battue, I like your "designer wound channel" post and that is exactly what I'm looking for. You wouldn't for instance find Remington loading that round nose Core-Lokt with all the lead exposed into a .300 Winchester Magnum, but it is an outstanding deer bullet out of a .308 or a .30-06. Conversely I'm not going to find a Berger VLD boat tail loaded for my .300 Savage. I think why the .30-30 got as good a reputation as it did is because the ammunition companies could tailor that bullet specifically for the .30-30 as a deer cartridge. If you loaded that same .30-30 bullet into a .300 WM case at 1,000 fps faster, you would have a bomb. I suspect that is exactly why the .257 diameter bullets fared so well in that Cedar Knoll study. The ammunition companies could tailer those bullets specificity to a much narrower range of cartridges intended for deer size animals, namely the .257 Roberts, .25-06 and probably a few .257 Weatherby Magnums. Now look at the .308 diameter stuff. Everything from the .300 Savage up to the .30 Nosler or what ever is fastest today. To my way of thinking the ammo companies have a lot harder time designing a bullet that will work well across a wide velocity range of the medium to large cases, medium to large animals and close to far distances.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory