I don't think it's so much that Leupold scopes or even others in the same price range are any worse than they ever were. The glass quality is actually a lot better and I suspect that adjustments are just as good and possibly slightly better. I just think that with communication being what it is today shooters are experimenting more with long range and dialing and these scopes just aren't up to the task.

For someone who sights the rifle in at 100 yards and then doesn't shoot it again until it's at a deer that is likely at very close range the scopes work fine. It doesn't even matter if they are off a couple inches from shot to shot because it's still well within hunting accuracy. Then when they go back to sight in again if it's off a small amount it's attributed to different ammo,or a shift in the rifle stock. It really doesn't matter. The point I'm trying to make is that I think that the vast majority of hunters and shooters aren't demanding precision. For those few who are you are seeing complaints about the products the rest use and think are great. The only thing that's different is communication. Today those few seem like a lot because of the ability to voice their complaints and be heard.