You better hope that Novocaine or lidocaine works as a pain killer. During my initial talk with the doc I asked what they used for a painkiller and he said lidocaine. I asked if it was basically the same as novocaine and he said similar but much better, and he asked me why I asked. Told him novocaine had absolutely no affect on me and he said not to worry. Well during the procedure he was doing his thing, and I could feel everything that was going on but it wasn't too uncomfortable til he said well we're all done and all I have to do is just cauterize down here. He had his little tray sitting above my chest with his instruments on it and when he went to cauterize, I swear to God, it felt like somebody put a weed burner blow torch on my nuts! I bolted upright, the tray with all his instruments flew across the room and he jumped back with a surprised look on his face saying "you felt that?". I said "your God damned right I did"! He asked me if I had been feeling everything and I told him yeah but it wasn't too uncomfortable. I proceeded to tell him we were done and I'm getting out of here. He said I can't let you leave unfinished and I told him if he tried that again I swear I'd knock his ass out. They ended up having to knock me out to finish the cauterizing. No bad affects afterwards, not a big deal, but you'd better hope that whatever they give you for painkiller works or you'll be performing the quickest sit up you've ever done in your life - and a blow torch on your nuts IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION!