Agree with what others have said. I use heavy 3 in 1 jackets from Columbia and Cabelas for stand and waterfowl hunting but for Elk it is layering all the way.

Outer wool or rain/wind soft shell then light weight down or synthetic hooded sweater or parka then down vest and wool shirt or hoodie and maybe a base layer if it is really cold.
Worst case all the outer wear can be rolled up and go on the outside straps of the pack. I believe in being prepared for the worst case but with a good fire you could stay over in pretty cold conditions. I also like that leaving room in the pack for the layering keeps me from loading it down with other stuff too much.

The few times I wore one of the heavy 3 in 1 jackets it was an absolute pleasure for about 30 minutes and then the first hill I could not get out of it fast enough.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/17/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli