Originally Posted by BC30cal

Made up one for our eldest daughter to take along when she and her husband go tenting here in rural BC.
[Linked Image]

Have a donor in the safe which her husband and I are making into something for him to practice with too.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Thanks for posting this video and starting the thread. I've been waaaay too busy with real life its ownself for the past 6-8 months to spend much time here on the 'Fire, but it's nice to start catching up with such excellent threads as this one.

I like your shotgun choices. I'd be happy to carry any of those in the Canadian bear woods.

As you may recall, I've posted before that I spent a lot of time backpacking in Alberta's bear country in the 43 years I spent there prior to fleeing the collapse of the Canadian healthcare system. Most of that time was in areas one can't carry or use a firearm, mostly the mountain national and provincial parks. I had dozens of bear encounters in those years, at ranges from 50 yards down to bad-breath distance. None of those was violent in any way, and I'm thankful I had good training/education in bear behavior and avoidance of bear attacks so that they were all benign situations. But I have to say that as the numbers of bears increased in the 80's and 90's, as hunting pressure on bears was scaled back by Alberta's Fish & Wildlife Division, I noticed bears were a lot more willing to get close to humans, and I stopped hiking in the mountain parks and started hiking and fishing on Crown lands where I could go armed.

When I was able to carry a firestick, I carried a Model 12 pump gun loaded with C.I.L. 1-oz. slugs. I did so because that's what I was trained in using back when I was doing bear biology work as an undergraduate at UofC, working with Fish & Wildlife. (This was back before they invented dinosaurs, you understand.) I took the shotgun slug course from F&W back then, and felt (and still feel) that a 12-ga. slug is sufficient bear medicine for anyone. I know a lot of fellers believe in the power of a handgun for bear defense, but having been up close and personal with bruins many times, I have less faith in a handgun than most guys seem to have. That being said, I do carry a sidearm in the bear woods now that I live and hunt in the Lower 48, but it's definitely an item of last resort. But as Phil Shoemaker proved a couple years ago, a fellow who knows how to use it effectively can kill an attacking bear with a 9mm pistol. Not that Phil didn't wish he had something bigger in his hands at the time, as I recall him writing...

Anyways, I carried my old pump shotgun for bear defense. I rigged my Model 12 with a sling like yours, pulled the plug out of the magazine so it would hold 5 rounds of slug, and carried it at all times in bear country. I slung it muzzle down on my left shoulder for rapid deployment in an emergency when on the trail (I learned that trick from a Finn Aagard article, tried it, and found it was much faster than slinging the rifle over my dominant shoulder. I slung it muzzle-up across my chest while flyfishing... this does interfere with one's casting, I admit, but one learns to deal with it.

I did fire a warning shot on what I believe was a predatory black bear, one time. This was in the late 80's in the Swan Hills, which is a country lousy with bears (both black and griz) then and now. I put a slug into the dirt between the bear's front paws at a range of about 30 yards, and it swapped ends and didn't bother me further. That was the one and only time I used it in any manner of bear encounter, but if I hadn't had it to use that day, I expect I'd have been reported missing and my bones might never have been found. Can't say how I knew it at the time, but there was and is no doubt in my mind that that bear was stalking me for its dinner. Anyways, I scared it off with that shot, and was damn glad I had that shotgun in my hands for the long walk back up the trail to the car.

If I still lived up there now, I expect I'd use a rifle rather than slug gun, either a fast lever rifle such as a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun or a Winchester 1886; or a Savage 99 or Browning BLR chambered in .358 Win, like the M99 I took my 2 black bears last spring with. Or a Remington 760 pump rifle would be a good choice for a man more accustomed to a pump gun than a lever gun. But as your wildlife officer pointed out, the improved penetration of a good rifle bullet will likely work better than any shotgun slug.

Just some random thoughts on this.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars