How painless and quick the recovery is can vary a lot. For most it's really no big deal but can turn into a pretty big deal for others.

Mine was not totally painless even with local anesthetic. Wasn't bad at all during the first snip but that changed quick when the Dr. got to digging around, pulling and twisting on stuff inside the second incision. Said he was having trouble finding whatever he was supposed to snip on that side. He yanked on some things in there that caused sharp pains in my lower gut area so intense it dang near brought me up off the table. When the Dr. finally found what he was looking for and snipped it out he showed it to me on his gloved finger tip. Looked like a little piece of elbow macaroni. A few stitches and that part was over.

Did it on a Friday went back to work on Monday. Took about a week or so for the most of the swelling and soreness/tenderness to subside. I did not strain, do anything fast, nor make any abrupt movements involving the lower half of my body during that week either and avoided stairs when possible. No regrets though. If I had it to do over I would do it again.

A coworker had it done and developed complications. His bag turned solid black and swelled up like a balloon the pressure causing him constant pain. He had to go some kind of medications and take off several days more from work.