Originally Posted by Fischer
So much parsing out ballistics and creating scenarios that level the playing field. The problem is that the playing field is not level. If you can't build a 270 Wby rhat can break 3500 with 130s, something is wrong. I chrono every handload and factory load that goes in every firearm I shoot, including 270 Wins in a couple barrel lengths. Even my old 24" 270 mag Vanguard breaks 3400 with 130s. My 270 win Vanguard never got anywhere near that, with it's 24" barrel.

I have most of the popular reloading manuals published since WWII, and I can't find any that advertise much over 3450fps with 130's in the 270Wby, and those manuals tend to be, ah, optimistic with most rifles.............The majority of the manuals list the 130's around 3300fps max.
The best pressure barrel the average guy has is his chronograph. If he's running over max listed velocities, odds are good he's over max pressure.

Originally Posted by Fischer
All the cherry picking and skewing stats doesn't change the facts. Build a 26" 270 Win that can run with the Wby and we can have a discussion.

No, a 270W will not come within 200fps of a 270Wby, but the difference in trajectory at reasonable ranges one can expect to make a good shot in the field is a few inches. Then again, that's true with most bottleneck cartridges using current powders............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.