Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Mjduct

By moving from traditional old tech bulllets to copper solids in these versatile middle calibers to I risk punching clear through smaller deer becaue the Bullets are too tough? .

Don't we risk punching clear through smaller deer with any bullet? Why is that a problem?

I prefer 2 holes for blood exiting, but I'd also like the bullet to expand and deposit some energy in the animal, cause some additional tissue damage and put it down more efficiently.

SSTs will definitely do that!

I'm using 150 SuperPerformance SST in my .30-06 on caribou. (Going to try GMX this season, just for grins)

Factory Corelokts (which I was using for caribou before switching to SP for flatter trajectory) and Interlocks are fine also. Premiums for deer are a needless expense. Premiums for most shots at any game are a needless expense in most cases, IMO, but that's just me.

The two places I will still consider a premiumin my own shooting life is if it shoots significantly better than C&C in that rifle, or if the caliber is a bit on the light side for intended game. For example, a .260 on moose or elk, tho that 140 Corelokt did a DRT on the only elk I have ever shot, and I'd use it in a heartbeat with no worries on a moose. And hope to.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.