Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There is no 1 for all jacket. There are just too many variables. I have a hooded fleece uninsulated waterproof shell that comes as close as anything. In warmer weather, I wear it over a shirt. As it gets colder, I add whatever is needed under it. It's kind of baggy so I can get a lot on under it. The hood is removable so I use it as needed. When it's really cold, the hood wraps around my face and is a great windbreaker.

I agree with the layering you guys are suggesting. I also have a thin waterproof jacket that is folded up and in my pack most of the time, until it starts getting colder or starts raining or snowing while elk hunting. I like a thinner jacket like this that I can wear about 1/2 the time I'm out actually hunting elk, the other half the time, it's packed away in the pack.
My parka isn't thin. I wear it when I know I'll need it all day because its too bulky to stuff in a pack. What I pack are the layers under it. Mine is heavy fleece with a liner and a waterproof layer between them.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Dick at Owl Creek cropped lr.jpg (78.88 KB, 14 downloads)

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.