comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum, which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

Ziggy - I agree. How long ago was it that men (and some women) carried 8 & 9 lb rifles all over the place and never whined about it? I do have one lightweight rifle and enjoy carrying it, but I sure as Hell don't feel sorry for myself when I'm humping around a full sized rifle.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.