Originally Posted by Fischer
I reload too, have been since the early 1970s. More for precision than cost, but the cost is certainly a benefit and 95% or more of my shooting is with reloads. I have some rifles that I've never put a factory round through. But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost. I'll buy it if it's the best solution and I've got to say, Weatherby factory ammo is awful hard to equal.

I have to disagree with "But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost." when I purchased a rifle for a wedding gift for my first son-in-law, my daughter asked me if he would be able to afford to shoot it. My response was "Don't worry, it's a .30-06." The point is that what is "negligible" to some is serious money to others.

When Daughter #1 needed a rifle we got her a .308 Win. She is a petite lady who shoots 130g TTSX for everything she hunts and doesn't like the recoil of full-power 150's. A .270 WBY would be inappropriate for her regardless of ammo costs. While the .270 WBY is a good cartridge, it is no panacea. There are lots of good cartridges, each with its own unique attributes. What is best for one is often a poor choice for another.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.