Originally Posted by Shifty98
So here's what I think I'm hearing.
Buy good puffy insulated and warm mid layer. May just keeping current mid layer non waterproof hunting coat.
Buy good shell jacket that is waterproof but certainly separate from insulated mid layer.
Does anyone have specific examples of jackets for each category or pictures?

You are on the right track, IMO.

I wear M, but over 12 years ago bought a Sportsman's Warehouse "Mad Dog"?? "breathable-waterproof" jacket or light parka in L (going on a 18 mile in back pack hunt- needed something to carry the Dachshund in as needed.... smile . I've found this kind of stuff is best used in light conditions, stationery, for a wind guard, or below freezing conditions.

In wet, nasty-windy conditions, I wear real, non-breathable rain gear. You are going to get wet either way, so you might as well be warm and wet, with a less heavy (once wet) outer layer.

Be advised "breathable" rain gear has not met the hype for harsh or prolonged conditions in my experience, and it takes considerable care to make it even close. After every washing, one needs to renew the outer "water-proofing". by Scotchgarding or similar, which will theoretically keep outside moisture from reaching the "vapor" membrane, which does pass water in both directions. And under moderate or heavy exertion, the "breathable" can't keep up. I haven't tried the renewal washing formulas, so can't comment if those work as advertised. Breathable stuff has it's place tho.

My L sized light parka is a little sloppy when worn alone, but I can and do layer underneath it with down or synthetic jackets, of different weights, and/or insulated coveralls respective to anticipated conditions. Has lots of pockets, tho, and that is helpful. I wear it a lot, down to somewhat below zero conditions on the snow machine, with an even older Cabelas down jacket underneath, with possibly insulated coveralls even under that, depending on wind and temp. If I kill, I can peel layers for the dressing out or other exertion.

The down jacket packs up small if I don't need it, but loses insulating value if wet, so mostly I wear that combination in below freezing conditions, substituting synthetic fleece in above freezing, wetter conditions which are not too severe.

As to camo, as said. Only birds and fish see colors, besides humans (and maybe other primates?). Mine is most useful to designate hunting-only, scent and UV killed clothing. Motion, sound, and scent are more important, and if you can break up your outline behind or in front of a bush, rock, or tree, camo becomes superfluous. Often even without breaking up the outline, if one is motionless, quiet, and down or cross-wind, the animal just won't twig.

Last edited by las; 07/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.