Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Blackheart,

Actually, no.

I spend considerable time observing hundreds of other people shooting, not just at the range but in the field. Which is exactly why I can make observations about how other people react to recoil, and other factors, not just my own reactions.

I've spent over 40 years being a professional journalist, which means observing and analyzing not just my personal experiences, but those of others. Your posts are always about your own experiences. This doesn't mean they're invalid, but does mean they're only valid to one person among the over 7 billion humans on earth.

Your personnel experience are very much in line with reality and the science that supports it, a wealth of good accurate information and an easy read.

The decision between a 308W and a 30-06 should be based on platform, terrain, species hunted, and personal likes.

In BC, given the choice, I would always pick the 30-06 over the 308W. The 30-06 as the ability to launch 200gr NAB's ~ 2700ft/s, QL predicts pressure to be just north of 60k with H-414 or RL-17, this bullet has the on game performance of a 250gr medium (33,35,36 cal). It is accurate enough to slam steel (16"x16") at 550yards from a rest, recoil is lighter than the mediums as well.

Hunt mainly moose, b-bear and deer the 308W is surely capable but the big bullet in the 30-06 will 'mentally' reduce the pucker factor before/when G-bear and big B-bear are encountered close up and is 500+yds capable.

As far as accuracy is concerned a mechanically sound rifle , reliable scope 'think tracking and ability to hold zero', impeccable handloads will produce the accuracy required for reliable hits......is the 308W more accurate?....doesn't matter in a hunting scenario. The off the shelf Finnlite I have has put 3 into <8" at 1000 yards as an example of accuracy.