"I still think a convicted felon should have to apply for a pardon from his/her Governor to get his/her gun or voting rights back. Losing these rights is part of the game you play."

I don't think that would work. There would be so many applications that the Governor's office would be swamped. Here in Arizona, a felon once he/she has completed their sentence including parole can apply to the court that convicted them for restoration of ALL civil rights. It's done by court order. The judge is the one most familiar with the case so would be the most qualified to make the decision.

I also think there should be a strong three strikes law.

First offense: The judge has discretion on probation, jail time. Certain felonies exempt and full sentencing requiried. (Murder, Manslaughter rape ect.)

Second offense: Standard sentence doubled. No parole, no probation and no early out.

Third offense: Mandatory death penalty. Repeat offenders are a cancer on society. If you had a cancerous tumor you would be hoping the doctor would be removing it in one hell of a hurry. Maybe bringing back public executions just might be the deterrent needed.

Hell! What do I know? I'm just a grumpy 80 YO man that's sick and tired of seeing bad guys turned loose early, especially when some of them should be swinging from a gallows.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE