Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by shaman

[Linked Image]

This model is called the DL, and is often marked 99M on the receiver. The M stands for Monte Carlo, or the raised comb on the rear stock. That's my favorite hunting model 99, but I prefer the earlier ones (1960-64) with the cut checkering rather than the later stamped. The hardest one of those to get would the the 1964 (one year only) 99DL in 284 with the cut checkering. It took me many years to find one and I know of only two or three.

The comb on the DL gives good scope alignment. This model was available in 22" and 24" barrels depending on year. I prefer 22" models. Savage made a DL called the PE that had super high grade wood and engraved receivers that is gorgeous, if that's your thing.

Yes, you pegged that one to at 'T.' Mine came with a knot in the wood and the finish told me it must have been out in the rain a little too often. Still, it fit like a glove, when I scoped it, it came right up to my eye, and all the imperfections meant I could hunt it hard and not have to worry about ruining anything. That's how I like my deer rifles.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer