Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I do not intend to start a brawl. I love the .30-06 and have owned one since 1984. I'm considering buying a .308, so I don't have anything against it either.

The question remains, if buying a rifle today, is there any significant reason to choose one over the other?

I'm considering replacing my .30-06. It is an inconsistent performer and I'm a little tired of jacking around with it. It is a mid-'80s vintage rifle. The rifle is pretty much dedicated to elk hunting. I use my .243 for pretty much everything smaller. The intent is to move to one of the dependably accurate modern platforms. I primarily shoot factory ammo these days. My .30-06 elk load is a 150 grain mono.

My thought regarding the .308/.30-06 question is why not consider moving to a different, yet still readily available, elk cartridge when I get a new rifle?

.308 factory loads launch 165s at 2700-2800 so I have no concern about my ability to kill elk with a .308. The .308 is known as an inherently accurate cartridge, but is it significantly more accurate than the .30-06? I do I like printing small groups and hitting 10" gongs out to 550 yards.

I know the .308 recoils a bit less and rifles chambered for it are slightly shorter and lighter. I recognize that as a small advantage, but was never bothered by the length, weight, recoil or bolt throw of my .30-06. There is some .30-06 sunk cost as I have about 270 rounds of .30-06 ammo (some of which my current -06 does not shoot well) and reloading dies, though as I mentioned previously, I primarily shoot factory ammo these days.

Thanks in advance,
Expat
......................................... Imo, your dilemma here is more emotional rather than paper ballistics. However, if you foresee using heavier 200/220 grain bullets, doing so favors the '06. Across the board, group accuracy from the bench may favor the 308 a bit but not by much. You also need to determine what your personal rifle preferences really are. If you prefer a shorter action and lighter rifle then go with the 308. But! If your heart really favors the '06 then you stay with it. Between these two, the game you hunt won't know the difference.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger