't Gordy, but I thought they were only unsafe for swine?
Gordon, it was hogs. The pitch used in old ones were toxic to hogs. But I think they are all enviro safe now for all animals. They don't seem to bother the kids cows any.
Gordon, it was hogs. The pitch used in old ones were toxic to hogs. But I think they are all enviro safe now for all animals. They don't seem to bother the kids cows any.

They don't bother hogs either. We tried it. smile

me too

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Double trouble, this.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

laugh

me too

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Double trouble, this.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

laugh

How would you know....... whistle

laugh !

OK, these are highly trained horses, so was wondering.

me too

laugh

Triple trouble?

OK, these are highly trained horses, so was wondering.

Trained to eat clay targets??????

me too

laugh

How would you know....... whistle

eye ken reed. laugh
All long in the tooth but harmless as can be. grin
Gun ner, r u go in?
Yeah, best drag up a stump and come on Eyeball
Bob, no but would be shot by owner who is a very nice person. You have met her.
Have met the other two. Your next Jerry. Need to shoot the Sharps twice. Once down south, once up North East.
Don't want to get hook on the Sharps, etc., etc.,
10-4, dont inhale the 'Holy Black' for you will be forever HOOKED. laugh

[Linked Image]

grin
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA
I have looked. ET started this mess didn't he.

[Linked Image]

grin

You too?

Yes, he did. lol
Well Miles Patton is the bacon cook.

The only shorts that I will be wearing is my underwear, under my jeans. miles
GOOD!

Yes, he did. lol

He's an evil, evil man! grin

Ed
There was a time I felt that I really needed a Sharps rifle. But I got over it.
Ed has a really nice place....... I think.

Can't see much of it on account of the damn trees.
Lots of trees!!!
There was a time I felt that I really needed a Sharps rifle.

Me too, then I went outside and it seemed all the buffalo and Indians were long gone. miles
I'm hoping the rain goes away for that weekend.

I'm just hoping I can faniggle a way to get there. New tent, new rifle, and got a new hat too! Not looking good. I found out last week they are gonna finnally release mom from rehab hospital where she was for her fall, on the 24th of this month. So that means she's gonna be moving in with us too! I'm Just gonna go ahead and open up a nursing home here.

I'm Just gonna go ahead and open up a nursing home here.

Get you a good staff and then come on up. Prayers from Arkansas for all of them. miles
You and your daughter going to need a break at times.
Remember that. I do understand your thought process on two loved ones, but you both will need some kind of break. You got that, stress will get you both.
I know! Thanks! Just gotta try to get the logistics of all this figgered out.
Originally Posted by milespatton
I'm Just gonna go ahead and open up a nursing home here.

Get you a good staff and then come on up. miles

BOB...BOB, listen carefully...Miles means to hire some good people to help, not get a big stick! eek

You let those wimmen-folk get ahold of a big stick and they'll wear it out on your head! shocked laugh

Seriously, prayers continue from here.

Ed
Miles means to hire some good people to help, not get a big stick!

Ed, you did not know that I knew big words like that, did you? miles
I checked the soccer schedule. It is over the week before.

Looks like I'm in at the moment.

I'll have to write it on my wifes calendar.

Yes, he did. lol

He's an evil, evil man! grin

Ed

Yes, he and Sharpsguy are a dangerous duo. grin
There was a time I felt that I really needed a Sharps rifle.

Me too, then I went outside and it seemed all the buffalo and Indians were long gone. miles

LOL, I saw Indians today and had buffler cutlets and pan gravy for supper. wink
Do I need to get a sharps to come visit? miles
No, just a small notice and a BIG appetite. grin
I usually have the latter. miles
I constantly do.
I guess we should have a couple of extra dozen eggs for your breakfast along with five pounds of bacon and a couple of loaves of bread, a whole hog for lunch, and a slow-roasted steer for supper? grin

Shall we make the tea in a five gallon bucket or a 55 gallon drum? laugh

Ed
I've still got some shoats in the freezer. Now if only I can make it there!!! wink
I've still got some shoats in the freezer. Now if only I can make it there!!!

Could your shoats possible catch a ride with someone else? Send Mike and the shoats. I will watch after them. miles
I've still got some shoats in the freezer. Now if only I can make it there!!! wink

I sure hope you can, Bob!

Ed
Originally Posted by TXRam
Would like to make it and meet some of you guys, but I won't know until closer to that time if I can make it.

Sure hope you can make it! There will be some great folks there and a great time. grin

Ed
I guess we should have a couple of extra dozen eggs for your breakfast along with five pounds of bacon and a couple of loaves of bread, a whole hog for lunch, and a slow-roasted steer for supper? grin

Shall we make the tea in a five gallon bucket or a 55 gallon drum? laugh

Ed

No, grin, one of KW's shoats buried in the coals will be a plenty.
I've still got some shoats in the freezer. Now if only I can make it there!!!

Could your shoats possible catch a ride with someone else? Send Mike and the shoats. I will watch after them. miles

LOL! If Blue was coming, I'd get home to stop by and I'd give em to him. Btw James shot a middlin' size hog on his place last evening with his .35 Whelen. DIL told me now he can finish her sausage he was promising! laugh
I'm sure hoping Blue can make it!

Haven't heard a word out of Brother Bart or some of the other folks who weren't able to make it last year, either.

I guess I'll have to PM them with a personal invite. grin

Ed
we hope to make it. i can cook eggs too! we will have a cooler of venison - smoked sausage, tenderloin, cubed and ground. what cooking utensils/pots/pans are needed?
That would be great!

The folks that have been doing the cooking have been bringing most of their own stuff to cook with and we have several large pans available including a new cast iron Dutch oven and Wtxj left his large cast iron dutch oven here last year. I also have a cast iron griddle that fits on a gas burner. tex n cal left a nice ceramic frying pan here also, last year, and it needs to be broken in properly. grin

I guess the most critical utensil(s) would be large serving spoons, spatula(s), and serving forks.

Ed

Well the Campfire Hog Hunt is in late March, which should generate plenty of sausage for the Gathering smile

Went to the range today. At 100 yards the best 3 shot group from the Shiloh beat the best from the .300 Weatherby smirk Which is encouraging for the Shiloh, and damned annoying for the Roy smile

I did try some Reloader 26 in the Roy, with 210 grain Long Range Accubonds. I wasn't happy with the accuracy, but they certainly were going faster than Nosler says they will. grin

The first load I tried in my Sharps is slightly better than MOA with iron sights at both 300 meters and 400 meters. Tough for my Model 700 in .30-06 to better that.

Can't wait for the Gathering!

Ed

Good thing I'm not going, y'all would just embarrass me with all this "hit what you're aiming at" business.
The first load I tried in my Sharps is slightly better than MOA with iron sights at both 300 meters and 400 meters. Tough for my Model 700 in .30-06 to better that.

Can't wait for the Gathering!

Ed

Uff I think you may outshoot me. I did at least get a load that is extremely consistent on velocity. Now I think the rest is learning to shoot it.

What front sight are you using?

I guess the most critical utensil(s) would be large serving spoons, spatula(s), and serving forks.

Ed

we can handle that.

A 1971 copper penny, shaped and placed by sharpsguy. grin

Ed
somehow I knew you were gonna say that... smile
Load em up Ed. I want to shoot it once in April.

A 1971 copper penny, shaped and placed by sharpsguy. grin

Ed

19th century fiber optics. wink
A 1971 copper penny, shaped and placed by sharpsguy. grin Ed
19th century fiber optics. wink

And just as effective. I tried using the factory blade, but when sharpsguy placed that shaped penny in place, it was like night and day.

The copper reflects light much differently than the nickle-silver does and shows up in contrast much better. There's a reason the "Old Guys" did things. wink

I need to mix up some more "secret recipe" lube when i get back home and get in some practice. I notice that tex n cal has been practicing and I don't want to lose on my own turf. blush grin

Ed
Patrick,

Have you shot that Model 20 Savage withthe new front sight yet? If so, how did it work out?

Hi Bob - I did indeed. It worked fine, after I remembered to take itty bitty screwdrivers to the range with me, to adjust the rear sight. smile I need to do some serious load development for it, although .300 Savages are normally pretty easy to sort out. I carried it some deer hunting, but took no shots with it.

I also carried the 1907 a few times too, but didn't shoot anything with it. I'll try to bring both to the gather. The 1907 is an unusual gun contraption to shoot, and makes you appreciate AR-15's smile
Don't remove the recoil spring ever in that 1907!!!!!! You will curse the day you were born! LOL! They are fun!!

I'm glad that sight worked out ok! I have rifles I would like to bring, it's just getting there will be the hard part!!!
I have indeed taken apart both of the two I own. Luckily the room needed the walls repainting, anyway, when I took the first one apart. blush

One of these days I need to find that box of parts and put the old 1907 back together. It is heavily worn, and in fact the recoil spring had a large amount of visible mechanical wear on it, and needs replacing.

The better of the two:

[Linked Image]

That one had a firing pin gummed & stuck, which I discovered before shooting it. That one I only took apart from the back end smile

I guess I should develop some loads for it. The first ones I tried did about 3 inches at 50 yards, and then started stringing upward as the barrel warmed. I guess that was intended to correct your hold on escaping convicts, as they got farther away grin

Nice looking rifle Pat
What are you bringing to shoot, Gordon?

Ed
All I have is a 308 Rem, same one from last year that was not sighted in at 250. Maybe a 30/40 again that you shot last year.
Maybe the 6.5 x 55
Or the 45-70 lever,
I don't know.
Or the S & W 686 I bought in Oct, still new in the box, needs to be shot.
Will bring two Woks. 5x18 eggs for sure.
And the Jeep so I can drive to range this time.
Bottle of Becky grin
And the Jeep so I can drive to range this time.

What's the matter, you didn't like my tractor driving the hay wagon last year? grin

Ed
Tractor driving was fine.
Gear was left back at my truck I needed, long walk back. Sighting in time was lost. I lost in the shoot.
Going to bring a table also. This is you don't mind me driving back to that field.
Gunner 500
As you and Ed to many letters are talking big guns on the other thread.
Remember you will need one rifle or pistol that will shoot a dime at 250 yards. That will win the one that counts. I believe that cold barrel one shot contest worked out great. I didn't win, but still had fun. That's not your dime either, it's the targets dime.
LOL, I'll be trying to hit it with full buckhorn barrel sights on a Sharps rifle. wink
You fellas sound like you have lots of fun. Would you accept an Okie at this shindig?
They're lettin my sorry butt in, come on down Sig. grin
Thanks gunner. smile
It is my understanding that all are welcome, no matter their handicaps. grin miles
It is my understanding that all are welcome, no matter their handicaps. grin miles

It's true! All are welcome, although anyone from Oklahoma may want to get vaccinated before crossing the Red River. You never know what you might wind up with down here. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
You fellas sound like you have lots of fun. Would you accept an Okie at this shindig?

We DO have fun! We plan on having a lot more fun this year! grin

Get yourself down here.

Ed
Yeah.... once you let the coonasses in, where can you draw a line ? grin
I've even invited Yankees! How's that for celebrating diversity? laugh

Ed
You guys are pretty convincing and I'm up to date on my shots so I'll hook up the R POD and head that way.
Outstanding!

I had to Google R POD. Those are cool trailers!

Ed
Yeah.... once you let the coonasses in, where can you draw a line ? grin

Hey! I resemble that, and those are almost fighten words.

I challenge you to a duel!!!

grin
A duel? COOL! That tops last year's entertainment!

We have to get a good guitarist to play a theme song from a spaghetti western. Maybe "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly"? grin

Randy, you challenged Gene, that means he gets choice of weapons! shocked

Sledgehammers in 5' of water? Railroad ties in deep sand? Deep fryers at 30 paces? laugh

Ed
Outstanding!

I had to Google R POD. Those are cool trailers!

Ed

Me too. They are neat, but for me would have to go with the Casa brand. Think they are made down in Huntsville, right off of I-45 I see them. Seems as I was going too attach an address I have forgotten the real name of this little trailer. All I know is I see the manufacturing site when going down I 45 about 1/2 the way to Houston.
Casita

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

Just a place to put your head at night, the small one.
I looked at the Casita hard before making this decision. It wasn't an easy one. One of the big difference makers is there is a local dealer for the R POD.
Um hea all just how far is this gathering place from TX , AR . OK line ?
I looked at the Casita hard before making this decision. It wasn't an easy one. One of the big difference makers is there is a local dealer for the R POD.

When you get there would like a tour if we have time. Ed keeps us busy.
Originally Posted by ldholton

I don't know. Gilmer, Tx. Look that up on mapping software.

It's about 90 miles from Texarkana to our place. It takes me about 1.5 hours just loafing along. Less if I drive as I usually do. grin

Ed
When you get there would like a tour if we have time. Ed keeps us busy.

Yup, that's me, the old slavedriver! grin LIft that barge, tote that bale, get me a drink, put those targets up, cook that food! grin

Ed
Really ED did all the work.
All set up when I found his house.
I just sat around. That's where the busy came in.
My door is generally open so you're welcome to step in.

Will the trailers and campers be set up at the site or do they need to be at an rv park?

It's about 90 miles from Texarkana to our place. It takes me about 1.5 hours just loafing along. Less if I drive as I usually do. grin

Ed
Not sure about the future , but this is the closest "garthering" I seen yet on my time here. If all is invited? Mrs might be able to come with if that's ok ? Hotels in the area or tent it ? we don't have a camper at this time
A duel? COOL! That tops last year's entertainment!

We have to get a good guitarist to play a theme song from a spaghetti western. Maybe "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly"? grin

Randy, you challenged Gene, that means he gets choice of weapons! shocked

Sledgehammers in 5' of water? Railroad ties in deep sand? Deep fryers at 30 paces? laugh

Ed

Ed, your thinking wrong... Since CD4570 and I are 'Refined Gentlemen', I feel sure that the choice of weapons could only be appreciated by 'men of our caliber'.

whistle grin

Will the trailers and campers be set up at the site or do they need to be at an rv park?

There are a number of places to set up a trailer/camper at our place and not be jammed in, side-by-side. We looked like an RV park last year. grin

Ed
Not sure about the future , but this is the closest "garthering" I seen yet on my time here. If all is invited? Mrs might be able to come with if that's ok ? Hotels in the area or tent it ? we don't have a camper at this time

Absolutely bring the Missus! My bride's feelings would be hurt if other ladies didn't come and we SURE don't want to hurt her feelings! eek laugh

There were a number of the "fairer sex" at last year's Gathering and all seemed to enjoy themselves.

There are hotels in Gilmer, roughly 15 miles from our place, but there are also plenty of tent spots here. Your choice. Hopefully, this year won't be cold and raining like last year. Of course, we're hosting this thing three weeks later in the year this time. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Ed, your thinking wrong... Since CD4570 and I are 'Refined Gentlemen', I feel sure that the choice of weapons could only be appreciated by 'men of our caliber'. whistle grin

WHEW! "Refined Gentlemen"? I'm glad I'm wearing boots! I think I'll go put on my hip waders... eek laugh

Ed

Absolutely bring the Missus! My bride's feelings would be hurt if other ladies didn't come and we SURE don't want to hurt her feelings! eek laugh

There were a number of the "fairer sex" at last year's Gathering and all seemed to enjoy themselves.

There are hotels in Gilmer, roughly 15 miles from our place, but there are also plenty of tent spots here. Your choice. Hopefully, this year won't be cold and raining like last year. Of course, we're hosting this thing three weeks later in the year this time. grin

Ed
Thank you sir I'll keep in touch
Hopefully, this year won't be cold and raining like last year.

Well that did tend to bring us closer together. grin miles
I used one of those tent cot deals. Leaked so I put a 10x 12 plastic tarp over it to keep out what rain I could. Worked so well that the cook for breakfast was late to get up. I slept fine.
Ed's place is set up with a bathroom outdoors in a building. He also rented a blue bathroom out in a parking area where many set up tents.
Ed has a neat home/land set up in the pine trees. Small lake and one big pasture for the shooting with a hill as the backstop.

There are a number of places to set up a trailer/camper at our place and not be jammed in, side-by-side. We looked like an RV park last year. grin

Ed

Thanks Ed.
What type of shooting contests so we want this year, other than the Prairie Dog Shoot?

Military Rifle Shoot? BPCR? Long range (200 yards) .22lr shoot?

Ed
poodle shooter shoot?

smile
We shoot at shooters? eek shocked

Ed
Well on the PDS I would like each person to shoot their own rifle only. Military sounds good, except Bob would win that one.
How about a Sharps at 200 shoot off. 8" steel, hit it you get to continue. Pistol at 100 yards, min. bore of 41 and up.
None I can win but it will be fun watching. Yes and shooting.
Well on the PDS I would like each person to shoot their own rifle only. Military sounds good, except Bob would win that one.
How about a Sharps at 200 shoot off. 8" steel, hit it you get to continue. Pistol at 100 yards, min. bore of 41 and up.
None I can win but it will be fun watching. Yes and shooting.

Thanks, Gordon!

200 yards at an 8" gong with barrel sights on a Sharps is a chip shot. I know of several Shiloh Sharps that will be there and all are 1/2 moa guns. Gonna have to come up with something that is more challenging. grin

As to the PDS, the fellow who took 3rd place last spring did so with a borrowed rifle because he didn't have one, so I'm kinda leaning towards allowing folks to borrow one.
We can put a little "group-loosening solvent" in Bob's coffee to help there, but if Blue shows up, I ain't gonna be the one to doctor his coffee! eek
As to the pistol shooting, Paladin, curdog4570, Blue, and a couple of others would make us move it out to 200 yards + just to keep it sporting! Them boys can shoot!

If we do have a military rifle shoot, we need some guidance such as any era, any sights, any caliber, and course of fire.

What say you guys? We need some help here!

Ed
I think I've got a Krag Jorgenson or two laying around here for an army gun shoot.

Or a 1903

I just gotta get there. Wifey is starting at the physical therapy hospital Monday. Woohoo!! But I still have mom to deal with too.

Bob
Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson Mooning People Targets at say 200 yds with rimfires?
Still praying here, Bob. I sure hope you can make it. I have a sporterized 1917 Eddystone that only has barrel sights. That and an AR15 are my only "military" rifles.
I don't think my Contender Carbine in .30-40 Krag would qualify. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by Seafire
Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson Mooning People Targets at say 200 yds with rimfires?

No way! they need BIG holes in their butts - need Cross & his cannon!
Still praying here, Bob. I sure hope you can make it. I have a sporterized 1917 Eddystone that only has barrel sights. That and an AR15 are my only "military" rifles.
I don't think my Contender Carbine in .30-40 Krag would qualify. grin

Ed

We are trying to send those same vibes back your way too!

I've also got a nice M1917 Winchester mfg "enfield". But I really wanna drag my two '95's out of I'm able to make it. And maybe my old Win 54 and this cool old Mauser sporter I have. I haven't had the opportunity with all the current stuff going on to shoot them as much as I would like.
lessee, pistol at 200 yards, min .41 caliber..scopes okay? grin

I do have a pretty cool old sporterized 03A3. Hopefully the bulge in the barrel will hold for a few more shots...

anyone know anything about K31 Swiss rifles? The local Gander mtn has some for $399. I've heard they are very well made but have never messed with one
And I guess a Mk12 Daniel Defense wouldn't qualify as "military" would it?

grin
Patrick,
I have a K31. It is one of the best shooting rifles I've ever fired!!! I just don't shoot it much. Have a decent supply of that GP100 Swiss ammo laid in. I suppose I have it for a "rainy day", so to speak.
Some were curious as to what my R-Pod is...

[Linked Image]

Nice looking trailer. Not the one I looked at on their web page.
The graphics on the 2015 models has changed quite a bit. It's a nice trailer, perfect for 2 people. I dragged it to WY last fall on my mule deer/pronghorn hunt. It worked very well.
lessee, pistol at 200 yards, min .41 caliber..scopes okay? grin
I do have a pretty cool old sporterized 03A3. Hopefully the bulge in the barrel will hold for a few more shots...
anyone know anything about K31 Swiss rifles? The local Gander mtn has some for $399. I've heard they are very well made but have never messed with one

No scopes on pistols. Iron sights or nothin', buddy! grin

There is a K31 match held locally every spring and folks come from all over to shoot in it. Seems they are very accurate and there's a lot of reloading and casting information out there for them.

Ed
"Randy, you challenged Gene, that means he gets choice of weapons!"

After giving this the amount of attention which it deserves, I've made my choice :

It will be "Negroshooters", using the rules in effect in 1950.

1. Weapons must be made by the duelist himself.

2. No fair using the red rubber inner tubes for material.

3. Stock must be a forked branch from any type tree.

4. Projectiles must be picked up on site. [no fair using the spent bullets which litter the landscape at Ed's place]

5. Duelers face off at 200 yards and advance toward the other, with "Seconds" accompanying them.

6. Shooting commences with the first step and continues until they both get tired.

7. Hiding behind "Seconds" is frowned on, but not impermissible. [Miles is MY Second]
6. Shooting commences with the first step and continues until they both get tired.

I don't know if you can hit each other at 190 yards. laugh
I accept the challenge and I choose Blue (Rio7) as my second...

but, I never heard of a 'Negroshooter'!
[quote=curdog4570 6. Shooting commences with the first step and continues until they both get tired.

I don't know if you can hit each other at 190 yards. laugh [/quote]

You're catching on.

Try getting the real word past the "censor". Besides...... you KNEW what I was talking about, so it worked.

Does Blue know that the Seconds MUST be unarmed?

What are you... a politician? It doesnt say anything about the 2nds being 'unarmed' in the rules... Stop changing the rules as you go, you dont have 'executive order' privileges.

What happens if one was to 'break the rules'?

How about 'verbally admitting, out loud in English, to all present, and in front of witnesses provided by the winner', that the .270 Win is the best all around rifle made, is his favorite caliber rifle, and he wishes he owned at least 1 more.

What are you... a politician? It doesnt say anything about the 2nds being 'unarmed' in the rules... Stop changing the rules as you go, you dont have 'executive order' privileges.

What happens if one was to 'break the rules'?

How about 'verbally admitting, out loud in English, to all present, and in front of witnesses provided by the winner', that the .270 Win is the best all around rifle made, is his favorite caliber rifle, and he wishes he owned at least 1 more.

1. I was older than you in 1950 and so I remember the rules better.

2. The duel is taking place in Texas... so Texas rules apply.

3. You are attempting to gain an unfair advantage since Blue shoots bigger guns than Miles does.

4. What's a "270 Win" ?
Looks like, since there are some discrepancies about the rules, we will have to go 'all the way to the top', for clarification.

Yep, we're going 'straight to the top', not going to fool around with any of the pions. Gonna ask Mrs Barbara to be the moderator and make a ruling.

grin
Hey Mrs Barbara... I'll send you a PM!!!

(We dont want the enemy knowing about the 'double secret plans')
7. Hiding behind "Seconds" is frowned on, but not impermissible. [Miles is MY Second]

First thing, I ain't walking no 200 yards. Second thing is, Pam said that if I warn't picked first, I couldn't play. miles

4. Projectiles must be picked up on site. [no fair using the spent bullets which litter the landscape at Ed's place]

probably wanna exclude live rimfire rounds, too smirk

Good idea !

You can be my Third.

[Randy's in for a shock....... Me and Mz Barbara are on a first name basis]
I would also suggest safety eyewear, when using improvised tactical elastic devices. Lest the unfortunate participant wind up looking like Harry Reid... grin
WOW! a real duel, don't know how I got involved? other than Oldman 2003 needs someone with a big ass to hide behind.as for ammo, I think ping pong balls at 25 yrds with a n-shooter sounds about right. rio7

Good idea !

You can be my Third.

[Randy's in for a shock....... Me and Mz Barbara are on a first name basis]

gulp!

It would appear that I am going to have to resort to 'devious methods'... Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Also known as 'thinking outside the box' or 'cheating'!
I think ping pong balls at 25 yrds with a n-shooter sounds about right. rio7

Blue, since Gene intends to hide behind me, I think that is a great idea. I was talking to Ed on the phone yesterday and he talked like your hand is still giving you problems. I hope it is better, and you take care of it for a while. miles
"Ahem".... If the invite is still open, I have decided to grace this gathering with my presence cool

Just to make sure that no migratory warblers are placed in danger downrange.

I shall bring my flintlock smoothbore, shooting actual lead balls for a change instead of just powder smoke at a bunch of opposing Mexican soldados as is more usual.

Smoothbores are cool, they take all the pressure off this accuracy stuff.

Birdwatcher
cool!

I've decided I might have to enter a .270 in the PD shoot, just to annoy people grin
cool!

I've decided I might have to enter a .270 in the PD shoot, just to annoy people grin

Your a little late... .270 tied for 3rd, last year. planning on bringing it again this year.

Might even enter a dirty-dirty in the PD shoot!
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
"Ahem".... If the invite is still open, I have decided to grace this gathering with my presence cool
Smoothbores are cool, they take all the pressure off this accuracy stuff.
Birdwatcher

Outstanding, Mike! Can't wait to see you!

Ed
cool! I've decided I might have to enter a .270 in the PD shoot, just to annoy people grin
Your a little late... .270 tied for 3rd, last year. planning on bringing it again this year. Might even enter a dirty-dirty in the PD shoot!

You might just win it, Randy. A couple of years ago, at Sierra Vista, I won it with my Contender Carbine in .30-40 Krag with a 4x Burris mini scope on it. laugh

Ed
Will the rules to the shooting events be posted?

I never heard of a "Negro" until just a few years ago.

Nah, we always adjust them depending on who's winning...
I never heard of a "Negro" until just a few years ago.

Back when I was young, it was on all forms that you filled out to designate race. Caucasian, Negro, Oriental, and maybe American Indian. miles

Not many rules. One shot, cold bore, at a small orange prairie dog, with you name on it. You have a better chance to win when you shoot at your dog, but there is always someone that tries another strategy. grin miles
"Dead" dog wins - no matter who hits it?
In my case, the rifle was sited in for min of deer so I had to shoot at another PD (4 PD's on one sheet of paper) to hit my PD.
I just scared my PD is all I did. But had fun.
And you had a 1 inch red dot on the PD, that was for the win at
200-250 yards.
Hopefully I'll bring the correct ammo this year...
Hopefully I'll bring the correct ammo this year...

We weren't going to bring it up... grin

Ed

Sure. They will be written in grease pencil on the head of a straight pin. laugh

I will outline each competition with appropriate rules before the Gathering. It will be a short list.

I'm still open for suggestions for matches and rules.

Ed
scoped rifles over .45 caliber, at 200 yards...

grin
Did anyone ever decide if we were going to be able to shoot clays. I know last year we didnt because of the horses.

If we can shoot them, I've got an old thrower I can bring.

Also, Ed have you or someone started the menu?

I seem to remember him saying something about you and crawfish, and your wife and pie/cake. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. grin miles
Did anyone ever decide if we were going to be able to shoot clays. I know last year we didnt because of the horses.

If we can shoot them, I've got an old thrower I can bring.

Randy, the problem last year was that the clay birds that were brought were the kind that are not horse-safe. We need to find some of the bio-degradable ones that are critter safe..

I have NOT started on the menu(s). I figured we could get started on that at any time now. I don't have a clear idea how many are going to attend, yet.

I DO know that we are going to have some newcomers! grin

Ed
I seem to remember him saying something about you and crawfish, and your wife and pie/cake. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. grin miles

Wishful thinking on BOTH of our parts. laugh

Ed
Yeah, I knew it had something to do with the clays not being horse-safe.

Oh, since Miles is Genes second... he is the enemy!

Just because he wishes something, doesnt mean it is going to happen.

Of course, things can change... whistle
...Oh, since Miles is Genes second... he is the enemy...

I can't imaging Miles being anyone's enemy. Even if he really, really pissed them off. grin If he weren't such an honest guy, he might be bought off with some of your wife's pie. laugh

Ed

...Oh, since Miles is Genes second... he is the enemy...

I can't imaging Miles being anyone's enemy. Even if he really, really pissed them off. grin If he weren't such an honest guy, he might be bought off with some of your wife's pie. laugh

Ed

I want it to be known to all... that I didnt come up with the idea to try any sneaky stuff, such as a bribe. whistle

It was Eds idea! shocked

And it was a good one! grin
The only flaw in your plan is the fact that Ms. Peggy, (Gene's Sweetie) can cook, too.

Wonder which one makes the best pie? Could Miles be tempted to be a triple secret agent/"second"? grin

Best pie gets his support... shocked

Ed
Best pie gets his support...

All pie gets my support. miles
Last year, Jo's pie was fabulous.

Did someone say crawfish?

Yeah, I knew it had something to do with the clays not being horse-safe.

Oh, since Miles is Genes second... he is the enemy!

Just because he wishes something, doesnt mean it is going to happen.

Of course, things can change... whistle

If you think my honor can be bought for a few crawdads..... you are absolutely correct.

I'll even chip in a flying twenty toward the purchase of them, and I'm sure others will, as well. Some of the guys don't know how expensive those things are, and it's not right for you to have to pay for 'em AND cook 'em.
...I have NOT started on the menu(s). I figured we could get started on that at any time now. I don't have a clear idea how many are going to attend, yet.

I DO know that we are going to have some newcomers! grin

Ed

This makes my spidey senses begin to tingle.
.I'll even chip in a flying twenty toward the purchase of them, and I'm sure others will, as well. Some of the guys don't know how expensive those things are, and it's not right for you to have to pay for 'em AND cook 'em.

AMEN! That was an incredible amount of bugs, corn and taters you brought and cooked last year, Randy!

Paladin, I was hoping that you would chime in. Hope you can make it this year!

Ed
I'll even chip in a flying twenty toward the purchase of them,

Damn straight, so will I. I might even give a little more to make sure we have enough for David. (Paladin) grin miles
Originally Posted by CCCC
Last year, Jo's pie was fabulous.

I'll second that! grin I hope you and Maddy can make it this year, Paul, but I know what a long haul that is.

If you can make it, please leave that .22-250 at home so someone else has a chance at winning the Prairie Dog Shoot. grin

Ed
Ed
Terri and I are looking forward to coming again. We had a blast last year and expect it to be the same this year.
Kevin
Originally Posted by Texczech
Ed
Terri and I are looking forward to coming again. We had a blast last year and expect it to be the same this year.
Kevin

Great, Kevin! Are you going to remember your rifle this time? blush laugh

Ed
I'll try. Hope everything is going well with you and your family.
Kevin,

All is well here. Even if you don't bring a firearm, you are welcome.

Ed
I have informed the kids that I would like to plan to have a weekend off in April and one in May. Wifey is suppose to be out of rehab end of March. Hopefully I can find someone to be here with her and mom so I can attend, Ed.

Prolly the best I can do for now. Naturally I won't really know anything until 48-72 hours before the event. We'll just have to continue to play by ear.

Bob
OK, we're getting closer to a really great weekend. I'm hoping that some of the folks who had to cancel last year will be able to make it!

It's about time to start looking at how many folks are coming so we can plan meals.

Some folks come in on Friday, a couple will probably sneak in on Thursday, just 'cause they can. grin This is what I have, so far.

Suggested Meals;

Friday Supper - Burgers & Hot Dogs?

Saturday Breakfast - Coffee, Bacon and/or Sausage, Eggs, Donuts, Pastries

Saturday Lunch - Tea (sweet & unsweet), water, soft drinks

Saturday Supper - Tea, Soft Drinks, Water, Steaks (courtesy of RIO7), Baked Potatoes? BBQ Beans.

Sunday Breakfast - Coffee, Bacon and/or Sausage, Eggs, Donuts, Pastries

Sunday Lunch? - Tea, Water, Soft Drinks,

Needs;

Dessert Items
Paper Plates
Plastic Ware
Plastic Glasses (Solo Cups?)
Styrofoam Coffee Cups
Paper Towels
Napkins(?)
Salt & Pepper
Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo (&Miracle Whip?)
Pickles
Chips
Soft Drinks
Bottled Water
Butter
Sour Cream

I know I'm forgetting something, so please feel free to add to the list.

My lovely bride has Celiac disease, so we are very aware of food allergies. If any of you have food sensitivities, please speak out!

Ed
Understood, Bob. Family comes first.

Ed
Ed, please do not put me in charge of the sour cream this year? miles crazy

We still have not figured out where those two quarts of sour cream disappeared to, Miles. eek

I think breakfast duty suits you well, especially the part about waking up the cook(s). laugh

Ed

We still have not figured out where those two quarts of sour cream disappeared to, Miles. eek

I think breakfast duty suits you well, especially the part about waking up the cook(s). laugh

Ed

Yea he does get up early. This year I'm going to camp next to Bob's area instead of the way out parking lot/field. I'll of course bring the eggs, woks and money for Randy if he decides to do the mudbugs.
Great, Gordon! I still have your cast iron dutch oven. I haven't even used it to melt wheelweights! grin

Ed
Thanks for that ED. The 8" one is good for cobbler, what I brought it for. But we had way too much good stuff, it was raining so I did not make the cobbler. Remind me to pick it up.
There indeed should be plenty of chairs and pans there smile

I'll work on the sausage next week smile
...I'll work on the sausage next week smile

Sounds like a plan! Neither you nor Leonard have to bring chairs and you DID leave at least one new frying pan here. I haven't looked in that box of stuff since last April. blush

Ed
I'm hoping some of these guys (and families!) will show up in addition to the ones who attended and those who tried to get here last year;

Mako25
SteveNO
Dirtfarmer
HugAJackass
Kamogari
EvilTwin
Flyboy Flem
Miss Lynn (!!!) grin
Boggy Creek Ranger
Karnis
Mudhen
krp
isaac
Doc Rocket
Pugs
Jorge1
TLEE
byc
rockchucker
gitem12
Crimson Tide
Seal Billy
bcolorado
crossfireoops
Scott F
Sandcritter
and a whole host of others... grin

Ed

I'll give it my best shot, but there are some family doings down south that may get in the way...
We'd love to have you here, Ben, but family does come first!

Ed
Crimson Tide and son just stopped by on their way to the Hog Hunt. They are a little bit early for the Gathering. Hope they can make it back!

Ed
Ed, put me down for some more mud bugs. I'll cook them for whatever meal, you want me to. I'm sure Jo will bring a pie/cake or two and sweeeeeet tea if needed.

Randy

How about Lunch, Saturday, like last year? That was a huge hit with everyone.

Give me an idea of costs so we can help out. Bugs are NOT cheap!

Ed
Miles, I didnt see a boat on either of Eds ponds and I believe he needs one. I was cruising on e-bay and found a local boat that I think Ed needs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Sunsee...amp;item=221717266713&pt=Other_Boats

Fixed up, it would be real nice, and if he hurries, he could have it ready by the last weekend of April. And it's located in Gilmer, Tx.

(It could also be used as a dog-house, when Barbara makes him sleep outside)

What do you think?
Miles, I didnt see a boat on either of Eds ponds and I believe he needs one. I was cruising on e-bay and found a local boat that I think Ed needs.

Damn right. That would get me out of the horse feed barn. grin miles
Couple of beds, recliners, big screen tv, wet bar, etc...

Sure would be better than looking at the south end of a horse, that's facing north! grin
Don't y'all think it's nice of Barbara to let Ed act like he's running the show?
Don't y'all think it's nice of Barbara to let Ed act like he's running the show?

I don't know about them, but I sure do! laugh

Ed
Miles, I didnt see a boat on either of Eds ponds and I believe he needs one. I was cruising on e-bay and found a local boat that I think Ed needs.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Sunseeker-Three-Buoys-Houseboat-Project-Wife-Says-Must-Go-/221717266713?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339f610119&item=221717266713&pt=Other_Boats Fixed up, it would be real nice, and if he hurries, he could have it ready by the last weekend of April. And it's located in Gilmer, Tx.
(It could also be used as a dog-house, when Barbara makes him sleep outside) What do you think?

There is a 14' semi-vee on the upper pond and a 12' Jon boat on the lower pond.
I don't need that monstrosity! I have enough major projects. grin

Ed
I don't need that monstrosity! I have enough major projects.

Ya need that for your friends to borrow. miles
Let me see, $7,500.0 for the boat, another $2,500.00 worth of repairs (minimum), a big-ass trailer ($?), and the time to haul it to a big-ass lake.

I'm thinking NO! grin

Ed
Last year, Maddy and I took a nice early morning row in that boat on the lower pond (there was a snake underneath when first I turned it upside) and even caught a couple of smallish fish. Miles, that boat is big enough to sleep you.
Last year, Maddy and I took a nice early morning row in that boat on the lower pond (there was a snake underneath when first I turned it upside) and even caught a couple of smallish fish. Miles, that boat is big enough to sleep you.

That son of a bitch done sunk once....... you tryin' to drown Miles?
I got people trying to hide behind me in a duel and now trying to drown me, and I all that I did was wake the cook. I did not think his food was that bad. grin miles
I can just see Miles, dog paddlin out of that barge, makes me chuckle. rio7
makes me chuckle.

Anything like I did when you hammered that doe? miles
YEP!!!
Raining good down there Blue?
Kaywoodie, Like a cow pissin on a flat rock in the middle of the Rio Grande,mud hub deep to a tractor wheel, can't get anything done so we are cleaning saddles and other tack and tellin lies. rio7
Everybody needs a little down time. miles
Yup. Muddy as all hell here!! Still raining. But all is real green. Tho Mesquites and pecans aren't putting out yet!
I always heard the when the pecans put out, frost is gone. A few years a ago that was put to the lie. Most times it is true though. miles
Yup. I try to keep an eye on the pecans, Miles. Usually works here. Pretty close. I've seen mesquites get burned more than once!
we have gotten 4 1/2" so far and more coming this way, hell I can hear the grass growin. rio7
I got back from the Hog Hunt near Crystal City, and it was raining a bunch down there
Been raining off and on all day here. Got close to a quarter inch I expect.
Hey Pat, how many hogs did you guys kill? bet that was a fun group of guys to b.s. with rio7
It was indeed a fun bunch of guys, but the pig hunting was so-so. Last I heard only six pigs killed for 24 guys. I only had one opportunity, and missed him. blush

They had plenty of exotics and more than a few whitetails, but not that many pigs. This morning most of the ranch was impassable due to the rain - I understood they got a couple of trucks stuck last night.
tex n cal, 6 pigs is 25%, sound like the hunting part din't work, out to well, but the company made up for the crappy hunting.glad you are home safe, hope to see you at Ed's get together. rio7
Yep! Looking forward to this gathering!
I got people trying to hide behind me in a duel and now trying to drown me, and I all that I did was wake the cook. grin miles

Yes, Miles, but tell us again about that method you used in waking her up.

Sadly Ed did not put any "Her's" in charge of cooking. Gordon certainly does not qualify. miles

Sadly Ed did not put any "Her's" in charge of cooking. Gordon certainly does not qualify. miles

I'm certain that Gordon is glad you don't think he qualifies. grin

I'm really looking forward to this, gents! Time to start putting together a list of who is coming!

BTW, we've had over 9" of rain here since the first of March according to my neighbor!

Ed
Ed, I am tentatively planning to be there. I am going to Monahans the weekend before and not sure I want to drive that much. Will see how I feel!
Dennis, I'm hoping you can make it. It's been too long since we sat and talked!

Remember, caffeine is your friend! grin

Ed
BTW, we've had over 9" of rain here since the first of March according to my neighbor!

I do not doubt it. We have had 7.5 inches according to the gauge in my garden. My yard will bog down a snipe. miles
Hope you can make it Dennis. I hate that I had to miss the Arizona gathering. miles
so the shooting contests will be at what ranges?

200 yards for the prairie dog shoot? And the others?
Just barely catching up with this thread!
Last year was a blast, although my kids nearly froze to death and Ed and his wife were gentle enough to let us sleep in the RV with heating.
We will be in Peru and coming back Sunday just before the gathering and since my wife did not go into berserk seek and destroy mode when I brought the subject up, pending scheduling at work, we may be able to come again.
It will be nice to see some familiar faces again and meet new guys from here if we can make it.
Any plans on shotgunning claybirds? Ed what kind would we need?

Pablo, I found one case (90 birds) of biodegradable White Flyer clay birds at the local Walmart.
The box has an orange band around it with the words "biodegradable" in that band. Hope this helps when looking.
Any other kind are toxic to the horses. Use the toxic ones here and Ms. Barbara will be toxic to someone's health. eek

I am going to use some of these for the Firearms class the first weekend of April, so I won't have a full case unless we find some more.

I'm really hoping you and your family can make it!

Ed
so the shooting contests will be at what ranges?
200 yards for the prairie dog shoot? And the others?

These are my ideas, but I'm still waiting for some input from you guys.

DGR Shoot - Any rifle, .40 caliber and up, iron sights only, two 8" targets fired at, in order of farthest to closest, starting at 35 yards, then 15 yards. NO light loads. Factory load equivalent only, This will favor double guns as far as speed, but accuracy is what is important.

It doesn't help if you miss really, really fast. shocked laugh

.22lr Shoot - Any rifle, any sights, any position, 100 yards, tightest five shot group with one round REQUIRED to be in the orange center dot. If no one gets a round in the dot, then closest group wins. Time limit of 90 seconds for the five shots.

BPCR Shoot - 12" target, three rounds, barrel sights only, any position, 200 yards, in one minute. Smallest group wins.

Military Rifle Shoot - Any vintage military rifle, any caliber, iron sights only, military issue or equivalent loads, three shots, off-hand (slings permitted), in one minute at 100 yards.
Maybe we should just go ahead and call this the "Bob "kaywoodie" Norment Shoot". laugh

Spaghetti Western Practice Shoot - 15 yards, any Centerfire Revolver or auto-pistol, iron sights only, five shots, one-handed, beginning with the handgun in the shooters hand and at his/her side, at five beverage cans on a log, in 30 seconds. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off consisting of five cans on a log, five shots in 30 seconds at 50 yards. grin (Thought y'all were going to get off easy, didn't ya?)

I need ideas on a "Kids Shoot", too. Any thoughts?

We can have a Traditional Archery Shoot here in the yard at anytime. 4" balloons at 20 yards, pick the color of balloon BEFORE you release the arrow. grin
Ties will be decided by shooting an apple off of the opponent's head. First shooter will be determined by a coin toss. shocked

Or, shoot-off will be at golf ball size balloons at 20 yards. Your choice. grin

Ed
.458 SOCCOM AR, check

.22 with 12x scope, check

what is this "barrel sights" you refer to? smirk

M1A's count as military rifles, do they not? How about sporterized 03's? smirk

15 yards, any centerfire revo...check

Kids shoot (now being serious smile ) Probably needs to be a cutoff on ages, but in general maybe make sure they have something fun & easy to shoot as far as a rifle, and balloons or something else as a reactive target (full soda cans?) so they can see hits.

A .22 single shot is traditional, but maybe a .22 autoloader would be more fun? And an AR with adjustable stock would fit different kids? I'm sort of brainstorming here, certainly willing to loan a rifle for kids to shoot.
...what is this "barrel sights" you refer to? smirk

M1A's count as military rifles, do they not? How about sporterized 03's? smirk...

Barrel sights: look at a factory 1903 or '03A3. They have "barrel sights". grin

M1A is a military rifle. As for the '03, define "sporterized". If it's just the stock cut off, yes. New barrel, aftermarket trigger, glass bedded stock, no.

AR-15 A2 or A3 would qualify, as would a Trapdoor Springfield, P-14 or P-17, 1898 Krag, M-1 Carbine ( sick ), Rolling Block, or Winchester 1895.

I guess I should have called it the "Battle Rifle Shoot".

Ed
Kids shoot (now being serious smile ) Probably needs to be a cutoff on ages, but in general maybe make sure they have something fun & easy to shoot as far as a rifle, and balloons or something else as a reactive target (full soda cans?) so they can see hits.

A .22 single shot is traditional, but maybe a .22 autoloader would be more fun? And an AR with adjustable stock would fit different kids? I'm sort of brainstorming here, certainly willing to loan a rifle for kids to shoot.

Good ideas!

The kids are welcome to shoot my 77/22. The stock isnt adjustable, but I'm pretty sure they wont mind. If it will go 'bang', its good.

Some of us 'big boys' had better look-out. There was a young lady at the meet last year, that could shoot pretty darn good! grin
...Some of us 'big boys' had better look-out. There was a young lady at the meet last year, that could shoot pretty darn good! grin

You bet she could! I think that's a very good, generous idea, Randy! I have a couple of single-shot .22's, a Marlin 39, and an old Marlin 81 they could shoot too.

If any other folks have something the kids might shoot, bring it!

Ed
What is the distance on the P D shoot?
What is the distance on the P D shoot?

75 yds, if your going to sight in your rifle! whistle grin
That's why they are trying to keep the range a secret. grin
That's why they are trying to keep the range a secret. grin

Since the beginning, it has always been 200 yards. We can make it an unknown distance (no rangefinders allowed whistle ) and really make it tough. grin

Ed
Works for me.
Not bragging, but last year I came in 2nd place, when I killed the prairie dog in the middle of the head with a 7mmRM.
Cold bore shot, had not sighted it in, and I shot high thinking it was sighted for 100yds (had not shot the rifle in about a year)... had I held on target who knows!

That got me a surprise award of a brick of 22LR so can't complain at all!!!
by the way the range for the PD shoot is not 200yds or 75yds, it is 123.7yds sight in for that gents. wink
I have a CZ452 that I will bring if we can make it. Has a centerfire 4x scope that is parallaxed at 100yds I guess, but I am debating getting an infamous SWFA SS MQ 6x or 10x as a belated birthday gift.
What do the masses say? 6x, 10x or different scope?
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I have a CZ452 that I will bring if we can make it. Has a centerfire 4x scope that is parallaxed at 100yds I guess, but I am debating getting an infamous SWFA SS MQ 6x or 10x as a belated birthday gift.
What do the masses say? 6x, 10x or different scope?

I use FX 12's which have an A O. Does the 10X have an A O?
I use FX 12's which have an A O. Does the 10X have an A O?

This would be my first choice, too.

Pablo, you need to check your rangefinder it was 121.34 yards. grin
BTW, your shooting that and other rifles proves that you are one of the ones to beat!

Ed
It will be great seeing you again Pablo!

Clearly I may have to dust off a secret weapon for the PD shoot. Perhaps one that makes range irrelevant smirk

For the kiddos, I'll throw out that the .300 Blackout AR is very mild to shoot, especially with subsonic loads, and has an adjustable stock. So that's available, if those supervising the kids think it would work. I'll need to roll up a batch of subsonic loads for it, but that's no big deal.

Guess I'll have to go to the range. Min. of Deer will not work.
Guess I'll have to go to the range. Min. of Deer will not work.

It will if you're accustomed to shooting East Texas deer which range from chipmunk size to medium German Shepherd size. laugh

Ed
.458 SOCCOM AR, check...

A .458 SOCOM is a Dangerous Game Rifle?

Ed

Ed, how strict is the .22LR shoot at 100? Any RF or just .22LR? .17's?

Originally Posted by Paladin

Now I am confused, are we putting a 22LR at 100yds and shooting at it? or shooting at something with a 22LR from 100yds aways laugh

I have a very nice air rifle that is 0.177, compressed air provides propulsion from the center of the cup, does that make it a Centerfire? should it be allowed? crazy
Curdog, the SS MQ 10x and 6x do have AO.

