Originally Posted by ChetAF
Originally Posted by OdT
The recent Leupold hate is hard to fathom. I have filled several freezers with meat and have a shelf of silhouette trophies that I earned using their scopes. No failures ever in a few dozen of their scopes, over 4+ decades. Is this all very recent production?

I don’t mean to discount anyone’s personal experiences, but it’s difficult to match up based on my own.

As a long time Leupold fan myself, I used to have an almost religious sort of respect for their products until about 2006. That is when I first saw the problems start. A couple of my friends, who are very well respected high end rifle makers noticed the same problems about the same time. At first, I really didn't want to believe it and plodded along as any good choir boy will do. Then, between 2009 and 2013 or so I had five of seven new Leupold's have problems retaining point of impact. Four were VX-III's and one was the much touted FX-II 6x36, which gave up the ghost during a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. When I shot the sheep at about 350 yards, I noticed the bullet impact was about 6" to the left of where it should have been in dead calm conditions. Sure enough, when I got home the POI had shifted about 1.5" left of where it was when I left for Alaska and the turret had a weird crunchy feel when you turned it.

At one point, I had three Leupold variables lose POI on a 300 Wby over the course of about two months. This was handy, as it saved me on postage when I crammed them all in one flat rate box to send in for service. It did cost me a lot of expensive ammunition though.

Nowadays, I pretty much stick with NF, Schmidt & Bender, SWFA SS, and if I need to go light, older Leupold M8's. I do have a newer Burris Fullfield II that has been holding up well to 300 mag recoil. Can't say it's a scope I would put on a nice custom, as it is pretty grim in the looks department, but it has been pretty tough so far.

Savvy. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I would move on too, if I had the same experiences.

This thread explains some of what I am missing. The first being that I don’t shoot past 550 yards much, so this variable may have went undetected by me. The second being that those scope leveling gadgets have always struck me as a sales gimmick, so I’ve never used one. Now I see that many people take them seriously, so it probably matters to them that things are indexed precisely. (Several silhouette shooters intentionally cant their scopes a lot more than 3°, with plenty of success). The last being that I only have one new Leupold. A new CDS scope, that seems to be working correctly so far. The custom knob arrived from Leupold yesterday, and load testing is getting dialed in, as of this afternoon. The next step is to start stretching out. Wish me luck.

With regards to getting attention from Leupold, if it gets serious enough to anyone here, you can always use the Oregon state attorney general. It will get their attention. I wouldn’t over a rifle scope, but I might if half the stuff happened to me that has happened to the folks typing here.