I hunted exclusively with a 270 Win from 1976 to 1999, before that it was a sporterized Mauser. That 270 was a Ruger M77 tang safety, paid something like $139 for it brand new. I hand loaded for it from day one and took truckloads of game with it. I gave each of my sons and one of my stepsons a 270 Win (including that rifle) when they came of age - I hold the cartridge in very high regard and I'm well aware of the 270 Win's capabilities. I transitioned to a 30-06 in the '90s and still hunt with that rifle. I found it to be a somewhat more effective killer than the 270. If forced to hunt with only one cartridge for the rest of my life, that would probably be it. I still carry it to the woods for deer and hog. The round is immortal, as far as I'm concerned. I also hunt with a 45-70 sometimes and it is an absolute hammer. The Weatherby is a fine bean field and R.O.W rifle and dandy for out west. But it will kill up close too, if you happen to have it on you. I've dropped a number of deer at woods ranges with it. I hand load and chrono for everything I shoot. So, I think I'm pretty well rounded, cartridge wise and fairly open minded. The 270 Win will never catch the Weatherby, nor will the WSM. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan, of the Win at least.

Optimistic load data...I'll point you to the Nosler load data site, which is my preferred source, as I primarily use their bullets. I have found their published velocities, at least for the powders I work with, to be on the money or conservative. I never fail to meet or beat them in the Mark V by staying within SAAMI specs or only very slightly exceeding published charges. However that practice is usually detrimental to accuracy. Using the max load 73.0 gr RL22 load, I get 3537 avg fps in my fire formed and neck sized brass, with great accuracy. That's 80 fps better than their numbers. I don't think they're being optimistic at all; quite the opposite. I'll say this, I think the Weatherby Mark V may have a somewhat better barrel than a lot of other rifles. I also think rifles chambered in a Wby cartridge ought to have 26" barrels. Maybe the same for most other magnum rounds.

Their top load for the 130 gr 270 Win is 3158 from a 24" Shilen barrel. The 150 gr bullet gets a top speed of 2913. Pretty good but still 300 fps behind the Wby. Let's assume you can beat the Nosler book velocities proportionally with the Win, like with the Wby. Still 300 fps behind. Factory Weatherby 130s go 3565 over my chrono. Barnes load data on the other hand I have found to be extremely optimistic in every Weatherby rifle I have tried a Barnes bullet in. So I guess, if you look hard enough, you can find load data that doesn't live up to published velocities.

Referring to my ballistics program, I see that I chrono'd factory Weatherby 150gr NPT at 3254 fps. In my notes, I see I got a 140 AB running 3318 in front of some N560, the published velocity was 3190. I did exceed the max charge by 1 grain but the Mark V action did not notice. The fact that 270 Wby is a great cartridge does not mean that the 270 Win, WSM, 30-06 or (insert your favorite cartridge here) is not. But it is faster...

Somebody mentioned a 9 lb rifle - I'm carrying the ULW, comes in under 8 lbs scoped and loaded. Not the lightest but honestly, if I can't hump a 9 lb rifle around, I should take up golf or maybe enter a spelling bee. I did carry my Wby in elk country this year, up to 10,000' on foot. Most of the time, I hardly noticed it. 90% of the time, it was in my hand. I'll admit that I trained brutally hard for that hunt. Unfortunately, a few days in, my wife became gravely ill and I had to get her home asap. I'll be back next year though with the same rifle.

Last edited by Fischer; 11/12/17.