.22 LONG RIFLE Rimfire ONLY. grin

If you want a side contest for .17's, we can accommodate that. How about ping-pong balls at 150 yards? The ping pong balls would be hung from a string, subject to the wind, coriolis effect, and bad marksmanship. laugh

Ed

Now I am confused, are we putting a 22LR at 100yds and shooting at it? or shooting at something with a 22LR from 100yds aways laugh

I have a very nice air rifle that is 0.177, compressed air provides propulsion from the center of the cup, does that make it a Centerfire? should it be allowed? crazy

Pablo, you have to forgive Dave. He's been sniffing crude oil fumes too long. grin

No, your air rifle does not qualify as a "centerfire" as you have to stand off to one side of the stock to fire it. So, what you have is a "stand-off fire". If the PRIMER (oops, it doesn't have one, does it? blush ) were in the center, such as with a 155mm Howitzer, you would have a true "centerfire". Got it?

Ed
Curdog, the SS MQ 10x and 6x do have AO.

Go for the 10X !

Ed
WOW - sounds like big fun again this year - wish I could be there for all of this shooting of such esoteric stuff. Probably would just bring a simple 95 Hi-Wall. Would it even qualify for any of this CF stuff?

.22 LONG RIFLE Rimfire ONLY. grin

If you want a side contest for .17's, we can accommodate that. How about ping-pong balls at 150 yards? The ping pong balls would be hung from a string, subject to the wind, coriolis effect, and bad marksmanship. laugh

Ed

Well, I figured if the SOCOM was a DG rifle. grin

A ping pong ball staked in the ground with a 16 penny nail at 150 yards would be more than safe with the .17 I have.

WOW - sounds like big fun again this year - wish I could be there for all of this shooting of such esoteric stuff. Probably would just bring a simple 95 Hi-Wall. Would it even qualify for any of this CF stuff?

THAT one was the one I was concerned you would bring! eek

"Simple 95 Hi-Wall" my aching butt. grin

Sure wish you and Maddy could be here, but I fully understand. Now, if you would like to ship that rifle out here, I could test fire it a time or two and see if it might qualify... whistle

Ed
...Well, I figured if the SOCOM was a DG rifle. grin
A ping pong ball staked in the ground with a 16 penny nail at 150 yards would be more than safe with the .17 I have.

I have a Handi-Rifle in 17HMR that is capable of keeping them inside a ping pong ball at 150 yards, that's why I came up with those specs. grin

Ed

And no, a .458 SOCOM would not be MY idea of a DGR.

And no, a .458 SOCOM would not be MY idea of a DGR.

Well, they are over .40 caliber, and are used on pirates. Arrrrrrrr!!!!!!

grin
I've seen pictures of pirates and have yet to see one that even faintly resembles a charging Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Cape Buffalo, Lion, or Tiger.

Now politicians, on the other hand. sick

Ed
okay, fine. grin

A .475 Turnbull single shot work as a DGR...loaded with 500gr Woodleighs?
Isn't that a pistol cartridge?

Ed
<sigh>

[Linked Image]

<sigh[Linked Image]

Ya can't fault a guy for tryin' can ya?

grin

Ed
smile

I might have to dust off this one for the PD shoot...

[Linked Image]
smile

I might have to dust off this one for the PD shoot...

[Linked Image]

YOU SHOULD !!
I think we should do a "Stalingrad" type rimfire contest.
Back in Peru we shot something that mimicks the last battle of "Enemy at the Gates".

Knockout type of game, 2 shooters at 50m. No shot limit. Single shot loading with 22lr, prone position, no support except sling.

Targets were 9 scaled down soldier silhouettes (supposed to be full sized at 400m - 455yd) and a final circular one simulating an enemy sniper's scope, about 3" dia. HAd them welded on hinges and a plate so resetting was easy.
First one to take them all down wins.

Fun fun fun, specially when you hear the plinks of your oponent connecting and the crowd going "oooooh, aaaahhhh" oh!"

Quick Web-Fu revealed ebay has different offerings for shapes and sizes
silhouette extravaganza

If someone has crazy welding skills attaching these to a hinges and a bar/lever to pull and reset from distance should be fun.

[Linked Image]
I LIKE that! No crazy welding skills here (no skills at all blush ) but I'm sure we can con someone into running down and resetting them. grin.

Scopes allowed on those .22's?

Ed
Yep! most people had 3-9× variables, but 4 or 6x fixed worked wonders too.
Thinking about it, its your place, Ed... you can make the rules.

Ed wishes he made the rules...

We all know Mrs. Barbara is 'The Boss'!

grin

Ed wishes he made the rules...
We all know Mrs. Barbara is 'The Boss'!grin

You know that she's the Boss, she is still trying to convince me. grin

Pablo, I like the idea. A lot. We are placing an Amazon order shortly and I'll get those silhouettes on it. cool

Ed
So, what I found online are 5" IDPA targets similar to what you showed, Pablo (yours shown were 4").

My thoughts for the match; Six 5" IDPA silhouettes per shooter and one 3" round "stop plate".

Two shooters at a time, 50 yards, .22lr single shot rifles, scoped, shot from prone, slings OK, no time restriction. First one to drop all six IDPA silhouettes and then the "stop plate", wins. It's a "shoot-off". Once you lose, you're out. Last man standing wins.

What say you folks?

Ed
What say you folks?

I'll be trying like hell to make this one, but you know this farming stunt is going to come first.

Drop ship the Targs my way, and I'll get them set up with "crazy welding skills", e.g. pull a cable and shoot next relay,...per discussed.

....next best to being there, I'd venture.

GTC

That's very generous of you, Greg! Let me see what I can arrange.

Ed
Hope you can make it, Greg!
I like your small target idea, but do we have to lay on our belly like a lizard to shoot, and I don't have a big bore with out a scope, guess I will leave my rifles home and bring my shotguns and pistols. rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7
I like your small target idea, but do we have to lay on our belly like a lizard to shoot, and I don't have a big bore with out a scope, guess I will leave my rifles home and bring my shotguns and pistols. rio7

Did you scope that Marlin .45-70? You'd better bring that .450 and your truck gun.
I want to try to beat you with the AR I swapped you for at 200yds, sitting in a chair, using sticks. :-)

Ed
45-70 got a scope now, 2X7 leupy, front site was so big i couldn't see a pig behind it. .450 does not have iron sites, put the first scope we took off the .450 on my .405 seems to work ok so far,so far I have shot 43 pigs with the .450, 27 with the .405 and 6 with the 45-70 I have not really warmed up to the 45-70 yet. .450 and .405 way out shoot the 45-70. as for a ar shoot out I am ready when ever you are. don't have a .22 anyway. rio7

If any of y'all happen to come across me layin' on the ground on my belly........... just pile a bunch of rocks on me for I will have died.
Yeah, or In my case, drank too much. wink
I'm wishing I had acquired a .405 Winchester, since those are probably the lightest kicking DG rifle, and decently fast handling in the 1895, too. Never have warmed up to the 1895 Winchester, though. smile

Besides the .475, there is also a .458 Winchester in Ruger #1 here. I have not shot it in a long time but could probably whip up some factory-equivalent loads for it. Probably a tossup which kicks less; the .475's 500 gr factory-equivalent loads run about about 1900fps, the .458's about 2100, but the .458 has a D weight barrel and weighs at least a pound more than the .475.

So if someone wants to use either one, let me know. I'll probably upgrade the iron sights on one or the other.
Curdog, Sounds like we feel the same way about layin on our belly to shoot, if you are crazy enough to lay down here where I live, besides gettin covered with sand burrs you wouldn't be able to see the end of your barrel for the weeds and grass.Pat my .405 is a #1 and I really like it and it shoots great. rio7
Yeah, or In my case, drank too much. wink

Does this mean you're going to join us at the Gathering?

Hope so!

Ed
Blue, I guess we could have a Wheelchair, offhand shoot for you, Gene, and eyeball. grin

Ed
Ed, I will be 78 yrs old in about 10 days,and if I remember right your ass was draggin your tracks out after a week huntin with me, damn insolent PUP!!! rio7
OK, I'm down off of the roof now (fixing and cleaning gutters on two houses) and can reply on something other than a "smartphone".

Yup, no argument that my butt was dragging. That was some of the hardest hunting I've ever done, and I've been in some rugged places. Whoda thunk that flatland like you have down there could wear a man out? Guess I'm getting soft in your old age. laugh
You're worse than any Drill Instructor I've ever met. No rest for the weary, I guess.

I was just suggesting a fair competition that would allow you and the others to get in on the fun. Besides, you don't even HAVE a .22lr, so why are you upset? grin

Ed
Upset!upset! do I sound Upset! I bet I can barrow a .22 from Kaywoodie, you need to get back on the roof. rio7
I'm finished with the roof, now I get to cut up and haul off three large trees in the yard that came down during the ice, snow, and rain a few weeks ago.

I have two very accurate Contender Carbines in .22lr Match. Both wear fixed 6x Weaver scopes. They have been used for more than one "shoot-off " here and are fully up to the task. I figure, if a person can consistently hit a golf ball at 50 yards, and keep a golf ball dancing at 100 yards, they will do. grin

You can even borrow one, if you would like. I'll even let you use the ammo they prefer. grin

Ed

Same here, hope you can make it.... but if you dont....

We're gonna talk about you, tell all kinds of lies about you, give you a baaaad name, ruin you reputation, etc.

(of course, money and liquor can persuade a fellow to change his mind)

grin
Upset!upset! do I sound Upset! I bet I can barrow a .22 from Kaywoodie, you need to get back on the roof. rio7

Blue, I got your back!

Just let me know and I'll bring you a .22 so you wont have to shoot one of Ed's.

He will give you the one we saw in the barn, stock broke, forearm cracked, had a bent nail holding the lever in place, and looked like he had modified the rear sight with a hack saw, but the front sight did look good (it just wasnt upright).

grin
Thanks Randy, Us oldmen need to stick together, I know that .22 Ed, has in the barn the one he shoots beach balls with at 10 yrds, Ed, wears glasses ya know.Blue

Same here, hope you can make it.... but if you dont....

We're gonna talk about you, tell all kinds of lies about you, give you a baaaad name, ruin you reputation, etc.

(of course, money and liquor can persuade a fellow to change his mind)

grin

We'll give him things to work on, too, when he does show up... grin
We'll give him things to work on, too, when he does show up... grin

I figure if he leaves his welder at the Rusty Iron he'll be OK.

Hmmm..I wouldn't put it past him to smelt some of this iron ore lying around here and make something out of it. Better keep the lighters away from him.

Ed
Blue and Cur, I'll bring my shooting mat if I remember for you guys. We can get you back up.
RIO, we can do a shoot between you and curdog off the bench... no rests, the idea is to have fun, with you or at you guys smile

I really hope I can make and partake in the shenanigans.
Thanks for ordering those, Ed, and Greg thanks for getting them fixed with crazy welding skills.
Pisco sour is on me, if we can make it.
I'll set up the assembly line with kids again (gotta teach them early)

Now that I am through picking on Ed, How about I sit in a folding chair and shoot of of sticks? that should be a pretty good handicap.rio7
Now that I am through picking on Ed, How about I sit in a folding chair and shoot of of sticks? that should be a pretty good handicap.rio7

Uh, huh....that's what I figured you'd do. grin

With you, that's the same as prone for the rest of us mortals.

I'm good with that if Gene is.

Ed

Uh, huh....that's what I figured you'd do. grin

With you, that's the same as prone for the rest of us mortals.

I'm good with that if Gene is.

Ed

When I think prone I think no bags, tripods, bipods, backpacks, nothing but elbows, fat belly, etc.
Somehow I think RIO7 is finding the ways to make a "handicap" to his advantage...
My grandma used to say (crude translation here)

The devil knows more from being old than from being the devil... I think it applies here
whistle whistle whistle
Good quote! Fits both Blue and Gene to a "T".

For Blue, shooting from a chair with sticks is no handicap. If folks were paying attention at last years Gathering they could have seen him in action at that 8" long piece of 3" diameter pipe I had hanging at 200 yards. I think he missed once with his "truck gun" AR-15.

Watching Gene shoot Prairie Dogs a few years ago at unknown distances showed me that he is quite comfortable shooting from a chair as well.

Ed
Ed, I guess they need to be nominated umpires of the rimfire contest... or just have them shoot exhibition style against each other on a different age category smile

It wouldn't be fair to make them just umpires, they have to shoot, too.

I'd really like to watch both of them shoot from chairs with sticks and see how they stack up against folks shooting Prone.

I like watching good shooters do their thing. It's the issue of coming up with a challenge good enough for them to strut their skills.

Ed
curdog, think we better come up with plan to whip these young whipper snappers butts, may be we can get oldman Randy, to give us a hand. rio7
I have no doubt they will beat me my sorry butt, but I can bring some decent smack talk:)
I always enjoy watching someone skilled doing their art
curdog, think we better come up with plan to whip these young whipper snappers butts, may be we can get oldman Randy, to give us a hand. rio7

I'm ready.... money, marbles, or chalk.[THAT'll have 'em scratching their heads grin ]
I've done some of my best work setting in a chair. I recall one time, back when Ciudad Acuna was Villa Acuna,..... better not tell THAT.

Randy will have to withdraw his challenge to a duel with me, though, since we gonna be on the same side in this contest.

We be shooting against the younguns, not each other.... right?
That's right, Gene. In the interest of fairness, we will let you use your walker as a rifle rest if you can't shoot off of sticks. grin

Ed
I'm gonna recruit this Grandma who can shoot without a rest... booyah!

[Linked Image]
a little over 3 weeks to go smile

We certainly have a bunch of shooting events planned. I think I pretty well fixed up for them though. As long as the barrel bulge holds a while longer in the 03A3.

We certainly have a bunch of shooting events planned. I think I pretty well fixed up for them though. As long as the barrel bulge holds a while longer in the 03A3.

Put some blue tape over the bulge, surprised you being an engineer you didn't know that. :^)
That looks like a MP40 Granny is holding! Yahoo! Plus, she looks almost old enough to interest a couple of people who are attending the gathering! laugh

Ed

Put some blue tape over the bulge, surprised you being an engineer you didn't know that. :^)

I did use blue tape, but it keeps falling off...
a little over 3 weeks to go smile We certainly have a bunch of shooting events planned. I think I pretty well fixed up for them though. As long as the barrel bulge holds a while longer in the 03A3.

I did use blue tape, but it keeps falling off...

Put the STICKY side against the barrel, Patrick!

Ed
OK, this is a tentative list of attendees. Please look it over and tell me who I'm missing. Of course, there's a bunch of folks I'd love to see attend that we haven't heard from yet, so this is JUST the beginning. I'd like to get a more complete total so we can make sure there's enough food and drink.

Ed & Barbara (thought we were going to sneak off, didn't ya?)
Miles Patton
RIO7 & Smoke
Oldman03 & his bride
ldholton & bride
WTXJ
tex n cal
labarr
curdog4570 & Peggy
Paladin(?)
Gunner500
Sharpsguy & Bride (HOPING!)
Texchech & bride
kaywoodie
tdd4570
Sponxx & family
TXRam (?)
Velvet Tines & Family
OSU Sig
Birdwatcher
dennisinaz (?)

eyeball was making noises as if he was coming, ltppowell is still a tentative, haven't heard boo from stxhunter, BrotherBart, SteveNO, or several other folks who were trying to make it last year.

What say y'all? The more the merrier!

Ed

We are still a maybe, unfortunately cannot confirm yet. I will confirm as soon as I get the schedule figured out.
Ed, later on, you can tell me what you want me to bring/do. I will try to fill in the gaps as best I can. miles
We are still a maybe, unfortunately cannot confirm yet. I will confirm as soon as I get the schedule figured out.

Thanks, Pablo.

Ed
Ed, later on, you can tell me what you want me to bring/do. I will try to fill in the gaps as best I can. miles

Will do, Miles.

Thanks.

Ed

Miles, can you fill gaps in my arsenal? grin grin grin grin grin

Randy will have to withdraw his challenge to a duel with me, though, since we gonna be on the same side in this contest.

If I understand this, Gene, Blue and I will be pitting our superior shooting/BSing skills... against the younger crowd.

Since us old codgers gotta stick together, and Gene isnt really the emeny, and I really didnt want to shoot Miles (with a n-shooter), I will officially withdraw my challenge.

Dont mess with the old codgers, You'll get burned!

