Originally Posted by BC30cal
Jeff;
Thanks again for the kind words, I do appreciate them and will endeavor to deserve them in future posts.

In the other thread I believe it was jaguartx who mentioned buckshot to try on a pine tree - and honestly Jeff we've shot about every inanimate object one should and sometimes should not shoot with all sorts of long arms.

When it comes to bears, I'll take something which gives me the best chance of 2' minimum of penetration.

I very vividly recall talking to a BC provincial biologist who'd quit carrying a shotgun for a Model 70 in '06 loaded with 200gr Partitions. While he wouldn't go into details on what had gone on in his personal rodeo with no pay window, he was very anti buckshot when it came to stopping black bears who'd decided to get the ball rolling so to speak.

Our own Klikitarik posted a photo of a Brenneke slug out of a nuisance grizzly he'd had to shoot and if I recall correctly, he was underwhelmed with it.

Honestly if I could find some of the Latvian made Duplex slugs which are solid steel, I'd use them in a heartbeat, but so far they're not coming across the medicine line, so we make do with what we can find.

I'd not argue with anyone who preferred a rifle with a decent bullet either, but I've a lifetime of pump shotgun use - bought my first one 42 years ago - so the muscle memory is strong with me and pump guns and without going into too many details, I know I can run either a pump gun or a bolt rifle with reasonable proficiency in dicey situations.

The sound of the angry sow is spot on, though the one I spoke of also clacked her teeth together - which was incredibly loud even at 30-50 yards. It surely gets one's undivided attention anyway Jeff! wink

Thanks again and all the best to you folks as you migrate north.

Dwayne

The video you have can see one clicking at the start. Didn't pay attention if it was the same one. The roar kind of thing was what I was trying to get Carolyn to hear. MAD. OTOH I've spoken with our mentor in AK that has had a grizz, wounded, come at him without a sound IIRC but he was good enough, though it cost him 17 stitches IIRC.

When we don't feel like other things, its going to be Glock in 10mm with 16 rounds plus a mag somewhere handy-ish. 200 grain hard cast. Carolyn handles it fairly well and while I prefer to think of her not ever missing, 16 rounds should allow for a few oops, and hopefully still have rounds remaining if there is contact where the gun can be pressed against and pulled until empty. Past that I generally carry a 338-06 as all around, and she will be carrying a 50 beowulf with a full mag of 400 grain hard casts. Unless I pawn the 458 win mag off on her. LOL

There is never a fly on someone like you thats used to a certain gun though. And not sure why steel slugs would be non allowed in Canada if so, I believe they make mono copper ones which should be the next best.

Tis a tiny chance, depending on route and timing, that I might communicate before leaving next spring assuming it all works out like we are planning for me at least. I believe most all of our relatives are deceased at this point, but even a fair detour would be worth a hearty handshake!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....