Growing up I always thought that they were misshapen and ugly verses say a Winchester M88, but then I bought that '56 99F .300 Savage for the kid at a gun show and can understand what I'd been missing all these years. The kid doesn't hunt, so it is my back up rifle, but kind of a travesty that it doesn't get out more. I put a low mounted mat finish Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 with the heavy duplex on it and it points like an extension of my arm. I'm trying to bestow it onto one of the stepsons, but they don't understand how nice it is. The 99 was certainly way ahead of it's time. I was talking with a collector and he said that when the 99's came out, it was the ranch hands that were buying the M94's and that the ranch owners were buying the M99's. It sure carries better than my custom bolt action. Once upon a time I wrote down my perimeters of what ballistics would make the ideal whitetail cartridge for the way that I hunt deer. Then I compared those numbers to a list of cartridges and came up with the .30-40 Kraig and .300 Savage as being about perfect ballistic wise. More than a .30-30 with less recoil than a .308. I am glad to see so many .300 Savage aficionados on the campfire.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory