I loved my 308's, my last one went on a trade for a benchrest rifle. I regret letting it go. It did everything I needed from elk to woodchuck in a small compact cartridge. I've owned 3 30-06's . Two have gone down the road, the other was my father's only big game rifle so it's with me till my son's inherit it. My take , they are the same. And if I was to only own one of them it would be the '06 because of its ability to handle the heavy bullets for big bear(which I will almost assuredly never hunt). I have other rifles to handle the lighter work(260,swede, 6mm) and always have the old man's gun if I need more horsepower. But to be honest even though I'm a pretty big guy I don't really like heavy recoil, and after many kills on deer and some elk see no need. My 308 had a hogue overmolded stock and the recoil pad on the stock made the shock nearly non existent. If I were you I'd get a 308 to try something new, it's fun to experiment with new rifles and reloading. My gun cabinet has a revolving door on it for just that reason.

God bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi