Yes The FFP subtenssions are the same at every magnification, so they will measure the angle accurately at any magnification - allowing for accurate ranging at any magnification But with your 10x variable SFP which is accurate only at 10x the easy way to range is like this- a 1 meter target ie the ground to the belly or withers or length of belly line etc etc whatever your reference points given your game, you simply zoom in until you match that to 1 mil- check your magnification that’s your range- dial in your dope for that range, hold for wind and shoot. Same way you would use 2 Mils for a 2 meter target. Like a guy. I know you know what I’m talking about with this method, or will be surprised to find out you haven’t.

Edit. You aren’t going to hit a 1 moa Target first shot using that method to range it necessarily I won’t try to argue that it is precise But no methods based on a presumed size of a target are. I will not argue that an sfp mil reticle calibrated at 10x is the most useful configuration, but i have used it enough to know how effective and useful and fast it is in the field. No guess no lie.

Edit: just a brief expansion on what I’m talking about- with a vairiable ffp your Mils are always a mil, so you can alwys count how many Mils your target subtends, and convert to meters. With a sfp variable calibrated at 10x your magnification tells you what percentage of the way you are to 1000 meters. Just expanding your use of the metric system and your scope (protractor) as a slide rule.

Edit: this only works with an sfp reticle calibrated at 10x and I note that made no mention of that in my initial post- probably the source of confusion.

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/20/17.