I do not intend to start a brawl. I love the .30-06 and have owned one since 1984. I'm considering buying a .308, so I don't have anything against it either.

The question remains, if buying a rifle today, is there any significant reason to choose one over the other?

I'm considering replacing my .30-06. It is an inconsistent performer and I'm a little tired of jacking around with it. It is a mid-'80s vintage rifle. The rifle is pretty much dedicated to elk hunting. I use my .243 for pretty much everything smaller. The intent is to move to one of the dependably accurate modern platforms. I primarily shoot factory ammo these days. My .30-06 elk load is a 150 grain mono.

My thought regarding the .308/.30-06 question is why not consider moving to a different, yet still readily available, elk cartridge when I get a new rifle?

.308 factory loads launch 165s at 2700-2800 so I have no concern about my ability to kill elk with a .308. The .308 is known as an inherently accurate cartridge, but is it significantly more accurate than the .30-06? I do I like printing small groups and hitting 10" gongs out to 550 yards.

I know the .308 recoils a bit less and rifles chambered for it are slightly shorter and lighter. I recognize that as a small advantage, but was never bothered by the length, weight, recoil or bolt throw of my .30-06. There is some .30-06 sunk cost as I have about 270 rounds of .30-06 ammo (some of which my current -06 does not shoot well) and reloading dies, though as I mentioned previously, I primarily shoot factory ammo these days.

Thanks in advance,
Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 08/28/17.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein