CrowRifle,

Yep, shooting through an animal that far is always interesting! And often surprising.

Have recovered quite a few bullets at the opposite end of the animal, but perhaps the most memorable was a 140-grain Nosler Partition from a 7x57 Mauser that entered a mule deer buck that was facing me in lodgepole pine timber. I aimed at the base of the "dimple" at the bottom of the neck, between the shoulders, and the buck went right down. I couldn't find an exit hole, and couldn't find the bullet while field-dressing, though I did trace the wound channel through the diaphrarm, so assumed it ended up somewhere in the guts. Poked through them but didn't find it.

A few months later I was eating a round steak from the buck, and bit down on what I thought at first was a piece of bone. It turned out to be the expanded Partitions. When my wife and I butchered the buck, we managed to slice that steak on either side of the bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck