Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
There are a couple of ways you could go with it: A warm jacket you can wear for 25 years and stay warm in, and a newer-technology jacket that is great for hiking around, water-resistant, versatile.

Good quality wool will keep you warm, is very durable, breathes well, is water-resistant, insulates when wet. It's also heavy and bulky.

Something like the Kuiu Guide jacket is fairly warm, water-resistant, very functional and versatile, lightweight and pack-able, but won't last nearly as long as a good wool coat. I certainly wouldn't expect 25 years out of it.

Absolutely! I picked up the Kuiu shell jacket during one of their sales, got it a size or two larger, and it is absolutely waterproof and extremely light weight. Beneath that I also can wear everything from a flannel or safari-type shirt to a sweat shirt to a full Filson wool jacket or even down if one prefers. The camp pattern is superb too.

The Filson jacket will last forever (assuming that you do not grow out of it) but the Kuiu stuff of special waterproof fabric will wear out. It is a relatively new proprietary fabric made by Toray in Japan. Nonetheless, it is worth every penny while it lasts even though it won't take really rough, Alaskan-type working through the alders and brambles.

I used the Kuiu jacket in three days of rain last weekend in New Mexico camping, and it was perfect for that even though I stayed mostly around the campfire trading stories. At my age, that was fine. grin

Last edited by Anjin; 08/06/17.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).