You know, Miles is getting a little short in-the-tooth also, we might ought to include him in the 'Old Codgers'!
Miles, can you fill gaps in my arsenal?

You work too much to need many more. miles
we might ought to include him in the 'Old Codgers'!

It is not the age or the miles on me, it is the stops along the way. miles
Gang! I'm still trying to figger out a way to get there!!!
I sure hope that you can make it Bob. miles
Bob, I know you are working with some hardship right now ,but you need to come to Ed's, I have some lies I haven't told you yet and it would be great to see you again. rio7
Oldman, I think Gene,you and me would make a good team, but we should hire Miles, to be our coach and spy,he's a smart and sneaky ole boy, and he could shoot a few shots to cover our little slip ups. Miles can shoot I know that for sure. rio7
but we should hire Miles

I work pretty cheap, when It is something that I like to do. miles
Bob, I know you are working with some hardship right now ,but you need to come to Ed's, I have some lies I haven't told you yet and it would be great to see you again. rio7

I'm gonna try!
If ya need a hand setting up and what not lemme know. Would be happy to help anyway I can.
With a name like that.... laugh
Looking forward to cooking crawfish with dad again this year. Glad yall liked em. It's an honor to around y'all.
It'l be great to see you again, Alan! I hope you've been doing well. This talking once a year business is for the birds. grin

You're welcome to come out before hand if you'd like. I suspect we'll have a couple of others slip in a day or two early, so I don't know how much there will be to do.

I just wrapped up a "Firearms For Actors" class here and had a ball. Took two actresses, neither one "country girls" and had them shooting everything from AR15, .22lr revolvers, .38 & .357 revolvers, 1911's, 20 ga SxS shotguns, autoloading shotguns, and my Shiloh Sharps, to traditional archery.

One young lady (originally from Madison, WI) had never touched a firearm OR a bow before yesterday. That girl can SHOOT! You should have seen the grins she gave us when she was shooting.

The other young lady LOVED the .357 revolver and the AR15. I had to wrestle the AR15 away from her. I think her grin will wear off in, oh, a month or so. She's headed home to tell her husband that he will be buying her a Model 60 and an M4. laugh

She is about 5'3", 115lb and had a blast (pun intended) shooting the Sharps.

I hope we have as much fun at the Gathering as we have had here for the last two days. grin

Ed
Gene and Blue... What do yall think would be a suitable offering to Miles, for his super secret services?

Not that we would need it, but if he was to be the 'official firearm inspector', it could be advantageous (to make sure the other team was following the rules). whistle

I personally know a lady that cooks pecan pies, and could probably get her to cook one... or two... for the winning team. wink
...I personally know a lady that cooks pecan pies, and could probably get her to cook one... or two... for the winning team. wink

Said lady had best find an armed guard that can shoot to watch over those pies.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Ed
That's a classic Louisiana political move. AND I LOVE IT!!!
What do yall think would be a suitable offering to Miles, for his super secret services?

I'll have you know right now, that I am an honorable man and can't be bought. That said, I will let you know also, that I can be rented. grin miles
Looking forward to cooking crawfish with dad again this year.

Y'all did a great job last year, and I look forward to seeing you and the rest of your family again. miles
I hope we have as much fun at the Gathering as we have had here for the last two days.

I see good things happening out of this, for You and the shooting community as a whole. Word of mouth is our best Ally. Salute! for a job well done. miles
I've seen Ed's Facebook posts on the classes, and think that's terrific stuff smile

Wonder if you could work some journalists and writers into the same classes?
...Wonder if you could work some journalists and writers into the same classes?

I'm sneaking up on them, Patrick. They follow actors and musicians constantly. One day, they will get curious enough to inquire and then, I'll have them. grin

Ed
I've seen Ed's Facebook posts on the classes, and think that's terrific stuff smile

Coworker did that for years. Before she bought her place Up on the lake, Sandra Bullock would hang out at his place so as not to be found! Lucky guy!

Well dang it, looks like east Texas isn't in the cards this year as much as I'd like to be there.

Y'all have a Texas time!

David

Sorry to hear that, David. I was really looking forward to seeing you again.

I hope we can get together sometime soon.

Ed
Amen, sorry you can't make it, David!

I have some 530gr Postells ready for the Sharps. And a variety of other flavors of boolits

Coworker did that for years. Before she bought her place Up on the lake, Sandra Bullock would hang out at his place so as not to be found! Lucky guy!

Lucky indeed! I dated a girl in college who looked quite a bit like her. Saw her in a movie 20 years ago, and found myself digging up her bio, wondering if she was my old girlfriend. "Nope" was the answer. smile
OK, this is a tentative list of attendees. Please look it over and tell me who I'm missing. Of course, there's a bunch of folks I'd love to see attend that we haven't heard from yet, so this is JUST the beginning. I'd like to get a more complete total so we can make sure there's enough food and drink.

Ed & Barbara (thought we were going to sneak off, didn't ya?)
Miles Patton
RIO7 & Smoke
Oldman03 & his bride
ldholton & bride
WTXJ
tex n cal
labarr
curdog4570 & Peggy
Paladin(?)
Gunner500
Sharpsguy & Bride (HOPING!)
Texchech & bride
kaywoodie
tdd4570
Sponxx & family
TXRam (?)
Velvet Tines & Family
OSU Sig
Birdwatcher
dennisinaz (?)

eyeball was making noises as if he was coming, ltppowell is still a tentative, haven't heard boo from stxhunter, BrotherBart, SteveNO, or several other folks who were trying to make it last year.

What say y'all? The more the merrier!

Ed

Wish I could make it brother but hopefully to Quemado.
Hey Ed, what's the direction of fire on the 200 yard prairie dog shoot?

Thanks,
Gunner
looks like east Texas isn't in the cards this year

Damn! Now we are going to have Gene shooting at washers and bragging on how He would school you, if you had been there. grin I am sorry that you can't make it. miles
looks like east Texas isn't in the cards this year

Damn! Now we are going to have Gene shooting at washers and bragging on how He would school you, if you had been there. grin I am sorry that you can't make it. miles

No problem there Miles, just make sure he uses 3/8" washers and a .45

Hey Ed, what's the direction of fire on the 200 yard prairie dog shoot?

Thanks,
Gunner

Horizontal, slightly SW, range 200 yards. grin

One shot, cold bore, your choice of rifle, sights, caliber, and shooting position. Most shoot from a benchrest. Closest shot to the center of the orange dot on the PD silhouette wins. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off.

Part of the challenge is that there are three PD silhouettes per 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper. Two of the silhouettes are full body, one is half body. Shooters write their name in bold Sharpie next to their silhouette and then have to keep track of where it is among all the others. grin

Ed

Wish I could make it brother but hopefully to Quemado.

Keith, I fully understand.

We will miss you!

Ed
No problem there Miles, just make sure he uses 3/8" washers and a .45

I like the way you think. grin

Ed

Well dang it, looks like east Texas isn't in the cards this year as much as I'd like to be there.

Y'all have a Texas time!

David

Back when you were working, you could always get off if there was powder to be burned. Now, as a man of leisure, you ain't got time for us no more.

I came thru Welch last week and prairie dogs and doves were plentiful.

Y'all have a Texas time!

David

Back when you were working, you could always get off if there was powder to be burned. Now, as a man of leisure, you ain't got time for us no more.

I came thru Welch last week and prairie dogs and doves were plentiful.

Hah! Just when you thought I was a man of leisure, I get a call. May be headed to Sponxx's neck of the woods south of the borders, so wouldn't be able to make it anyway. If I get the job.

...I came thru Welch last week and prairie dogs and doves were plentiful.

If I let you win our shooting contest can we go shoot prairie dogs at Welch again? Chris is coming to visit again this summer. grin

Ed
Hi, Guys.
Have been a bit out of pocket but watching and anticipating the gathering in East Texas. It will probably be 110F, you know, so on the avaerage, we will be just right.

Seriously, I kept looking at the posts, and it seemed like I needed to do something, but couldn't figure what. Finally had an an idea last night - if we shoot metal plates at less that 50 yd, the general rule is lead bullets only to prevent the jackets rebounding at 180 degrees to the direction shot. This will cause a bunch of us to spill our sodas, not in a good way.

Have little experience here, so maybe somebody else has a different thought?

Regardless, really looking forward to seeing everybody again.
...I came thru Welch last week and prairie dogs and doves were plentiful.

If I let you win our shooting contest can we go shoot prairie dogs at Welch again? Chris is coming to visit again this summer. grin

Ed

Propositions such as yours are handled by my agent, Miles.

With all these new jobs/positions that I seem to be coming up with, I think I might be working too cheap. I would up my fee, but I don't know what it is now. cry miles
With all these new jobs/positions that I seem to be coming up with, I think I might be working too cheap. I would up my fee, but I don't know what it is now. cry miles

Miles, I've always thought you were easy, just not cheap. grin

Let me know what the fee is going to be. Maybe some of Barbara'a famous Pecan Brownies?

Ed
Originally Posted by labarr
Hi, Guys. Have been a bit out of pocket but watching and anticipating the gathering in East Texas. It will probably be 110F, you know, so on the average, we will be just right.

Leonard, It's good to see you chime in. I was beginning to think you weren't interested. grin

I am fervently hoping it wont be above the normal 80F in the daytime, and no lower than the normal 55F at night. The way this year has been going so far, we're running about 5F above "normal", so it still shouldn't be too bad.

I have fired literally thousands of rounds of rifle, pistol, and shotgun at steel targets from 10 yards out past 500 yards. That includes jacketed rifle pistol and monometal shotgun slugs. The only time I ever had a ricochet was at 10 and 15 yards when firing FMJ pistol rounds and fragments came back. No puncture wounds, just sting. Everyone should be wearing safety glasses when shooting steel. That's a given.

We won't be shooting steel any closer than 25 yards, with most of it being 50 yards and farther. We also don't shoot perpendicular to the face of the steel, so bullets and fragments don't come back uprange.

Most of our targets will be paper or plastic.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Ed
Dang, wrote a smartass response and closed the browser!
Anyway, seems like we may be able to come, barring last minute emergencies. Adriana talks as if we are definitely doing it (much to her dismay, haha).
The kids don't know about it yet, but will be thrilled.
We'll tell them we we get back from Peru (flying this Friday and coming back on the 19th)

Thinking about the shooting and all the rigging going on, I think I will bring last year's "2nd place achieving" target and rent Miles to swap for this year's if I shoot a little stray.

David, where and when are you going?
I know some peeps with sweet intel on the doves
[Linked Image]

Pablo,

Dang, I could get into some of that pretty quick.

Not sure where other than Peru, but sometime next week is panic time. Yo pienso en la mina de oro, plata, o cobre, pero no se seguro. I'll let you know when I have something solid, when and where.

David

David. I have friends working en minas por todos lados. Travelling next week? I'll be there. Let me know

Will do.

We brainstormed and decided we should get a remote controlled car, mount a target holder on it, and use it for our charging dangerous game shoot. grin

Now, survivability of the vehicle may be problematic, is the only concern I have...

Have we started a list yet of who's bringing what?
Don't think so.
Looks like, since there are some discrepancies about the rules, we will have to go 'all the way to the top', for clarification.
Yep, we're going 'straight to the top', not going to fool around with any of the pions. Gonna ask Mrs Barbara to be the moderator and make a ruling.grin

I keep forgetting to tell y'all, Mrs. Barbara said that she would be proud to be the Moderator, but that y'all have to keep in mind that she has whips AND spurs and knows how to use them. shocked eek laugh

Ed
Mrs. Barbara said that she would be proud to be the Moderator, but that y'all have to keep in mind that she has whips AND spurs and knows how to use them. shocked eek laugh
Ed

Will that make her a Moderator or a Regulator??? East Texas??
Feud between old codgers?? Am I missing something dangerous in here?
Should I stay away or bring my kids to see history replayed by those who participated in its making? whistle
BAM!
Bring the kids, Pablo! I've never seen two grown(?) men shooting at each other with slingshots and ping pong balls, so it's going to be a new experience for me, too. grin

Mrs. Barbara is Moderator, Regulator, and Empress Of The Known Universe (on some subjects). laugh

Ed
We brainstormed and decided we should get a remote controlled car, mount a target holder on it, and use it for our charging dangerous game shoot. grin Now, survivability of the vehicle may be problematic, is the only concern I have...Have we started a list yet of who's bringing what?

We have not. First, here is a list of those who have said that they are most likely attending (in no particular order except how my brain sifted them out);

Milespatton
RIO7
Oldman03 & Boss
'Bout Half Cocked
ldholton
gunner500
Texczech & Kelley
DLALLDER & Wife
Wtxj
dennisinaz
Kristy80 & family
Velvet Tines & Co
tex n cal
labarr
curdog4570 & Peggy
kaywoodie
Sponxx & Family
TDD4570
OSUSig
Seafire
Birdwatcher
My daughter, Heather, & grandson, Hunter

There are a couple of more "tentatives" who won't know until 48-72 hours before the weekend if they are coming.

Next post will be the menu items and who we have (so far) bringing what.

Ed

Ed is the pd shoot any gun and how far?
Here is the list showing what we have coming so far and who has volunteered to bring it;

Milespatton - Bacon, 1 large can coffee, coffee pot, frozen french fries, George Dickel grin , maybe more as needed.

RIO7 - Steaks for Saturday Supper

Oldman03 & Boss - Crawfish Boil for Saturday Lunch

Bout Half Cocked -

ldholton -

gunner500 -

Texczech & Kelley -

DLALLDER & Wife -

Wtxj - Eggs for breakfast for Saturday & Sunday, 108 eggs, Hot sauce of some sort, need 2 assistant's out of the below group to help, becky creek whiskey

dennisinaz -

Kristy80 & family -

Velvet Tines & Co - Sausage(s)?

tex n cal -

labarr -

curdog4570 & Peggy -

kaywoodie -

Sponxx & Family - Pisco Sours for Saturday Evening

TDD4570 -

OSUSig -

Seafire -

Birdwatcher -

My daughter, Heather, & grandson, Hunter -

There are a couple of more "tentatives" who won't know until 48-72 hours before the weekend if they are coming.

Ed
Ed is the pd shoot any gun and how far?

200 yards, one shot, cold bore, your choice of rifle, sights, caliber, and shooting position. Most shoot from a benchrest. Closest shot to the center of the orange dot on the PD silhouette wins. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off.

Ed
Here is the list showing what we have coming so far and who has volunteered to bring it;

Milespatton -Bacon, 1 large can coffee, coffee pot, frozen french fries, George Dickel grin, maybe more as needed.

Bout Half Cocked -

ldholton -

gunner500 -

Texczech & Kelley -

DLALLDER & Wife -

Wtxj - Eggs for breakfast for Saturday & Sunday

dennisinaz -

Kristy80 & family -

tex n cal -

labarr -

curdog4570 & Peggy -

kaywoodie -

TDD4570 -

OSUSig -

Seafire -

Birdwatcher -

Milespatton -

Bout Half Cocked -

ldholton -

gunner500 -

Texczech & Kelley -

DLALLDER & Wife -

Wtxj - Eggs for breakfast for Saturday & Sunday, 108 eggs, Hot sauce of some sort, need 2 assistant's out of the below group to help, becky creek whiskey

dennisinaz -

Kristy80 & family -

tex n cal -

labarr -

curdog4570 & Peggy -

kaywoodie -

TDD4570 -

OSUSig -

Seafire -

Birdwatcher -

Ed
Miles and Gordon, changes noted and post above duly edited. :-)

Ed
Thanks Ed. I must have missed it through the pages.

By the way,I haven't been able to put the gift you gave me last year to use. Maybe somebody at the gathering could use it. I'll bring it and see. Oh it's Kevin and Terri.

Have you decided what needs to be brought?

