Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Brad

Handloaded, I think the 30-06 handles 180 and 200 grain bullets better than the 308, but even a 180 at 2,630 from a 308 is nothing to sneeze at...

Brad comes close to being our 308 expert and he says the 06 handles the 180s better.

Jerry

Yes, the 30-06 handles 180's "better" than the 308 (i.e., 150 fps faster).

BUT, a 300 WSM handles 180's "better" than a 30-06 (i.e., 150 fps faster).

And so on into pointlessness.

The larger point in CONTEXT is/was 2,630 (or whatever) fps is "plenty" with a 180. I defy anyone to show that somehow an additional 150 fps will make a meaningful difference at "normal" hunting ranges. As long as a bullet has enough velocity to open, it will work just fine.

*PS* I am no "expert", despite having taken nearly equal amounts of game with both the 30-06 and 308. And unlike some who seem unable to not have an opinion about everything and anything, I try to limit my comments to things I have personal experience with, and sit back quietly and learn from others in areas I have no experience. It's a practice that has served me well in life.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery