Originally Posted by smokepole
Interesting discussion. There are lots of different things that can happen where you'd need to spend a cold night out. Maybe you're chasing a wounded bull cross-country on a moonless night, it turns dark, and your headlamp's not working.

I like to hunt solo. I've never had to spend a night away from camp but there's always a first time. The weight and volume of a puffy jacket is something I'm willing to carry.

These days I very rarely carry the puffy jacket, but for many years, on many hunts I did.
Nothing feels better than down when setting foot on a frosty morning in the dark. I find that comfort lasts about 10 minutes, I get overheated, and then for the rest of the hunt my pack is stuffed full and my visual appearance seems to have doubled in size.
The times when I still would wear down are times when I don't expect the temp to get much above freezing or if I've found some feature where I plan to sit still for a long period. I nearly always would then.
The idea of a 10 oz jacket that compresses into an unnoticed size but still provides warmth suitable for a night afield - I just haven't seen that. My downs are all heavier and bulkier than that and too expensive for that king of compression without a good reason to do so (I've got 3 - a Beretta, a Browning, and a Chinese mountaineering jacket, and none of those were less than $400).
That is not intended to sound like I hike way on the light side because I don't feel I do - it's just different. These days I plan for a change after the first several miles, after I've separated from roads and hunters, and after I've began to sweat. At that point when things change from hiking to hunting I'll strip off a stinky sweaty long sleeved base layer hoodie, seal it in a gallon ziplock, wash off my sweat, and change to a clean dry base layer that I had removed from that bag. I feel like that keeps my pack lighter and better reduces my odor. If I get into trouble later that day the contents of that bag are still available as an extra layer. I use some other layers of course. The next heaviest thing that I have to down is a Sitka windstopper pile that is very warm - usually too warm - and it tends to be another garment that is a little too much for the typical weather here.