Good morning(it is here anyways), I'm not so much of a forum poster as a lot of people are, but I always like to contribute. I do, however, read a lot, just to see how others have done things, especially when I start a new project. I would say that 95% of my hand loading is done with cast bullets so I have always just been a part of those types of forums. The new rifle I have is going to be fed copper patched bullets so I figured I would share on this site instead of the cast bullet sites. It is, after all, where I have gleaned the most information about this cartridge.

Anyways, I thought I would share my progress in loading for this gun so that there will be just that much more info for others to read later on. Plus, I don't doubt that I will have some questions and I always have an open ear for suggestions.

The gun is a Ruger American Compact stainless. I put a Burris Fullfield E1 3x9x40 on it. I got the gun specifically for hunting the mountains of Colorado, but it will see most of its use here in the hills of NW Arkansas. Short barreled little sucker, and comes in right under 7lbs with the scope on it. Very handy little gun. Same size/weight as my M94 Winchester - except my lever gun does not have a scope.

I almost never buy factory ammo, in fact I cannot remember the last time I did(maybe 10 years ago?), but in this case I figured why not buy some cheap Hornady Whitetail ammo to shoot/sight in with and then have the brass. I was amazed at the ease of getting the gun on target, and in less than 20 rounds I realized I had to extend my range out to 250 yards to see what it could do.

I say all of that to say it shoots VERY well with the Hornady factory stuff. I am averaging 2575 fps with the factory stuff, 10' from the barrel. Its right at MOA out to 250 yards(all I have to shoot at my house). So now that I have 50 rounds shot through it I figured I would start my reloading process for it. I could stick with factory ammo, but I love to reload/shoot way too much.

So, just thought I would share as I go. Hopefully the next guy coming along will be able to use some of it to help him along.