Oh it's Kevin and Terri.
Feeling the dang vise tighten. mad hope I can shake loose Ed.
You ain't that far from here. I'll just kidnap you and demand a ransom. We can split it. grin

Ed
I'll bring what's ever suggested. It will be nice to attend one and not be heading it up crazy
You ain't that far from here. I'll just kidnap you and demand a ransom. We can split it. grin

Ed

I fear I may be summoned 180 degrees from Tejas. mad
Ed
I fear I may be summoned 180 degrees from Tejas. mad

You're going to Southern California? eek

Ed

Ed

That won't work, Wifey will send you repeated large sums of money to keep me. grin
Can I please beg the timing rather than sort my way through the thread. I am home on Sunday retired with nary a thought... Middle boy is schooling in Tyler so a combo trip is perfect.
It's that time again! We've all forgotten about the miserable weather from last year and pray for a bit warmer weather this year!

We are looking to have the Gathering at our place again, just west of the big city of Gilmer, TX, but a bit later in April due to scheduling conflicts here.

Looks like the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, April 24, 25, and 26 will be the dates.

I am hoping that everyone who was here last year can make it again and those who couldn't make it, will be able to join us!

There will be eating, drinking, lie telling, singing (if I can get curdog4570 to bring his guitar whistle ) rifle, handgun, and shotgun shooting, bullshooting (different from lying wink ), fishing, archery, and a snipe hunt.

We can shoot out to 350 yards and will have several shooting contests set up.

The Prairie Dog Shoot will be featured, any rifle, any caliber, any sights or optics, any position, one shot, cold bore at a 1/2" orange dot on a life-size silhouette of a prairie dog at 200 yards. Closest to the center of the dot wins. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off.

Last year, we had planned on a military rifle shoot, traditional archery shoot, an Elk Shoot, and a pistol duel (using a dueling tree, not each other! eek grin )but we got weathered out. Those are options again as well as any other suggestions y'all might have.

Oh, we HAVE to have a BPCR shoot! grin ( I think I'll drop a hammer on sharpsguy's hands a couple of times to handicap him. Accidently, of course. whistle grin )

Kids are welcome as this is a family affair. There is plenty of camping spots available, a couple of beds inside the "Barn House", and hotels in Gilmer, roughly 15 miles away if that's your idea of "roughing it". grin

I expect most folks to come in on Friday, the 24th, and most folks stay until Sunday afternoon.

Once we have an idea of how many folks can come, we will start looking seriously at the menus and accoutrements.

We had a great time last year and I think this year will be even better! I hope y'all can make it!

Ed

Here you go ED #2
Welcome home
Ed
That won't work, Wifey will send you repeated large sums of money to keep me. grin

Well, that work for me! I get to enjoy your company AND money! It' a plan, then! laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by EdM
Can I please beg the timing rather than sort my way through the thread. I am home on Sunday retired with nary a thought... Middle boy is schooling in Tyler so a combo trip is perfect.

It is Friday, Saturday, Sunday, the 24th, 25th, and 26th of April at our place about forty miles north of Tyler, ten miles west of Gilmer.

I hope you can make it!

Ed
Ed,
Thinking again - maybe we could make a slight addition to the PD shoot - hold it both Sat and Sun am, weather permitting. The "Spagetti Western Shootout" could be separated into wheelguns [single action firing only] and autos. You might also consider a 50yd offhand for lever action, iron sights only.

I'll bring 3 fold up target frames, set up for four targets each, 5 bulls per target [with targets I have in hand]. Might be able to squeeze in a fourth frame if needed.

Have a big bottle of Knob Creek and, of course obligatory bottle of tah-Kill-yah with stuff.

Since hog hunt was unsucessful, probably bring breakfast ham for variety, with something else like chicken or hamburger, some plates and cups.

It's-a gittin-close!!
I like the way you think, Leonard, except for the "ta kill ya" stuff. grin

We have posted a bunch of shooting matches, now we need to sort them out and prioritize them.
There will be some "down time" between matches as we set up for the next one, but I'm not seeing a lot of spare time to add anything else. I could see the levergun match being shot right after the DGR shoot as the distance is the same.

It's looking like roughly the same number as last year, around 35-40 folks so far, with some of my students possibly also attending.

Ed
Say Ed... I need to know a little more about the 'Old Codger' shooting contest.

I want to make sure I got this right... .22LR at 50 yds, what position? Shoot off sticks, bags, rest?

Reason I'm asking... do I need to bring my good gun or will the one on the truck floorboard suffice? grin

bad news for us: a co-worker of pete's retired tuesday so everyone has shifted up one spot on rotation. instead of being off for the shindig, pete is now second in line on the call list and can't be more than an hour and a half away. i was hoping to meet everyone and cook some deer meat. hope ya'll have a great time and maybe his schedule will allow us to visit next year. take lots of pictures. no vacation for us til the middle of may.
Sure hate to hear that yall wont be able to make it, VT. I worked in south AL. and was hoping to swap some lies stories.

Say Ed... I need to know a little more about the 'Old Codger' shooting contest.

I want to make sure I got this right... .22LR at 50 yds, what position? Shoot off sticks, bags, rest?

Reason I'm asking... do I need to bring my good gun or will the one on the truck floorboard suffice? grin

Way it got started was that the Younguns are having a match with any rifle, any sights, from prone at 200 yards. Us Mature Gentlemen are permitted to shoot in THAT match, sitting, with sticks. Blue don't own a 22, but you may shoot yours since it's "any rifle, any sights".

In fact... I suggest that you DO shoot it with your 22. [hee,hee,hee]
Ed

Well, that work for me! I get to enjoy your company AND money! It' a plan, then! laugh

Ed

A sure win/win/win. laugh laugh
Ed and Gang,

Still looks like I may not know anything til next Wednesday. Now it's looking pretty bleak. But on a brighter note, Steph is walking a little bit!!!!! Well kinda a walk. But she can stand on her own a bit, and balance for a while!!!! One step at a time right now!!!

Bob
Bob, good to hear that Steph is coming along, albeit slow. I am pulling for you to make the gathering and Her to get that big Colorado elk. miles
Thanks Miles. Was watching a Gene Autry movie with grandkids last night. I asked Michael if the country looked familiar. He said it looked like New Mexico. He said he wanted to go back there and see that man again!!! I asked Mr. Patton??? He said a resounding Yes!!!!! laugh
Glad to hear Mrs Steph is doing better and those small steps start adding up pretty quick. First thing you know, she will be a walking and leaving you behind.

Great gathering of good folks, to be sure.

Ed...I've received a handful of PMs describing how kind and generous you and your wife are and how nice your place is for this memorable event.

I feel badly you couldn't come up with my appearance fee.

Have a wonderful time, as I know all will.

You're good people, ED!
Ed - this thread makes me envious. Wish I could join y'all again this year.
Ed,
When you get a chance, can you just list the shooting events with a brief of allowed guns, and yardages?

Thanks much.
Originally Posted by velvet tines
bad news for us: a co-worker of pete's retired tuesday so everyone has shifted up one spot on rotation. instead of being off for the shindig, pete is now second in line on the call list and can't be more than an hour and a half away. i was hoping to meet everyone and cook some deer meat. hope ya'll have a great time and maybe his schedule will allow us to visit next year. take lots of pictures. no vacation for us til the middle of may.

That's bad news for us, too! Come see us when you can!

Ed
Originally Posted by isaac
...I feel badly you couldn't come up with my appearance fee.

Thank you for the kind words, Bob.

If you would not have demanded your fee be paid in 20 year old Scotch, Cuban cigars, and having your personal sheep keep you warm at night, we could have had a deal. All I could find was 18 year old Scotch and the deal fell through. frown grin

Really, I am sorry that you won't make it this year. I am looking forward to the day we finally get to shake hands and swap lies in person.

Come see us sometime. Mi casa es tu casa.

Ed
Way it got started was that the Younguns are having a match with any rifle, any sights, from prone at 200 yards. Us Mature Gentlemen are permitted to shoot in THAT match, sitting, with sticks. Blue don't own a 22, but you may shoot yours since it's "any rifle, any sights". In fact... I suggest that you DO shoot it with your 22. [hee,hee,hee]

Are you trying to confuse Randy or me?

The discussion was around the "Enemy at the Gates" sniper shoot with .22lr at 50 yards, prone. Since some of you are too "round" to shoot prone, or are old enough to generate respect and not have to endure the prone position, we were discussing letting you "mature" gentlemen shoot from sticks while seated.

If Randy chooses to shoot it from 200 yards, I'd say he was just showing off. laugh

Ed
Glad to hear that Steph is doing better. That has to make her and you feel better.

Ed
Say Ed... I need to know a little more about the 'Old Codger' shooting contest. I want to make sure I got this right... .22LR at 50 yds, what position? Shoot off sticks, bags, rest? Reason I'm asking... do I need to bring my good gun or will the one on the truck floorboard suffice? grin

The "Old Codger" shoot hasn't been defined yet. The "Enemy at the Gates" sniper shoot is from prone except for those who, due to advanced age, can get prone but can't get back up. For them, shooting off of sticks while sitting is allowed.

Shooting from the supine position, aka 'dying turtle" is showing off, therefore, not permitted. Only Paladin is allowed to "show off". laugh

Ed
He said a resounding Yes!

I would be delighted to see that young man again. He made quite an impression on me. miles

No more than I wish you could be here, Paul.

Ed

As do I. miles
Originally Posted by isaac
...I feel badly you couldn't come up with my appearance fee.

Thank you for the kind words, Bob.

If you would not have demanded your fee be paid in 20 year old Scotch, Cuban cigars, and having your personal sheep keep you warm at night, we could have had a deal. All I could find was 18 year old Scotch and the deal fell through. frown grin

Really, I am sorry that you won't make it this year. I am looking forward to the day we finally get to shake hands and swap lies in person.

Come see us sometime. Mi casa es tu casa.

Ed

Me and Miles was gonna donate our miles for your ticket Bob.

A bus really is the best way to see the country.
Way it got started was that the Younguns are having a match with any rifle, any sights, from prone at 200 yards. Us Mature Gentlemen are permitted to shoot in THAT match, sitting, with sticks. Blue don't own a 22, but you may shoot yours since it's "any rifle, any sights". In fact... I suggest that you DO shoot it with your 22. [hee,hee,hee]

Are you trying to confuse Randy or me?

The discussion was around the "Enemy at the Gates" sniper shoot with .22lr at 50 yards, prone. Since some of you are too "round" to shoot prone, or are old enough to generate respect and not have to endure the prone position, we were discussing letting you "mature" gentlemen shoot from sticks while seated.

If Randy chooses to shoot it from 200 yards, I'd say he was just showing off. laugh

Ed

The "handicap" was granted to me and Blue originally...... and Blue don't own a 22. Do I have to go back thru ALL the posts to prove it was for the 200 yard shoot?

Never mind, Randy got Grandfathered in, so it's going to be all screwed up anyhow.

And I got a 22........ a real good one.

grin
How'dy All, internet is down at the ranch, in town use ing borrowed computer I will catch up when we are back up and running, glad to hear Steph, is doing better. later rio7
I'm gonna bring my buddy, pal, and friend Blue, a .22 to shoot. He can shoot it any way he likes... sticks, prone, bags, rest, whatever.

I'm even gonna supply the ammo, for the .22!

Got 2 .22 rifles and a brick of ammo, for the kids to shoot.

I will have some .22 ammo for shooting. Have to check my stash and see if there is any for giving. miles
... Do I have to go back thru ALL the posts to prove it was for the 200 yard shoot?

Yes, you WILL have to go back through them to prove it to me.

The reason is, the ONLY 200 yard match we have(and have had) is the Prairie Dog Shoot and that is any rifle, any caliber, any sights, ANY POSITION.

Mebee you need to up your Geritol dose in the mornings? laugh

Ed

I will have some .22 ammo for shooting. Have to check my stash and see if there is any for giving. miles

Me, too.

BTW, I'll dust off the "barn gun" for Blue to shoot if he wants to use a real quality firearm.

Ed
The way we shot the 22lr at 50m was prone, but no support. That meant only elbows and whatever else from your body contacted ground. No bags, sticks, tripod, bipods, walkers or wheelchairs... rules can be bent for those who can't bend.
1 shot at a time.
BTW Paladin was supposed to be in Peru by now, but there has been radio silence from his contact on the job. We should make it back this Sunday as I am speaking in a conference
The way we shot the 22lr at 50m was prone, but no support. That meant only elbows and whatever else from your body contacted ground. No bags, sticks, tripod, bipods, walkers or wheelchairs... rules can be bent for those who can't bend.
1 shot at a time.
BTW Paladin was supposed to be in Peru by now, but there has been radio silence from his contact on the job. We should make it back this Sunday as I am speaking in a conference

Yup. Should'a known. Until there's a signed contract it's all fluff. And as of this afternoon it's all fluff and silence.

No more than I wish that you could get to Quemado more often.

Ed

That's actually pretty good as you guys will be able to party indefinitely or the honey-do jar fills up and she can't find a mesican to do the yard work.
1 shot at a time.

Yup. Should'a known. Until there's a signed contract it's all fluff. And as of this afternoon it's all fluff and silence.

Pack your stuff and meet us at Ed's. You can leave from there, if they sign. I'll drive you to DFW, so you can catch a plane, if the need arises.

Originally Posted by 284LUVR
You ain't that far from here. I'll just kidnap you and demand a ransom. We can split it. grin Ed
That's actually pretty good as you guys will be able to party indefinitely or the honey-do jar fills up and she can't find a mesican to do the yard work.

Or until my Bride decides it's time for me to go back to work...

Ed
Pack your stuff and meet us at Ed's. You can leave from there, if they sign. I'll drive you to DFW, so you can catch a plane, if the need arises.

Tyler airport is quicker so he can stay longer. They have hops to DFW and Bush Intercontinental. grin

I DO like the way you think, Randy!

Ed
It would be great to have David there, although it does increase the competition at every level. miles
Thanks guys, I like the way ALL of you think.

Just when I was unpacking to repack for East Texas, I received a Red Alert panic email from Chicken Little stating the sky is falling and I should have already been in Peru.

Fortunately and unfortunately, I won't be able to see everyone at Ed's Place (that should be the name of a cafe/bar/dance hall/shooting gallery).

As a matter of fact, I'll miss seeing Pablo as well.

Be safe, sage, sane, and have a barrel of monkey fun. And take lots of pics.

David

Ed and Gang,

As of this morning I will not be able to attend the event. I do not see the current situation improving before next week.

Thanks to you all for all the kind words!

Bob
...Fortunately and unfortunately, I won't be able to see everyone at Ed's Place (that should be the name of a cafe/bar/dance hall/shooting gallery)...

It already is all that. laugh

I'm sorry to hear that you won't make it here or see Pablo. Tell Chicken Little that there are some pretty pissed off Texicans 'cause he's interfering with our party!

Come see us!

Ed
Ed and Gang, As of this morning I will not be able to attend the event. I do not see the current situation improving before next week. Thanks to you all for all the kind words! Bob

I'm sorry to hear that, Bob, but I understand.

Perhaps you can get a break sometime soon and come up here and hide for a few days. You know that you are always welcome.

Ed
Ed to many letters, when you get back on line how about a PM with your address so I can load into GPS. I couldn't find your place again because Ed lives in an area of too many hidden roads. Ed of too many roads.

TIA
I'll get it done tonight, Gordon. Time is getting short and we need to get a bunch of detail hammered out.

Ed
My gang is not going to make it.

Same old stuff. Life is getting in the way.

Dave
Originally Posted by tdd4570
My gang is not going to make it. Same old stuff. Life is getting in the way. Dave

That sucks. Please know that you and your gang are welcome up here anytime. Bring the family for a weekend, we'll fish, shoot, and burn marshmallows. laugh

Ed
Ed, did you see where Miles has been practicing his shooting?
Again, the amended lit of attendees, so far:

Milespatton
RIO7
Oldman03 & Boss
'Bout Half Cocked
ldholton
Texczech & Kelley
DLALLDER & Wife
Wtxj
dennisinaz
Kristy80 & family
tex n cal
labarr
curdog4570
Sponxx & Family
OSUSig
Seafire
Birdwatcher
My daughter, Heather, & grandson, Hunter
Jennifer (one of my students)
And a couple of "maybes"

So, roughly 28 adults (or so they claim) and 7 kids.

