wabigoon;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope all is well with you and your fine family this bright and sunny morning.

It's more of being a pragmatist than anything else wabigoon. The spot where the social discussion took place was not new to me at all, in fact I want to say I'd already packed a big mature mulie and at least two decent whitetails out of there or within a few hundred meters of it.

So it was that I knew full well how far away the truck was at the time - way, WAY too far. How close I could get it to the carcass - not nearly close enough and finally how my day was going to go if I shot the recalcitrant bruin where we stood. It was - I felt at the time and still in hindsight feel, a much more prudent plan to cuss it out at the top of my lungs first. My good wife calls it my "dog voice" as she's witnessed it a few times when it's come out over the past 36 years we've been together.

The first time was when a large mixed breed mutt came sailing out of a yard towards a group of us as we were walking in a little BC semi-rural hamlet. The folks we were with were young couples as well - one couple from Ontario and one from the Lower Mainland and one couple had a young German Shepherd pup as I recall.

Anyway out of the yard comes this big mutt and I stepped in between it and the pup and explained life to the mutt, who subsequently left and as I turned back to the group they were staring at me in stunned silence. They were sort of quiet for the rest of the visit in fact.

On the way home I asked my young wife - we were both much younger then - what it was I'd said that was so bad. She replied in her usual wise way that the gentle people from urban upbringings had likely never heard a Saskatchewan farm boy tell a dog he was going to cut it's head off, shove it down it's throat and then skin it and make a seat cover with it's hide......

Well..... blush .... I was serious about the seat cover part of the conversation wabigoon and the dog sensed that seriousness! laugh

Anyway, as you very well know, growing up working with all sizes of livestock and large dogs leads one to understand all sorts of things about the animals and ourselves too I suppose doesn't it? Perspective is a wonderful thing I've often said.

All the best to you and yours this summer wabigoon.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"