Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
[Linked Image]PA130001 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Originally Posted by szihn
The old Remington CLs from the 60s and 70s were outstanding, in the examples I have used. However I have used their 100 grain 257 10 years ago and found it to be nothing more than a varmint bullets with extremely poor penetration on Antelope does.

Remington really dropped the ball when they stopped selling all their bullets on the hand-loaders market in my opinion. Here is a picture of a 150 grain 270 CL bullet purchased about 1972 next to a new 8MM 200 grain Speer bullet. As you can see the old CL has about 1/2 of it's diameter from jacket and 1/2 from core. In my opinion, all big game bullets should have thick jackets on their shanks with the ogive being drawn thinner and thinner towards the nose.

I'm curious if the lead core of those two bullets are of equal hardness/toughness. If, for instance, the Speer has a tougher lead core, then that could compensate to a degree for a thinner jacket.

Scenars have a thin jacket. but are tougher than Bergers, kill with authority.

Check out Pat (Scenarshooter) and the list of photos of Scenar killed critters he's posted over the years. (Hope he wasn't using Photobucket).

So, the hardness of the alloy is a big deal.

DF