There's still plenty of room for more!

Next up will be the menu and who's bringing what.

Ed
Ed, did you see where Miles has been practicing his shooting?

I did. Between his practicing, and how I saw him shoot down at Blue's place, he is the one to watch.

Ed
Here is the menu and amended "needs" list;

Friday Supper; Taco night - Grilled marinated Tri-Tip, flour and corn tortillas, lettuce, refried beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, chips. Needs; All of it except Tri Tip.

Saturday Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Bacon & Sausage, tortillas, pastries, and coffee. Needs;Flour Tortillas, bread(?)

Saturday Lunch - Crawfish Boil, brisket sandwiches, coleslaw, chips. Needs: Bread

Saturday Supper - Grilled Steak, Potato Salad, Fries, red beans, bread. Needs; Bread

Sunday Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Bacon & Sausage, tortillas, pastries, and coffee. Needs; Flour Tortillas, bread(?)

Sunday Lunch - Leftovers. Needs; Appetites to help finish off the leftovers grin

Still Need; 10 14oz cans Refried Beans (or 3lb bulk can), Flour Tortillas, Corn Tortillas (Gluten free, please!), 3 loaves of White Bread, 2 heads Iceberg lettuce, 8-10 tomatoes, 6-8 large Onions, 4 bags shredded cheddar cheese, favorite salsa?, One quart Sour Cream, 2 large bags of charcoal, large heavy duty trash bags, Paper Towels, Red or Blue Solo Cups, Styrofoam coffee cups, Coffee sweetener, hot cocoa mix, milk/cream, S'MORES MAKINGS, bottled water/sodas.

I think that's it, folks, unless y'all come up with something I've missed, which is entirely possible. blush

Ed
Milespatton - Bacon, 1 large can coffee, coffee pot, frozen french fries, George Dickel grin , maybe more as needed.

Bout Half Cocked -

ldholton -

Texczech & Kelley -

DLALLDER & Wife -

dennisinaz -

Kristy80 & family - Napkins, plastic ware

tex n cal -

labarr -

curdog4570 -

OSUSig -

Seafire -

Birdwatcher -

Barbara & I - Red Beans, Refried Beans, Corn Tortillas

Jennifer - Paper Plates
labarr and I will bring as follows:

I'll donate cash for Barbara's grocery run

Buffalo Trace bourbon & fancy tequilia. Possibly margarita makings

For those who'd like to have some red wine with red meat I'll bring two bottles of good California Cabernet, and a bottle of some fancy French wine. I don't remember what was special about it, but it says "Grand Cru 2001" so it oughta be drinkable. You will have to find your own fancy glasses smile

tonight I picked up 3 large bottles of assorted Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, and two containers of Gordon's Grub Rub.

We'll bring two large coolers full of ice.

I have a large pop up pavilion which can provide extra shade or shelter, and can bring it if required.

edit to add, we'll bring ten pounds of breakfast sausage. Not sure yet if it will be bought or made blush

Let me know if we can bring something else.

Ed.... I'll furnish the brisket and all the trimmings. If Miz Barbara will pick it up, I'll reimburse her when I get there on Friday.

And I'll have a supply of vyeenees and crackers in the pickup.
And I'll have a supply of vyeenees and crackers in the pickup.

It was nice of you to volunteer but vyeenees ain't sausage. Ed, I think that I have some Jimmy Dean sausage that has been in the freezer for a while and needs using. If not or if not enough, I will just grab some more while getting bacon. miles
I added a note about bringing sausage as well. How much do we think we'll want for the group, both mornings?
Thanks, guys. We're well on the way!

Patrick, I figure ~ 1/4lb per person per breakfast should do us just fine. Some folks will want bacon instead of sausage, some will want both. Roughly, we'll have 30-35 people for breakfast, so 15lb should do it. Miles is bringing bacon, and Gene will have his stash of vyeenies we can fry up if we get desperate. laugh

Ed
Here is the menu and amended "needs" list;

Friday Supper; Taco night - Grilled marinated Tri-Tip, flour and corn tortillas, lettuce, refried beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, chips. Needs; All of it except Tri Tip.

Saturday Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Bacon & Sausage, tortillas, pastries, and coffee. Needs;Flour Tortillas, bread(?)

Saturday Lunch - Crawfish Boil, brisket sandwiches, coleslaw, chips. Needs: Bread

Saturday Supper - Grilled Steak, Potato Salad, Fries, red beans, bread. Needs; Bread

Sunday Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Bacon & Sausage, tortillas, pastries, and coffee. Needs; Flour Tortillas, bread(?)

Sunday Lunch - Leftovers. Needs; Appetites to help finish off the leftovers grin

Still Need; 10 14oz cans Refried Beans (or 3lb bulk can), Flour Tortillas, Corn Tortillas (Gluten free, please!), 3 loaves of White Bread, 2 heads Iceberg lettuce, 8-10 tomatoes, 6-8 large Onions, 4 bags shredded cheddar cheese, favorite salsa?, One quart Sour Cream, 2 large bags of charcoal, large heavy duty trash bags, Paper Towels, Red or Blue Solo Cups, Styrofoam coffee cups, Coffee sweetener, hot cocoa mix, milk/cream, S'MORES MAKINGS, bottled water/sodas.

I think that's it, folks, unless y'all come up with something I've missed, which is entirely possible. blush

Ed
We have the menus and approximate number of attendees, now we need to know WHEN folks will be arriving to make sure we have the meals properly sized and timed for eating, particularly Friday night.

I figure Blue and Miles will be slipping in here a day or two early, and some folks won't get here until late Friday evening.

Any ideas on arrival time(s)?

Thanks,

Ed
Friday afternoon for me.
labarr and I will arrive noonish
what range again is the military rifle shoot? grin
Patrick, for you it's 400 yards. For the rest of us, it's 100 yards. grin

Ed
Here are the shooting matches (so far).

Prairie Dog Shoot - One shot @ 200 yards, cold bore, any rifle, any caliber, any sights, any position, in 60 seconds from fire command ('cause Prairie Dogs don't stick around forever!), at a 1/2" orange dot on a life-size prairie dog silhouette that YOU have identified by writing your name on or next to it.

DGR Shoot - Any rifle, .40 caliber and up, iron sights only, two 8" targets fired at, one shot each, in order of farthest to closest, starting at 35 yards, then 15 yards. NO light loads. Factory load equivalent only, This will favor double guns as far as speed, but accuracy is what is important.

It doesn't help if you miss really, really fast. shocked laugh

Enemy At The Gates Sniper Shoot - Single Shot .22lr rifle @ 50 yards, prone position with or without sling or for those who can't get into prone position and back up again, sitting in a chair with shooting sticks, scoped or iron sights, at six 5" miniature IDPA steel silhouettes, then a 3" diameter steel "stop plate" to win. Two shooters compete at a time, single elimination, first one to knock down all six of their silhouettes and their stop plate wins that round and shoots until they lose or they beat all other shooters.

.22lr Shoot - Any rifle, any sights, any position, 100 yards, tightest five shot group with one round REQUIRED to be in the orange center dot. If no one gets a round in the dot, then closest group to the dot wins. Time limit of 90 seconds for the five shots.

BPCR Shoot - 12" target, three rounds, barrel sights only, any position, 200 yards, in one minute. Smallest group wins.

The "Kaywoodie" Shoot grin - Any vintage military rifle, any caliber, iron sights only, military issue or equivalent loads, three shots, off-hand (slings permitted), in one minute at 100 yards.

Spaghetti Western Practice Shoot - 15 yards, any Centerfire Revolver or auto-pistol, iron sights only, five shots, one-handed, beginning with the handgun in the shooters hand and at his/her side, at five beverage cans on a log, in 30 seconds. Ties will be decided by a shoot-off consisting of five cans on a log, five shots in 30 seconds at 50 yards. grin (Thought y'all were going to get off easy, didn't ya?)

I need ideas on a "Kids Shoot", too. Any thoughts? Maybe a closer "Enemy at the Gates" shoot with balloons as targets?

We can have a Traditional Archery Shoot here in the yard at anytime. 4" balloons at 20 yards, pick the color of balloon BEFORE you release the arrow. grin
Ties will be decided by shooting an apple off of the opponent's head. First shooter will be determined by a coin toss. shocked

Or, shoot-off will be at golf ball size balloons at 20 yards. Your choice. grin

Ed
labarr and I will arrive noonish
I'm hoping that will be noonish, Friday. grin

Ed
Damn. Wished I could make it. I hear whimpering from my ol' Krag. frown
large heavy duty trash bags,

I already have these. Fit a 55 gallon drum and are heavy duty. miles
Great, Miles, thanks!

Bob, I can hear your Krag from here. grin

Ed
Ed, you didnt mention any shooting clays in the contest. Dont know if this was an oversite or if there was a reason. Could have a very simple shoot-off, 1 shot from 5 different stations, group with most hits goes to another round, change up distance or stations, until winner is determined, any shotgun any choke any shot size. Just an idea! 1st place prize will be the winner doesnt have to wash dishes that night!!!

Jo, Alan, and I should arrive before noon Friday. I am suppose to pick up the crawfish early Friday morning.
yes, Friday at noon smile

vintage military rifles...hmmm hope that includes a Mk12, since I just bought iron sights for it smirk
Ed, you didnt mention any shooting clays in the contest. Dont know if this was an oversite or if there was a reason.

Randy, it was an oversight. Your idea sounds good. I hope we can get all of the competitions in! grin

See you Friday!

Ed
yes, Friday at noon smile vintage military rifles...hmmm hope that includes a Mk12, since I just bought iron sights for it smirk

Define "vintage"? Is that a Daniels Defense Mk12 by any chance? I looked at the specs when they first came out. Should be a sweet rifle!

Ed
We're going to bring 2 ea 5 lb bags of cheese, sour cream, 6 loaves of bread, 3 lb can of refried beans, flour and corn tortillas (will try to find gluten free,) 2 heads of lettuce, 5 lbs of onions, potato salad, a passel of kids and a couple of desserts. If there's anything else we need to bring, just let us know. We're excited about coming.

Kevin

As far as the kids shoot goes, our boys shoot out to 75 yards with a scoped 22. They'd have fun with anything from 25 to 100 yards. We have some swinging targets that they shoot at, and they also like to shoot 20 oz coke bottles.
I forgot to mention anything about hooting clays and, just as important, I forgot to remind everyone to BRING FISHING RODS! The bass and bluegills are hungry!
I saw a bass, maybe 2lb, come completely out of the water chasing minnows two days ago, in the "upper pond". grin

There are two boats here and I have a few life vests, even some for smaller kids.

There are a few places to fish from shore, too.

Can't wait!

Ed
Obviously, you guys have everything covered
except the

[Linked Image]

and the caviar! smile

A Campfire lady in Alabama sent me a jar of
home-canned figs. Enjoyed some for breakfast
this morning.

Wish that I could be down there with all you guys!
I'd bring some caviar, but no way would any of you
ol' reprobates get any of these figs! frown
but no way would any of you
ol' reprobates get any of these figs!

Lucky you. I like figs. miles
if i can get there it will be Friday night. i have to see how thing play out.
It's not looking good for me to be there. I've had something come up that will prevent me from traveling. I'll keep you posted if it changes but as of now, I can't come.
Dammit.
Ed,
Patrick and I have given up grinding sausage this week. We'll bring a pile of small turkey breakfast sausages and two breakfast hams, preslced and cooked, so they can just be seared.

That with the margarita mixes, the tequila sunrise supplies, and some hope for not finishing last in all the shoots. The Knob Creek is bound to help.

vintage military rifles...hmmm hope that includes a Mk12, since I just bought iron sights for it smirk

I'll be aiming for about that same time.

I'll bring as many folding chairs as I can round up. They were kinda at a premium last year.
Leonard, the turkey sausage and ham will be fine. Knob Creek will certainly soothe what ails you, or kill you in the process. laugh

Gene, thanks for bringing the chairs. We will drag out every one we have, too.

See you guys Friday!

Ed
We're going to bring 2 ea 5 lb bags of cheese, sour cream, 6 loaves of bread, 3 lb can of refried beans, flour and corn tortillas (will try to find gluten free,) 2 heads of lettuce, 5 lbs of onions, potato salad, a passel of kids and a couple of desserts. If there's anything else we need to bring, just let us know. We're excited about coming. Kevin As far as the kids shoot goes, our boys shoot out to 75 yards with a scoped 22. They'd have fun with anything from 25 to 100 yards. We have some swinging targets that they shoot at, and they also like to shoot 20 oz coke bottles.

Kevin, that is very generous of you! We can shoot from point-blank range out to 400 yards, so the kids should be challenged. grin

BTW, when do you think you'll get here"

Ed
Originally Posted by stxhunter
if i can get there it will be Friday night. i have to see how thing play out.

Hope so, Roger! We'll leave the light on for you. wink

Ed
It's not looking good for me to be there. I've had something come up that will prevent me from traveling. I'll keep you posted if it changes but as of now, I can't come.
Dammit.

Well, Dammit, I hope it clears up in time for you to come!

Ed

I'll bring as many folding chairs as I can round up. They were kinda at a premium last year.

I've got about 10 metal folding chairs that I will bring.
Ed
We plan on leaving as soon the kids get out of school. Should be there about 5:30 friday, plan on staying the whole weekend. I have found gluten free corn tortillas. Did you want gluten free flour also?
We also have 6 or 8 chairs we can bring
Kevin, just regular flour tortillas will be great. We'll see you here!

Ed
See yall Friday. Hopefully the rain will pass us by.
yes, Friday at noon smile vintage military rifles...hmmm hope that includes a Mk12, since I just bought iron sights for it smirk

Define "vintage"? Is that a Daniels Defense Mk12 by any chance? I looked at the specs when they first came out. Should be a sweet rifle!

Ed

Yeah, it's a DD MK12. I shot it some today wit the new tipped 77 Matchkings and it did fine with a scope at 200 yards. Not so much with the iron sights smile But it did dawn on me that I have a SMLE No4 Mk I and I might just use it in the vintage mil rifle shoot. smile

The hoot of the day was putting new NECG sights on the .458 #1. Then tried a brand new 500gr load. I put 4 into a 6 inch circle offhand at 50 yards, and decided to quit while I was ahead. smile
Ed, I need to amend our attendance. The wife has run off to Branson with one of her girl friends so it will be just me attending. I have never been to one of your outing and am looking forward to it. Daniel BTW I will be there on Saturday.

I've got about 10 metal folding chairs that I will bring.

We can sit in yours and use mine for 300 yard targets.

Yours will get broke.
Daniel,
I'm sorry to hear that your wife won't be coming, but you're still welcome. grin

Come as early as you can and stay as long as you want.

Ed
"ED too many letters-too many hidden roads" we made it back from Peru yesterday. Everyone is exhausted, but still planning on being there at some point Friday afternoon/evening. Will call and let you know about dinner as it is likely we'll need to feed the kids somewhere along the way depending on departure time. Kids finish school at 2.30 and have already missed plenty this year with the trips to Peru.

I missed a lot of the posts, but we are planning on bringing Pisco (for pisco sour or pure consumption), marshmellows, tortillas, and if yime allows Adriana may be able to prepare some gluten-free dessert.

I am bubba-ing a better fitting buttstock for my shotty, so I am up for some clay shooting, and may even hit them. Doesn';t need to be a competition, (but it always is!)

Pablo, I'm glad you are back home safe and sound. International travel always wears me out, too.
Thanks for bringing the goodies. grin
Looking forward to seeing you again!

Ed
Ed, thanks a lot for the invite, Tent repair tackle should be here soon.
Regarding the .22LR Stalingrad shoot, guns don't need to be single shot, as long as only 1 shot is loaded at a time...
I'll look for some biodegradable clays, what kind of launcher do you have? or will Miles be demonstrating olympic disc throwing?
Walmart here has started carrying the biodegradable White Flyer clays, $9 per case.
Randy (Oldman03) is bringing his launcher as Miles is semi-retired from throwing clays. Something about folks not waiting for him to throw before they started shooting... eek

Ed
I think I have one of those hand throwers here somewhere. Someone else will have to use it , I got a bad back. I am also lazy. miles
miles
At least you are being honest.
P.S. Have a good time and get there and back safely.
Cheers NC
No clue if I'll hit anything with my .22, since I haven't been able to shoot it since last summer. Oh well. I'll take a whirl with it.

Since I found my SMLE I'll relegate the Mk12 to a fun backup duty. Although other folks are welcome to try it for fun.

I'll try to bring a shotgun. Not sure yet what flavor.
Just so everyone will know...

All this shooting at stationary targets is fine and good, but... we gonna try shooting moving targets, too!

We will be shooting clays, with shotguns. No rifles/pistols allowed, safety first. Now I know some of you can hit the targets with rifles/pistols whistle, but shooting in the air with these isn't good.

Any shotgun, any gauge, any load! cool

Kids love shooting clays, so if anyone has any light-load 20 ga. shells, that the kids can shoot up, bring them. I'm bringing 2 20 ga. shotguns the kids can use.
I've got a cut down Mod 37 20 ga. I'll bring for the small kids.
I have a brand new, never fired Youth H&R Topper NWTF 20ga in my gunsafe and a 20ga Winchester 1400(?) autoloader, a 20ga SKB SxS, and a couple of 12 gauges. I have some 12ga and some 20 ga light loads.
Come to think of it, I have my Dad's pre-war Auto-5 in 16ga, 2 9/16" and a couple of boxes of paper hull shells for it. Maybe I'll break it out and see if the old girl still shoots.

Getting close, folks!

Ed
Only have a 12ga OU and 12ga 1oz loads, but anyone and everyone is allowed to look and lust at it...
I'll bring both stocks. The fixed-up and the original one for normally dimensioned peeps.
… I have my Dad's pre-war Auto-5 in 16ga, 2 9/16" and a couple of boxes of paper hull shells for it. Maybe I'll break it out and see if the old girl still shoots.

And send me the empty hulls for sniffin'! smile
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
… I have my Dad's pre-war Auto-5 in 16ga, 2 9/16" and a couple of boxes of paper hull shells for it. Maybe I'll break it out and see if the old girl still shoots.

And send me the empty hulls for sniffin'! smile

Will do. I imagine there will be several folks wanting samples. Original Hoppe's #9, fired paper hull shotgun shells, and fired old WW .22 Shorts are smells of my youth that I miss.

Ed
We still need; Chips, Paper Towels, Red or Blue Solo Cups, Styrofoam coffee cups, Coffee sweetener, hot cocoa mix, milk/cream, S'MORES MAKINGS, bottled water/sodas.

Ed
I bought he charcoal but forgot to mention it.
And, the list is amended. Thanks, Gene.

Ed
I'll grab some paper towels and solo cups
I will have a giant jar of coffee creamer and some milk, half and half

Red or blue ones? grin

Ed.
I'll bring the smores makings, how much should I get? My kids usually just roast the marshmellows and eat them like that. Also let me know about the trip tip fee... and plan on letting me use the blender for the pisco sours (I'll bring ingredients necessary, but I will steal one of Wtxj eggs).

Chips, I'll add somekind of chip. Not sure if I will see the gluton free one's Ed. Don't want to go to Walmart.
Doc, your welcome to all the eggs you want.

Pastries--added to my list.
Oh yes, card board type (throw away) coffee cups.
Ed I printed off a few dual targets.
Put up Sat morning and they may not run.
Dual Elks, couldn't find any ground hogs so had to go with Elk with a orange spot. Rain will kill them.

TnC, we went to the store today and got 50 solo cups and 2 rolls of paper towels. Dont know if that will be enough, but it will help.

Whoever is getting chips, we picked up a bag, but probably gonna need more.

TnC, we went to the store today and got 50 solo cups and 2 rolls of paper towels. Dont know if that will be enough, but it will help.

Well, I got 50 Red and 50 Blue. Was gonna buy 100 clear but figgered that would distress folks smile

I picked up a dozen paper towels. I think we used about that many one 3 day Campfire Hog Hunt, but there were more men involved smirk

Well, I got 50 Red and 50 Blue. Was gonna buy 100 clear but figgered that would distress folks smile

I picked up a dozen paper towels. I think we used about that many one 3 day Campfire Hog Hunt, but there were more men involved smirk

Your a good man!

Thanks, Patrick!

Ed
Ed I printed off a few dual targets.
Put up Sat morning and they may not run.
Dual Elks, couldn't find any ground hogs so had to go with Elk with a orange spot. Rain will kill them.

It is supposed to rain like the proverbial cow and the flat rock on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be sunny and beautiful.

Ed
Ed, I am in Texarkana and it is raining right now. I will pick up a couple of bags of those chips that I had last year. Barbra said that She could eat them. Maybe they are still the same. I will call from Gilmer and see what else that I need to pick up. miles
I roll out as early as i can manage in the am tomorrow morning.

Since I'm passing through Dallas I'm going to detour up through Sherman to pick up some moccasins for re-enacting (hard to buy footwear like that that fits through the mail).

Gonna bring my trusty Savage .22 over 20 gauge for plinking, my .62 cal flintlock smoothbore so folks can shoot a flinter, and also I have a percussion Pedersoli 12 ga SxS I have yet to fire. I plan to rectify that.

I expect to roll in mid-afternoon tomorrow, I will call on the way in to see what I need to pick up.

Looking forward to it cool

Birdwatcher

You better detour a little farther North, across the Red, and enlist a couple of them Kickapoo Scouts you always go on about.

You'll never find Ed's place left on your own. grin
Miles, It is raining here as well, but the majority of this front will be through by noon today. There is a chance of severe thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon/evening and clear by Saturday morning.

Gene, Birdwatcher is a first class scout in his own right. He found this place when he was on his epic bicycle trip. grin

Not to say our place is remote, I prefer the term "secluded". grin

To all traveling today and tomorrow, stay safe and we'll see you shortly!

Ed
I'm very sorry but I'll be unable to make it this year. Sure wanted to come meet in person some of those I've talked to on the board and to meet other board members but it's just not going to work. I hope I didn't cause any inconvenience.
Not an inconvenience, sir, just a disappointment. We'll have another one of these and you'll still be welcome. grin

Ed
Patrick, please throw that covered pavilion in. We will probably need it tomorrow afternoon/evening for the rain and shade on Saturday & Sunday.

BTW, Amazon screwed up the steel target order and shipped it here, not to Greg's AND they shorted me by six of the mini-IDPA silhouettes, so our course of fire for the "Enemy At The Gates" shoot will be adjusted.

It looks as if we have all of the groceries and sundries taken care of, with the exception of bottled water/sodas. Seafire said he would pick up last minute items, too, so I'll hit him up for the water.

Pablo, regarding the S'Mores ingredients; including your mini-me's, there will be at least ten kids here (chronologically speaking) and a few purported adults that will also want some. Maybe three boxes of graham crackers, three bags of large marshmallows, and several Hershey's chocolate bars? Since I don't eat them, I have no idea of exact numbers. Barbara says "regardless of the other ingredients, do NOT run out of marshmallows". grin

Ed
Just a reminder that we need to chip in for the Crawdads[to Randy] and the Porta Potty [to Ed].

For any newcomers: Since the address is NUT MEG road, it's easy to assume that Ed's wife's name is "Meg"..... but it's Barbara.

I overheard a couple guys making that mistake last year.
Hey Gene, Miles is already at Ed's place, or should be. He posted from Texarkana before daylight this morning and you can walk to Ed's by noon from there.

Anyway, that's a good thing... Miles will have the grass cut and run the weedeater around the house and pavilion, bushhog the pasture, target stands in place, ranges marked off, tables and chairs in place, cooking/eating paraphernalia ready to go, and since he's got plenty of time and such a good fellow... have us a cold one waiting! cool

Hey Gene, Miles is already at Ed's place, or should be. He posted from Texarkana before daylight this morning and you can walk to Ed's by noon from there.

Anyway, that's a good thing... Miles will have the grass cut and run the weedeater around the house and pavilion, bushhog the pasture, target stands in place, ranges marked off, tables and chairs in place, cooking/eating paraphernalia ready to go, and since he's got plenty of time and such a good fellow... have us a cold one waiting! cool

That Miles is like a good mule.... you can't hitch him up wrong.

That boy can hoe or plow , either one.
Ed I do have one case of water, loaded.
Gordon, that's great. Some other folks are bringing some, too.

Ed
Ed, I will bring plenty of marshamellows, don't worry. My kids will eat through a whole bag in an evening if we let them, so I will just fill up the backseat and every empty corner of the car with some jumbo jetpuffed goodness.
I am on call at the hospital tonight, but should be able to leave at a decent hour tomorrow, pick the kids from school and get on the road. Should be there around 8-830pm the latest. (hopefully closer to 7pm).
Can you make sure the Miles has the dried the ground after the storm? I'd hate to pitch the tent on soft mud and wet grass...
laugh laugh laugh
Can you make sure the Miles has the dried the ground after the storm? I'd hate to pitch the tent on soft mud and wet grass...

Pablo, that is a great idea... Miles dry me out a place too, if you dont mind!

PS- 12' x 15' dry area for tent
Dang...

The second "Ed toomanyletters" event I have missed, somehow the timing just hasn't worked. Maybe the next one.

You folks have a great time and enjoy the hospitality of Ed and his wife and through the fire we get to meet.
Hey anyone coming has a sight drifter? I want to change the sights on a Beretta PX4 to trijicons (which would be placed later)

Dang...made it back to town last night but too far for me now.

The first "Ed toomanyletters" event I have missed, somehow the timing just didn't work. Maybe the next one.

You folks have a great time and enjoy the hospitality of Ed and Barb.

You really should make one Brian.

David, thought of you as I drove through Pecos today
Hi ED,

I'm a good friend of Kevin S. here in Texarkana, TX and he mentioned to me about all this action going on and seems like alot of fun, I've been a 24 campfire member for quite sometime and was wondering would it be ok if I come on Saturday with my Wife and 2 Boys(6yr old and 9month old) if thats ok ? and I would bring what ever you need me to bring, and I plan on bringing my modified AR-15, Ruger Mark 2 pistol, 9MM Karh, and my cheap 20 Gaugeshotgun. If have to many guns please let me know. I hope to see you there.

Jeremy
Pablo, that is a great idea... Miles dry me out a place too, if you dont mind! PS- 12' x 15' dry area for tent

Miles has his 10' x 10' area all dried out. I'm not sure you can get him to move without a large amount of high explosive. grin

The ground IS wet here. We are expecting quite a bit of rain tomorrow, but Saturday and Sunday will be sunny and highs of 88F. Lows in the upper 60's.
Miles and I set up a 20' x 30' tarp extension to the pavilion this afternoon, so we should be comfortable.

Pablo, good to know you have the marshmallow issue handled. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Dang...

The second "Ed toomanyletters" event I have missed, somehow the timing just hasn't worked. Maybe the next one.

You folks have a great time and enjoy the hospitality of Ed and his wife and through the fire we get to meet.

Brian, you are welcome here anytime. I hope you can make the next one. It will be good to see you again.

Ed
Originally Posted by texas1978
Hi ED,

I'm a good friend of Kevin S. here in Texarkana, TX and he mentioned to me about all this action going on and seems like alot of fun, I've been a 24 campfire member for quite sometime and was wondering would it be ok if I come on Saturday with my Wife and 2 Boys(6yr old and 9month old) if thats ok ? and I would bring what ever you need me to bring, and I plan on bringing my modified AR-15, Ruger Mark 2 pistol, 9MM Karh, and my cheap 20 Gaugeshotgun. If have to many guns please let me know. I hope to see you there.

Jeremy

Jeremy, come on and bring your family! We'll start shooting around 09:00 AM, unless someone can't wait. grin Too many guns? What's that?

Ed
Hey anyone coming has a sight drifter? I want to change the sights on a Beretta PX4 to trijicons (which would be placed later)

I can definitely bring a hammer and a punch set. As soon as I start waving it around, Ed will panic and find you the right tool grin

I can definitely bring a hammer and a punch set. As soon as I start waving it around, Ed will panic and find you the right tool grin

LOL...

A ballpeen and a cold chisel would get a quick response...
Originally Posted by texas1978
Hi ED,

Jeremy

Jeremy, come on and bring your family! We'll start shooting around 09:00 AM, unless someone can't wait. grin Too many guns? What's that?

Ed

Great I'll see you guys on Saturday, I hope to make it in time for the 200 Yard Dog Shoot :), maybe someone can give me on some good pointers on where to go Dog hunting.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by bcolorado

LOL...

A ballpeen and a cold chisel would get a quick response...

I have a hammer & punch set and an assortment of cold chisels. grin

Ed
Ed
Trying to get packed and ready to go. Is it raining there?
For those that don't know End and his wife could use some prayers. A tornado has passed through and dropped a tree on his house. Everyone there is ok. We made it a 200 yds from his place and had to turn around because of a tree across the road. Tomorrow has got to be a better day.
Are you serious???
Tried a few cell numbers and they all went to voice mail. Hope that the damage is not serious. Prayers offered.
Does anyone have any info about how folks are doing there or how a guy could help - even from distance?
Talk to Dennis, they were hit, lots of damage to house and some vehicles. No one hurt, no power. I'll start another update thread.

Kent
Prayers on the way for everyone's safety.
Damn! Thundered and lightening here all night. But I'm about 200 miles from Ed.

Hope all are well!!! That sucks big time!!!!!
DUPLICATE POST FROM MUDHEN"S THREAD
Just talked with dennisinaz on his cell phone. No one injured and animals all OK, but it's a mess and main damage seems to be on Ed's home and Curdog's truck. Power is out - no well pump - someone went to Gilmer for water - they all need coffee this morning. Thank goodness the gang is there to help Ed and Barbara with the house and other cleanup.

Dennis said that, as usual, the guys are of great attitude and everyone is pitching in heavily. Clearly not going to be anything like a typical Campfire gathering Saturday, and all of those shooting plans may have been for naught. If you know more - please post. Thanks.
I'm glad to hear that there are no injuries, but saddened to hear of the damage. Give me a call if you need another set of hands.
Of course. We seen a lineman at a station that said there were town east of there without power. KRP has another thread about it.
Well, despite the weather and Mother Nature reminding us all she can get pissed at times... there was still some good old campfire camaraderie....

Here is some of the pics taken of 'better times' on Saturday...

our senior Campfire Statesman from Arkansas:

[Linked Image]

one of our future campfire members from Texas, one of TexCzech's Klan...

[Linked Image]

another of the younger crowd at the range...

[Linked Image]

Randy's Son Waiting to Strut His Stuff on the rifle range..

[Linked Image]

Target Stand Debate:

[Linked Image]

Casper the Friendly Ghost Sighting in and Chronographing Pablo's 243:

[Linked Image]

Randy showing some of the Young'uns which end of the barrel the bullet might come out of...

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_26344.JPG[/img]
Some of Kevin's Klan ( TexCzech) waiting their turn on the 22 LR firing line...

[Linked Image]

In the foreground is Kayden, a kid that sure was easy and real quick to like... pretty mature for a 10 yr old...

Pablo taking over his 243 from Casper:

[Linked Image]

Pablo Close UP.... not bad for a Pediatrician!!

[Linked Image]

Here's also a pretty darn good kid... pretty smart for a 10 yr old and not a bad grandson overall... just ask Ed...
appropriate Texas Kid's and Campfire Member's Name: Hunter

[Linked Image]

Ed, should have made this post sooner, but sometimes life gets in the way. Terri, the kids and I just wanted to thank you, Barbara and Hunter for being such wonderful hosts. You had before the storm and still have a beautiful place that is peaceful. The grandkids didn't make it out of the driveway before asking if we were coming next year. Hopefully next year the weather will be more cooperative. Thank you once again for a great weekend.

Kevin, Terri, and the grandkids
Thank you, Kevin. It's folks like you and your family and the other folks who made this event so great.

Ed
© 24hourcampfire