In early '81 I picked up a used 99C(.308) in a trade. It shot two types of factory ammo very poorly. I kept studying it and saw that the fore-end was putting quite a bit of upward pressure on the barrel. I kept adding washers to the fore-end "stud" aka forearm hanger/sanding the channel too until I got the forearm free floating. It was a tack driver then, especially with the "then new" Frontier ammo (loaded with the Hornady 150 IL)! Trigger was pretty nice too. Shot so well I never loaded for it, and back then all I used was a Lee Loader/RCBS scale. I put one of the first Leupold M8 (?) 2.5 fixed power on it. I hunted with it a few times, never got a kill. I then traded it off for some cash and a new RCBS RockChucker loading kit. Still use it too, in fact its the only press I've ever owned! I had other rifles back then and the 99c was just a project. It was one of "those" I wish I still had. ha. Out here in Utah, you can still find a lot of old 99s, mostly in 300 Savage, in pawn shops/gun stores. I always keep my eye out for another nice 99c though. I too was raised with the M94 and the 99 "looked weird, but when shouldered....oh how sweet it is! ( said with Jacky Gleason voiceover, ha)

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/25/18.