Originally Posted by Shifty98
I understand layering. The sanctuary jacket was what I was looking at before seeking advice on here.
Right now I have both the heavy classic Carhartt and the hooded lighter one. Both with the canvas exterior and quilted interior.
Do you are suggesting a shell type jacket?
Is that basically a rain jacket type exterior with a sort of insulation inside it but is intended to be worn with a insulation heavy mid layer that is not water/wind proof?

I think we've found our problem: a cotton canvas jacket. In the mountains, we say, "Cotton kills." It absorbs water instead of letting it evaporate or wicking it away from your skin. Then the water gets cold, then you get cold. Get a down jacket for your insulating layer. You'll be astonished at the difference it makes. Even a cheap department-store one will do a good job, and you should be able to find one for under $100 this time of year. Get a thick one, not one of the little thin ones that soccer moms wear to drive their minivans. It won't weigh much, and you'll be able to roll it up in to a little ball in your pack.

I am NOT a big fan of Filson gear. It's OK for wearing to work and stuff like that, but it's literally 19th century technology and there are far better choices. I live in Seattle and I drive past their store on my way to work every day. My hunting partners and I hunted in Filson for close to 10 years and we've stopped. The wool stuff is very heavy, even when it's dry. It gets heavier when it's wet, and takes forever to dry. Tin Cloth is also heavy, plus it's noisy and does not breathe. It's OK if you're sitting still, but as soon as you start to move and sweat a little, you're gonna get wet and stay wet. We now use GoreTex shells with fleece insulation for wet weather and down insulation for dry cold weather. If I hunt from a boat and can take a ton of heavy stuff, then I'll bring a wool Filson for sitting around the fire at night, but any serious hunting happens in fleece, down, and/or GoreTex.

I'd avoid the REI jacket with the reflective stuff for hunting. PM me your address and I'll send you my old North Face Guide's Jacket. It will be a big step in the right direction for you.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.