Originally Posted by Angus1895
First of all I am glad first hand hunting failures are not publicly posted. Second of all this is not a static population using this forum forum for information. Third of all physics,pyhsiology,and ballistics are good things to learn about. Fourth as my wife puts it "Are we trying to humanely harvest animals and recover them fresh enough for human consumption...or hunt in primatve manner"? That cow elk in this thread looks bloated to me. Maybe it is artifact but it looks like it been dead a while.

That photo was taken about 20 minutes or less after the cow fell over. About ten minutes to get to her and a few minutes to get my pack off. The meat was quartered and hung in the shade within one hour of her demise. Just about every one on this forum that knows me,know that I pride myself in quick humane kills and how well I take care of the meat. Of the four big game animals I killed this year,deer, moose,elk,and antelope,all were processed in the field immediately.No animal I have ever killed was ever BLOATED from lack of care or left laying.

The cow was quartering towards me and the POI was on the opposite side at the crease of her shoulder and traveled at an angle taking out one lung and her liver.She ran about 30 yards and piled up.

I posted a photo of the bullet as every one keeps saying the PB's come apart.Proof that they don't.

I had to gut her as she was so full of grass from eating all night and I could not move her myself. As I remember,I killed her at about 7:45 AM.

In addition,maybe it's the newbies that don't know the history,but muzzle loader hunters petitioned the states to give them a primitive weapon season since most states a offered archery seasons. Just becasue a firearm is classified as primitive,does not mean it doesn't kill quickly and humanely.

Here is the same cow less than two hours after her death with the hind quarters being packed back to camp.

[Linked Image]

Here is another smaller cow,PB caused death.Complete pass thru.
That little dot at the shoulder crease was the entry wound.Shot was from about 125 yards. 348 gr PB, 100gr of BP.

[Linked Image]

I can post at least another 15 photos of recent kills that were photographed within 30minutes of the kill that look the same as the cow I posted.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/21/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles